Human blockhead beginner question...

Sep 30, 2012
So- I've recently become infatuated with learning the trick "The Human Blockhead". So far I have been practicing with q-tips for the past few days. It's really amazing because the first time I tried I got a tremendous feel for the trick and I could instantly feel what was right placement and wrong placement. The thing I don't like about it is that the cotton sort of has an uncomfortable friction to it when it goes into my nose. It's not painful, just uncomfortable, like I can feel it rubbing...

I imagine a smooth nail would have less friction and would be smoother to insert.

Should I stick with the q-tip until I find it comfortable? Or should I find a nail?

If the nail is right...what size should it be?

Thanks for your help!!

Feb 7, 2011
I dont know much about performing the effect, but I do know from previous forum posts that you should not be sticking things up your nose, or trying to learn this effect without the proper help. Message william draven on this forum, I dont remember if he performs it, but he's knows a lot about these stunts.

Hello Lizsuch, I'm very familiar with this stunt as I've been performing it myself for a few years now.

For starters, and this really is nit picking but let's not call this thing a "trick". Especially when performing it. This is a stunt. Using the word "trick" I feel implies a sense of falsehood that isn't there and overall lessens the impact the stunt has on the audience.

The q-tip friction is common. Have you tried placing the q-tip on the tip of your tongue and rolling it a bit, or just quickly sucking on the tip to dampen it with spit before insertion? That usually helps.

Now I'll go ahead and put this out there too... Everyone's body is different, therefore your experiences may be different from mine, but I haven't ever found the nails get "comfortable" when they go in. You always feel them, and depending on how big the nail is you always have a slightly uncomfortable feeling when you do it.

As for the nail size that's really up to you. Everyone's nose is different. Some people can fit a few nails in there, others can only do just one. The more you do it the more you'll open that nasal passage up so the larger nail you'll be able to fit in. Start with a finishing nail, and then just try a couple different nails until you find something that works for you. I recommend lengths of 6 inches to 10 inches. Your nasal passage is only about 8 inches on average from nose to back of throat.

Lastly: Scrub any new nail you use with steel wool and soak it in rubbing alcohol prior to use. You may find it useful to keep alcohol prep pads in your magic case, and rub the nails down once real fast before you perform it to keep it clean. One nasal infection later and you'll be hating life if you don't keep your nails clean.

As a personal disclaimer: I do NOT advocate the learning of this stunt from reading text on the internet. This stunt is risky at best, dangerous at worst. This stunt should be learned from a live instructor who has a history of successfully performing this stunt. Any information in this post should be used for your educational purposes. I am not responsible in anyway shape or form for any personal injury that comes from you attempting to drive steel spikes into your skull.

With that being said I wish you the best of luck! Let us know how things work out for you.

So- I've recently become infatuated with learning the trick "The Human Blockhead". So far I have been practicing with q-tips for the past few days. It's really amazing because the first time I tried I got a tremendous feel for the trick and I could instantly feel what was right placement and wrong placement. The thing I don't like about it is that the cotton sort of has an uncomfortable friction to it when it goes into my nose. It's not painful, just uncomfortable, like I can feel it rubbing...

I imagine a smooth nail would have less friction and would be smoother to insert.

Should I stick with the q-tip until I find it comfortable? Or should I find a nail?

If the nail is right...what size should it be?

Thanks for your help!!

Dec 29, 2011
Would it be necessary to rinse the nails? I can't imagine having rubbing alcohol in your nose would be very pleasant.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I would suggest learning this one on one with somebody who is experienced with it and knows all the ins and outs of it. Otherwise you can end up really hurting yourself.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I agree. Don't call this a trick. If anything it's a stunt.

That aside, I used to practice with the plastic nails that came with that coin penetration effect. They are super smooth and help get you over the "I need to sneeze" sensation pretty quickly.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results