hypnosis fail

Apr 3, 2013
i finished watching the manchurian approach about two weeks ago and have tried to hypnotize about ten different people using different inductions. every single time i tried to hypnotize somebody they just didn't slip into a trance.Even when i went back and rewatched the dvd back about twice i failed.
can anybody tell me why this is happening and what can i do when it happens and what to do to help this.

Thanks

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I might be able to help you.

My first suggestion is to record everything and watch it back. I actually have a separate notebook full of my own critiquing of my hypnosis sessions. I also record both the hypnosis itself, and then I have a discussion with the volunteer afterward to see what they say and feel and think.

Send me a PM and describe to me what you're doing, what you're saying, etc. If you can, record it and put it up somewhere where I can see it (Keep it unlisted or password protected)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Some people just cannot be put under hypnosis, also it's a rehearsal thing. You need to rehearse what and HOW you are going to say it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Some people just cannot be put under hypnosis, also it's a rehearsal thing. You need to rehearse what and HOW you are going to say it.

There's only a fairly small number of people that truly can't do ANYTHING hypnosis related. About 30% of the population. If he tried on 10 people, only 3 should have, statistically, had that much trouble.

Sorry to say - he's doing something wrong.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Spectator/Participant selection is 90% of the challenge, which is why you should always start with preliminary tests in order to find who is the most suggestible in a group. This is a rule we use when doing Muscle Reading as well in that we need the better transmitters in the crowd, especially when you are new at it or haven't practiced in a while.

Do some experiments with a Pendulum prior to attempting the hypnosis and watch for the person that gets the strongest reactions with the pendulum or even their own body sway. Sticking Hands and stiff arm type warm-up will also help you in finding good subjects.

The big thing to understand is that a lot of people will volunteer for a hyp situation out of curiosity and not take it serious; this is very common with college and high school aged "kids" in that they want to be silly and frequently that can be at your expense.

You will find that age, one's physical sense of presence and command have a lot to do with it as well; if you doubt yourself, you've already lost -- you can't be timid! Ormond McGill was a small built man and yet he was able to show that sense of command and walk straight up to most anyone and put them under in a second. I've seen him do it. Then again, he forgot more about Hypnosis that most anyone has ever learned (wrote over 100 books on the subject, most of which were clinical).

Start with the simpler modes of induction and stop trying to be Derren Brown-ish and do handshake inductions or shock inductions; use the tried and proven methods of focus and suggestion initially, until you build up your confidence and success ratios. Work with willing volunteers but work with people that are more a stranger to you than people that know you well; those that know you know your shortcomings and will doubt you can do it; again, this is a hurdle that can be overcome with time but not until you have achieved a level of command.

Learn about your own body language and what it is you project. . . this is something you will benefit from when it comes to the video taping of your sessions; learning to use your physical form as a communication's tool is something that takes practice and awareness but it will go a very long way in all facets of trade craft; it's a part of people management skills when you're on stage.

Hope these few points help you out.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The more I learn about hypnosis the more often I run into people saying that what I do can't be done. It really is kind of like that Neil Gaiman quote, "If you don't know it's impossible, it's easier to do."

My offer to critique you still stands.

Here's how I did it. First, I've been learning along with my buddy. We studied most of the same resources. We also studied for nearly a year before trying anything. He ended up throwing a party and putting a couple people under at that, while I was at Burning Man. So when I got back, he came over and was talking to me about it. My roommate was interested, so my friend put him under, and did some phenomenon. Then he brought my roommate out, and we took a little break. Then I went through the entire process as if he hadn't just been hypnotized. This gave me a chance to try it knowing that it would work because he was essentially still hypnotized.

The next time, my friend hypnotized one person, and I hypnotized someone else, using him as social proof that it would work on the other person.

After that I had the confidence to just put people under myself.

Confidence is extremely important. Speaking clearly is also important. Rushing your words, or seeming nervous, or picking the wrong subject - any of those can sink you before you begin. Wording is also extremely important. The wrong wording knocks people out of it before you can get going. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have had a lot of success with my method of hypnosis so I'm willing to help.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results