I am collecting playing cards. Am I abnormal?

Jan 30, 2018
Hello Everyone,

It has been a year I have started collecting playing card decks. I just love buying and keeping them. I do not even take them out from their seal. That is because, I live in a tropical climate with muggy summers and dry winters. Sometimes I feel weird because neither I do card magic neither I have the time to practice cardistry. I also live in India where, these playing cards come very costly. Sometimes 3x the price as in USA. My question to you learned folks is, am I abnormal?

Thank you!

Here is my small collection and of-course with a few TheoryXI decks.

cards.jpg

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Collecting is a great hobby! Usually when I buy decks, I buy two or three so I can open one and keep some sealed. Someone on the forums here posted a really smart idea about storing cards with silica packets. These help absorb nearby moisture. A smart idea that I've started to do as a precaution. Which ones are your favorite?

Reactions: highvictorian
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I recently opened up a drawer that had stuff from when I was a kid. I found a pile of rocks. You're like 10 times cooler than me already.

A lot of people actually collect decks just to have them. You're perfectly good :)

Jul 26, 2016
I had to slow down after two years of ordering a custom deck almost every week. Thought I was gonna have to call DA (Deck-a-holics Anonymous). I open mine though, cuz it's so great to look at the cards, use them for magic and flourishes, they are like works of art. I almost make a little ceremony out of it very time I "unbox" one of them.

Jan 30, 2018
Collecting is a great hobby! Usually when I buy decks, I buy two or three so I can open one and keep some sealed. Someone on the forums here posted a really smart idea about storing cards with silica packets. These help absorb nearby moisture. A smart idea that I've started to do as a precaution. Which ones are your favorite?

Silica gel is great but have to be re-heated again (preferably in a microwave). A dry box meant to use Camera accessories can be a good option but they are kind of costly. My favourite decks so far are : RUN, Contraband, National and Steam Punk. I have never handled the Contraband and National decks but I love their designs. Piece of art they are.

Jan 30, 2018
I had to slow down after two years of ordering a custom deck almost every week. Thought I was gonna have to call DA (Deck-a-holics Anonymous). I open mine though, cuz it's so great to look at the cards, use them for magic and flourishes, they are like works of art. I almost make a little ceremony out of it very time I "unbox" one of them.

I am ordering 2 - 3 every month but hey, they are very costly when ordered from here! And although I want to open them but my OCD does not allow me to do so!

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Feb 1, 2017
Nice looking collection you got there. Be a shame if I opened all of them, handled them for hours till they got sticky, got spectators to sign all the faces, and held them close to my body till they got a click in them...and then returned each deck to the wrong tuck case. :)

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Nice looking collection you got there. Be a shame if I opened all of them, handled them for hours till they got sticky, got spectators to sign all the faces, and held them close to my body till they got a click in them...and then returned each deck to the wrong tuck case. :)
You're a monster...
:D

Aug 15, 2017
Hello Everyone,

It has been a year I have started collecting playing card decks. I just love buying and keeping them. I do not even take them out from their seal. That is because, I live in a tropical climate with muggy summers and dry winters. Sometimes I feel weird because neither I do card magic neither I have the time to practice cardistry. I also live in India where, these playing cards come very costly. Sometimes 3x the price as in USA. My question to you learned folks is, am I abnormal?

Thank you!

Here is my small collection and of-course with a few TheoryXI decks.

View attachment 3435
Of course you are not abnormal...in fact, you are one of the most awesome people out there.
You are a bit mad, yes...
But it is the mad who become famous :) :) :)

Jun 3, 2013
Your no more abnormal than the millions of other collectors out there. Just go on eBay and look at all of the different categories that people collect from. Its absolutely mind numbing all of the things people collect these days and I am certainly no different. My father got me into collecting at a very young age and it just stuck. Being a collector has been one of the most consistent aspects of my entire life and I collect in a LOT of different markets. It seems like each year that passes adds something new to the list.

I currently collect playing cards (mostly limited edition decks, but I do buy the occasional regular deck here and there), comics (mostly golden age and silver age), original comic art, limited edition prints/lithographs, antique/vintage camera's & lenses, antique/vintage Kodak memorabilia, Polaroid SX70 camera's, 1:4 & 1:3 statues (mostly from Sideshow & Prime 1), replica weapons (mostly sci-fi related), space/NASA memorabilia, wildlife stamps & first day issues, art books & sketch books, vintage Belstaff & Barbour jackets, etc. I try and fund a lot of my collecting hobbies by selling as well as buying. For example, I purchased multiple bricks of all of Jackson Robinson's Kickstarter campaign cards like the Federal 52 Parts 1 & 2, Legal Tender, Independence etc. and sell them off over time to fund other purchases. I usually buy multiple copies of limited edition prints and sell off the other copies after they are sold out. I even started buying 2 of some of Sideshow's statues and selling the 2nd one off to help pay for the first one. I recently did it with Will Harbottle's Red Sonja Statue and it basically wound up paying for the statue I kept.

As for the humidity issue, your best bet is to buy Pelican's small silica gel canisters. Here is a picture:

pldsg.jpg

They are 4 inches long by 2 inches wide and 1/2 an inch thick. You can find these on Amazon as well as lots of other sites as well. Just google "Pelican silica gel canister" and you will get plenty of options on where you can buy these. The great thing about these canisters is they have an indicator right on the top (the small round thing in the middle) that changes color when it becomes saturated with water. They literally last forever. Once it gets saturated all you have to do is stick in your oven for a 2 hours at 250 degree's and its good to go again. I literally own about 75 of these canisters. I'm a professional photographer and I keep one in all of my camera bags and cases, plus I keep them in various boxes with all of my various collectibles. As long as you use these and you keep an eye on the indicator, you won't have to worry about humidity damaging whatever it is your trying to protect. And there are larger sized canisters you can buy for larger area's, like to put inside cabinets. I have a couple big one's in my cabinets where I store all my photography negatives. I have been using these canisters for over 20 years and they really are amazing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results