I don't want but I want...

Jul 13, 2010
[Sarcasm] I want the 'Collected Works of Alex Elmsley', but I can`t because it`s out of print and I don`t want to pay 150$ up to 400$ or more for a used copy. What should I do ? [/Sarcasm]

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
[Sarcasm] I want the 'Collected Works of Alex Elmsley', but I can`t because it`s out of print and I don`t want to pay 150$ up to 400$ or more for a used copy. What should I do ? [/Sarcasm]

At $150 per book those books are worth it. If they threw in a free deck... Then that would be an amazing deal.

I have heard that the Elmsley books are amazing and they are on my someday list. I guess for now I'd rather spend the money on books that are in print and get three or four books for that price. I guess that is what our decisions should come down to, what is the best use of your magic budget. I keep a list of the stuff that I'm interested in. My general rule is to wait six months after something gets added to the list to buy it. I also make myself think of my presentation for the effect - so i know how I would use the effect or gimmick. You would be amazed how much stuff drops off the list in that time.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Reality One's strategy / idea is good. Many of us fall victim to the hype of products and make an impulsive purchase. He shared this with me awhile back and it definitely saves some money in your wallet. I would say half of the times I wanted something, a few months later, after I had rationalized it a bit more, it was something I didn't need.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I tend to go by a different theory/approach. I will see something (either a book/Gimmick/DVD) and think to myself if will actually enjoy learning it and actually use it. As well as the practicality of said item. If I know it's not going to be used or well be unpractical or no fun to learn, then I don't put it on my list. I used to have a huge list of things and now it's down to maybe 2-3 books left and I still have to go through some of my other DVD's and books and decide if I want to work on things from there or not.

Jul 13, 2010
Reality One's strategy / idea is good. Many of us fall victim to the hype of products and make an impulsive purchase. He shared this with me awhile back and it definitely saves some money in your wallet. I would say half of the times I wanted something, a few months later, after I had rationalized it a bit more, it was something I didn't need.
It is, and I normally don`t buy something right after the release. I will first read some reviews and wait till the hype sinks in.
The Elmsley books are on my "Wanted" list for some years now but I will wait for a reprint.
Before I buy something on impulse, I read Darwin Ortiz article "The next book syndrome".
I´m not immune (just immune to new custom decks ;)). However, my latest impulse buy simply was maybe the best magic item I´ve ever purchased ("A book in English"). 100% my taste. It has exceeded my expectations by far.
I have to mention I don`t read magic books just for effects , sleights or theory, but also for historical reasons, research and informations about the author and his/her work.

Last edited by a moderator:

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It is, and I normally don`t buy something right after the release. I will first read some reviews and wait till the hype sinks in.
The Elmsley books are on my "Wanted" list for some years now but I will wait for a reprint.
Before I buy something on impulse, I read Darwin Ortiz article "The next book syndrome".
I´m not immune (just immune to new custom decks ;)). However, my latest impulse buy simply was maybe the best magic item I´ve ever purchased ("A book in English"). 100% my taste. It has exceeded my expectations by far.
I have to mention I don`t read magic books just for effects , sleights or theory, but also for historical reasons, research and informations about the author and his/her work.

They are on my list too. As is Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic (the book), Greater Magic (Kauffman Edition), Robert Neale's Life Death and Other Card Tricks and a bunch of others.

I'm with you on books. Books are my weakness... I just got Votex by Tom Stone and Gift Magic which is edited by Larry Haas. Great books. Great effects. Great thinking.

My Christmas list this year is all books - Steimeyer's Conjuring, Steinmeyer's Technique and Understanding, Robert Neale's Magic Matters and Larry Haas's Transformations.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow David....when do you fit all of that reading in? Ha Ha. My house is chaos with my kids running around and such until about 10 PM when the house is quiet. Nice list of books.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Wow David....when do you fit all of that reading in? Ha Ha. My house is chaos with my kids running around and such until about 10 PM when the house is quiet. Nice list of books.

I try to read some every night after things quiet down (around 9 or 10). Also, been taking the train in to work so that is 45 minutes each way I can read (usually Genii or e-books on my iPad) or check in on the forums. The theory books go faster than the books with effects which take a lot more effort to work through. I tag effects that I want to learn or incorporate in a routine and go back to them later to work on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results