I need help with this effect

B

Ben_Ionesco

Hey all,

Ive been working on an effect recently and its developing at an ok rate but i was wondering if any of you could help me out with it. The effect is like this:

1) The spectator picks 8 random cards from the deck and passes them to me.
2) I spread them and tell him/her to glance one card and remember it.
3) Then i slowly narrow down the 8 cards until im left with just the selection, at no time is the selection ever spoken. For this ive been showing and placeing four cards in each hand and then picking a hand, and then again, and again, and so on, etc.

The thing is there are some signs you pick up on which may hint to you which one they picked. I guess what i was wondering is if anyone would have any ideas on how to increase the odds of me picking the right card higher than 50 % sort of thing. Feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nov 25, 2008
there is a effect in max maven's spectrum where the deck is shuffled by the spec and the top 5 cards are taken and another card is taken and mixed with them.The card can be found out.More than 5 cards can also be taken.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
To be really coy with it use a variation of the pateo force. However it still seems like a very magician only effect. What I mean is that a spectator knows that there are 52 cards in a deck (yes I have heard numbers ranging from 47 to 63) You took 8 out and had them think of one. How is that (in their eyes) different to a force or a glimpse.

I am sorry if I am sounding rude but this seems like you are trying to fry other magician's.

This effect also subconscienly to the spec why did I pick out the 8 cards. Why did I not just think of one out of the deck.

I would love to discuss some ideas with you however there is that idea about you created a soultion to a problem that is not being asked.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You might want to look into an e-book written by a wonderful man by the name of Thomas Baxter, called "NOT a Dianoetic Rage". Amongst many delightful things, he goes over a Spread Force - spreading the cards for the spectator to merely look at one and remember it - but it's a force.

This type of force has its roots in Erdnase, and Revelations, and also has been worked on by guys like whatshisface who has the legendary ACAAN - ah, ****, it'll come to me, hold on, right as I type this I'm trying real time to think - DAVID BERGLAS - of his name. There we go. :p

Nov 29, 2008
There is a similar effect in Royal Road to Card Magic, which i hope you own. Its in the glimpses section called Round and Round. It uses ten cards, and only one sleight is needed, but ti should produce your desired effect.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
There are a number of ways to do this. The easiest, I would say, is to force a card, mentally mark (meaning remember) where it is located among the 8, and then do a magician's force. Rather simple.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results