I need some advice on releasing an effect

Dec 5, 2015
I need some help/advice since I really don't know what to do. Last year I created an effect that I call the Pocket Séance.

Story is based on the Curse of the Crying Boy

The basic idea is:
In 1985 in the UK a tabloid called the Sun reported over 50,000 house fires in a span of a few months. The strange thing about these fires was that nobody could figure out how these fires started. Plus each of these houses had in their possession at the time a certain painting that within the rubble was the only item that remained untouched by the flames. The performer presents a packet of photos and an envelope that one may have in their household; however, one of these photos is the cursed painting. The performer guides a spectator in an out of body experience where they experience one of these house fires. During this experience the spectator walks down a hallway of paintings and at the end of the hallway they come across an empty painting frame with a number. The spectator remembers that number as the performer brings them out of the trance. Based on their number they end up with a single painting from the packet. The performer references the envelope that's been in view the whole time and shows a copy of the actual article the tabloid published on October 24th with a picture of a family standing in their burned down house holding the exact painting the spectator ended up with.

As I was about to finish the write up for the effect someone emailed me saying that someone published a similar effect as me on Penguin Magic. Someone beat me by a few years since there was a download with the exact handling of version one and had the same topic. The thing that separated mine from his was:

1) I had two extra handling I had developed(one being a multiple out version and a bonus effect)
3) The handling of the tabloid article is different
2) Worked more on the scripting focusing more on the spectator(he had more of a fast passed approach)
3) Had different approaches when it came to the reveal(utilizing Instagram and something else)
4) I was going to provide all the photos(both articles and paintings through a google drive link)

The main thing I need advice is what to do? I know if I were to put this out I am going to put his name in the credits. If I were to publish this should I just put the two extra variations or include all three variation?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Have you contacted the other creator yet? Hopefully they would give you permission to teach their handling but I can see how doing that may dig into their sales if your release offers that handling and more.
Another option is changing the main handling to differ enough from theirs for you to use, but I’m going to guess it’s similar because of method and or logistics and any changes would likely weaken it?
Honestly “just” releasing 2 variations isnt bad.

Another option is to team with the other creator and release it all including printed props....a further off proposal that’s a shot in the dark. But that’s par for the course when asking questions on the internet! 172 days to Halloween if that matters to ya.

p.s. I’m the peanut gallery here...hopefully some creators will give you some solid advice!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You should definitely contact the other creator and let him know what's going on. If it's who I think it is, his reputation is that he's a fairly chill guy. I'm sure you'll be able to come to some kind of deal. If not - it's up to you to decide if your creation truly is unique enough to warrant a separate release.

Unpopular opinion response - Don't publish it as is. Rework it to eliminate anything unnatural like counting cards to a certain number or even any kind of dealing. That's not how seances are done. What you have described in your first post is a portion of a seance followed by a card trick. Seances don't have "tada" moments.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
In 1985 in the UK a tabloid called the Sun reported over 50,000 house fires in a span of a few months.

Does the other effect have the same presentation regarding the Crying Boy painting? If so, then I wouldn't release it. The presentation is the best part of the effect, so unfortunately "great minds think alike." Also, is the 50,000 number based in fact? It seems awfully high.

During this experience the spectator walks down a hallway of paintings and at the end of the hallway they come across an empty painting frame with a number. The spectator remembers that number as the performer brings them out of the trance. Based on their number they end up with a single painting from the packet.

Similar to what @WitchDocIsIn said, you lost me at seeing a painting with a number. Using a number makes it look suspicious. There are enough methods that you could use to force the card with the painting on it without resorting to a mathematical number force.

Reactions: JoshL8
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results