I need your help!

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
Hello everybody,

I need your help, suggestions, tips and tricks with putting up a very short "magic show" for my school.
The thing is this.
The class that will be finishing school this year is allowed to celebrate a little party on their last day of school.
This is my class and on the third of april we have our last day.
The party is celebrated under the motto "Abi Geller - The Stage is Yours!"
This was taken from a show of Uri Geller that was aired in Germany. He always said "The stage is yours" to the performer.

I was asked by my class to set up a little magic show. Only 10 minutes or so. Nothing big. It doesnt need a introduction. It just has to be entertaining.
I have a friend that also knows how to do some magic and will set this up with me together.
We both do not have any idea of stage magic.
What we need is something that involves some teachers, can be learned and hopefully partially mastered in 1 month and will entertain the croud.

Im not thinking about vanishing people or something like this.
Just maybe a funny routine that i can do with my friend together. I think we have the possibility to have a beamer showing what were doing on a wall.

I hope you have some ideas.
I trust in your experience guys.
And I know that the time is far to short to master something new but dont think too difficult. We have the possibility to buy transforming things etc. but it may take to long to be shipped to Germany.

Many thanks in advance!
Feel free to ask questions as i left out many details for sure.

niX.

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Will this be on a stage? Or is it more of a close-up / parlor style situation. I just want to clarify before I go talking about the wrong thing :p

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
It will be on a stage. i think the people will stand in front of me, and a bit to my sides.
I dont think i can get some big stagemagic done. I think there will be a beamer projecting everything on the wall.
I think i will have to interact with the teachers or do something alone or with my friend.

Apr 27, 2008
Ill list the best ones that have worked for me, Smart Ass and Fiber Optics, if your audience can see everything then these are the best two for you especially since smart ass is a comedy routine and fiber optics is taught by richard sanders who uses some goofy humor in performing it. Mjmmagic.com btw

Oct 3, 2007
germany
I also 100% recommend the fiber optics routine. You can get the DVD from:

http://www.stemaro-magic.de/

They are Germany based and shipping to me (suberbs of München) usually only takes about 2 days. It's a highly visual rope routine. Great for stage, and close up. You can also get rope quite cheaply at stemaro aswell.

Something else you could try though, if people are closer to you, is some simple card force mentalism. That would be a good introductory effect. Pacts small (or rather, simple) and plays big.

Please don't insult the art by giving a half assesd performance. All shows should have an introduction even if it's "hi I'm so and so and I'm a magician".

I recomend axtel boards, ghost house (mark Wilson), tossed out deck, stan Kate and edith, a book test or a straitjacket escape.

Sep 1, 2007
Germany
Hi,
thank you for your help so far.
I didnt mean to disrespect our art in any way.
I just wanted to say that this is a very short act and its important that it is entertaining and visual.
I think Fibre Optics is great and i will look into it but I am not sure if I can perfect it in approx. 3 weeks.

There will be many people and it will be some kind of party atmosphere with loud music etc. I can chose my own music for my show but I think the tricks will have to fit to the atmosphere.

I really like Smart-ass as it would be great to involve one of our teachers and i think the tossed out deck would be perfect for involving some of the other students.

I am not quite sure for a routine with Axtel Boards that would fit this situation.
I also thought of Silent Treatment but im wondering if this trick would work as a crowd effect. Will everybody be thinking of the same card?

But well Silent treatment is a silent act.
What do you think of Bill Abbotts "The Thing"? This would also be silent and visual. Maybe i could go for a whole act without talking.

The magic Rubiks Cube and Kollossal Killer also came to my mind while thinking about this act.

I think Im going to show 2 or 3 tricks and Im not quite sure what i should combine.
What would you say?

Thank you very much so far!
niX.

*edit
A sealed envelope effect could be really great. The prediction could be made at the beginning of the party and when it is my turn I could reveal it.
Do you know the prediction effect where you have a Envelope with a Cd-case in it which is wrapped in Rubberbands?
And in this case there is the card thats the spectator choses.
I like the style and think this could enhance the act.
Anyone knows how the effect is called?

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results