If you have Linking cigarettes by Akira Fuji

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
Guys, I recently came across a video of Danny's original free trick he was giving away,
here is the video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKh57QSL6JI&feature=youtu.be

If you have the linking cigarettes, would you not agree with me that this effect has mechanics similar to Linking Cigs. At least similar enough to be credited??

I genuinely thought that Danny did not know linking Cigs and independently came up with this effect so I suggested that Akira be credited. However Danny responded saying that he knew Linking Cigs and its mechanics were different.

Are you serious? The penetration is almost exactly on the same principle.

If I were to use "Crazy Man's handcuffs" to do a rubberband through ring, I would not call it a different effect or even my effect.

I truely Love Garcia's products and I still consider myself his fan. But Biases aside, people who know LC by Akira, what do you think of this trick?

Also here is a transcript from Danny's page showing our comments:

Ibi Mania: The linking cigarette has a similar working so I guess it should have been named/credited

The Official Daniel Garcia Fan PageL Ibi :: I am very familiar with crediting and when it is needed and appropriate. I am also very familiar with linking cigarettes and it's mechanics, which are completely different as everyone can see. Please refrain from "policing" my page with inaccurate information. Thanks.

Ibi Mania: Akira Fuji's linking cigarettes do have a similar move at penetration. Your trick does have a new angle and approach, it also is a different effect from the spectator's point of view. However, broadly speaking, the mechanics are close enough for Akira to be named/credited and that is just my opinion.

I am sorry if that displeases you but I will be alright with not commenting on the page any further. I would not have commented in the first place if I had known you were to take a suggestion so personally.

P.S. I did not know that you knew LC by Akira and genuinely believed that your effect was an independent discovery.

Looking forward to your new material.
All the best.

Ibi Mania: Just to be specific:
Holding stick/Cig between index and middlefinger, tilting the stick with both fingers to make an opening at the thumb right at the penetration.
Those are there in Akira's work as well as your above given trick.

I understand that he is a great inventor and a big name in magic, but no one is beyond crediting.

Just my opinion.
I intend no disrespect.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
Actually I think both the effects are far off from each other, given they do have similarities, Akira Fuji's effect is very difficult to execute with perfection to get it to look like "real magic". Also in my opinion Danny's mechanics of the move is not anything like Akira Fuji's, if you do what Danny does, the cigarettes would break.

Jul 13, 2009
Just saying the mechanics are the same as the linking match sticks taught in every other magic book, party trick, and bar stunt related media. Nothing new here and not worth telling others that references needs to be addressed.

Edit:

After finally able to see the video, the effects from a spectator point of view are different and definitely does not warrant a reference police.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
Just saying the mechanics are the same as the linking match sticks taught in every other magic book, party trick, and bar stunt related media. Nothing new here and not worth telling others that references needs to be addressed.

Edit:

After finally able to see the video, the effects from a spectator point of view are different and definitely does not warrant a reference police.

First of all you agree that it is similar to the linking matches,
Now if you get Akira's effect, you will notice that it is even more similar to it (especially the positioning between two fingers).

Now please pay attention where Danny suggests the mechanics are completely different. Here it has been suggested even by FormlessMars22 that there are some similarities.

That being said,

Your point that it looks different to the spectator so it does not require a reference is not a strong one and I respectfully disagree with it.

For an audience member, a coin vanish is different from a coin through table you can use a french drop to accomplish both.
For an audience member, a coloar changing card and a vanishing ink on a card are different yet both can be done by a top change.

If you are using a principle used in print/published, you should first of all cite it and if you cannot, then at least dont say that the mechanics are "Completely different".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results