I'm not interested in performing, would that be a problem?

Aug 22, 2015
Hello magicians, how are you?

I've been really thinking about starting a youtube channel and publish some of the magic tricks I created (probably some of them already exists, might adjust if necessary).

I'm also thinking about submiting to Theory11.

The thing is, I'm not interested in performing magic for people, I only enjoy creating and crafting new effects.

Would that be a problem?

Thanks!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Find yourself someone who does like performing and have them do that part.

If a trick isn't performed regularly, you'll never figure out the little nuances that make it work. A lot of stuff seems great when you come up with it, and then you realize it's just not practical in reality when you try to do it.

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Find yourself someone who does like performing and have them do that part.

If a trick isn't performed regularly, you'll never figure out the little nuances that make it work. A lot of stuff seems great when you come up with it, and then you realize it's just not practical in reality when you try to do it.

Exactly, many of the subtitles come out as a trick is performed for real people, and you discover certain little bits of misdirection or patter that give the effect greater impact.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Here's the deal: Edison's DC circuit looked good on paper, but there's a reason Tesla's AC circuit is the one we use. Tesla ended up actually testing his w/ real life conditions, and realized that significantly less power is needed, and seeing as no one knew 2 figs about electricity, Tesla wins.

You might have an effect. It might work in a "laboratory setting". But the moment you try and perform it for someone in the real world, an indefinite amount of variables will hit you. If you don't use trial and error, you will never achieve the best effect you can. Trust, me I was the same way when I first started, but started loving to perform, and then realized just what my effects need to deal with irl. The effects you release may be good, but only until people realize it could be better, or it is unperformable.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Probably somewhere in the range of 80% of the things I come up with don't survive the first version of the trick. I always have to change things to make them better/workable/practical.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Ok, so you are basically telling myself that I should test my tricks with a public.

Thanks! Will do!
Yup! Good luck! Now one thing you should remember is that you should make sure you're doing it in the right scenario. For example, if you are doing a tabled gambling routine, make sure it works at a table, but certainly try and adapt it to a street scenario. You want to practice it many times. Do it with friends, family, and then the public, and work on it for a while.

Reactions: Lindel
Mar 15, 2017
You can always be a magic consultant, though, you probably won't get much recognition outside of working/performing magicians.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
You can always be a magic consultant, though, you probably won't get much recognition outside of working/performing magicians.

I don't think its fair for anyone to critique someone's performance if they themselves don't know how to actually perform. Besides, you would probably fail since no one would come to you if others are available.

Mar 15, 2017
I don't think its fair for anyone to critique someone's performance if they themselves don't know how to actually perform. Besides, you would probably fail since no one would come to you if others are available.
I think you misunderstood me, I meant to say that magic consultants rarely get any recognition, while it's mostly the performer that gets the credit.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I think you misunderstood me, I meant to say that magic consultants rarely get any recognition, while it's mostly the performer that gets the credit.
No, I got that. I'm just saying he shouldn't be a consultant if he doesn't or hasn't had a ton of experience performing.

Its gonna be like having a Latin teacher sub in for a Latin class - He'll think everything is near perfect.

Mar 15, 2017
No, I got that. I'm just saying he shouldn't be a consultant if he doesn't or hasn't had a ton of experience performing.

Its gonna be like having a Latin teacher sub in for a Latin class - He'll think everything is near perfect.
Ah okay, fair enough.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results