Impromptu Out Of This World?

Jul 13, 2010
I know. I was just being snarky and implying that Relaxed Impossibilities is better because I'm a Stephen Minch fanboy.
Oh sorry, didn`t get it ;)
I'm also a Minch fan. Great Writer. "Carneycopia", "Collected Works of Alex Elmsley" (although I just own the ebooks) and "Books of Wonders" are my favorites. Other gems on my list (which I hope to get sometimes in the future) are "Kort", "Vernon Chronicles" and "Ultra Cervon".

@Philipp
As Krab1 stated, you don`t need a color separation with the Grant or Lorayne version. Both are totally impromptu, no separation needed before, not a single sleight needed. The "dirty" work lies within the way you present it and everything is totally justified, unsuspicious and fooling (I assume the Grant version is similar ?!).
However if you want ways of arranging a deck right under a spectators nose, Juan Tamariz "Mnemonica" offers several methods for this, but a "bit" of an overkill if you just want to learn a color separation.
Three "separations" I like:
- GAS (Green Angle Separation). The one Lorayne constantly criticizes because it is too similar to "his" The Great Divide. In my mind, GAS is better.
- Woody Aragon`s Separagon ("A book in English"). Great if you have a more sloppy, careless style of card handling and a table.
- The Cull. I personally love the Cull. You will use it forever and not just for this trick. It`s a devious, universal weapon (the "swiss knife" of card magic sleights IMO) and in my opinion fun to practice.

My advice would be don`t buy the Lorayne book, it`s too pricey just for the trick (or with Lorayne`s words: "Don`t buy my book!" ;) ). Go with Krab1`s advice.

Apr 17, 2013
I can't remember Harry's version off the top of my head but I know the Grant version is from 1943. The original OOTW is from 42 and Harry's is from like 62. While Harry's book is good and has some other killer effects in it like the ten card poker deal, it's not worth getting for one effect like Chris has said.

Jul 13, 2010
I researched a bit and I came across a book dedicated to OOTW, called "Best of All Worlds".
I assume it also contains the version by U.F. Grant (he`s on the list of contributers) unless he had published several OOTW-routines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 17, 2013
I own a few of his books as well as some of his props. From like the 1930's into the 60's if you were buying magic, you were buying his stuff. The man knew how to market and make effects. I only know of his 1943 version of the effect.

Nicholas17

Elite Member
May 28, 2008
Kentucky
Although it's been mentioned a few times, I recommend Kostya Kimlat's Roadrunner Cull for the color separation. It takes practice, but it's one of the most useful things I can do with a deck of cards, and was very much worth the effort.

One thing I haven't yet seen recommended is Derren Brown's Out of this World routine found on The Devil's Picturebook DVD, although looking at his online store, I'm not sure if he sells that anymore. For OotW, I personally use The Roadrunner Cull to get ready, and then a slightly altered version of Derren Brown's routine. Works like a charm, although, as Derren says on the video, it isn't perfect and takes some balls.

I skimmed through everything, but I apologize if I missed it if someone else already posted this, but there is a great impromptu version of this trick on Michael Ammar's video "The Exciting World of Magic", & Ammar says it is based on Paul Currey's version. It is 100% impromptu, can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck, so no resets or deck switches needed.

Apr 17, 2013
I skimmed through everything, but I apologize if I missed it if someone else already posted this, but there is a great impromptu version of this trick on Michael Ammar's video "The Exciting World of Magic", & Ammar says it is based on Paul Currey's version. It is 100% impromptu, can be done with a borrowed, shuffled deck, so no resets or deck switches needed.

That sounds like the Gen grant version there is no reset no switches. All version of out of this world is based on Paul Curry's version since his was the 1942 release.

Nov 9, 2013
I haven't really been following this thread, but I do recommend Binary Code by Rick Lax as a lead in to OOTW.

That sounds like the Gen grant version there is no reset no switches. All version of out of this world is based on Paul Curry's version since his was the 1942 release.

Its been awhile since I watched the tape, but I think I do remember Ammar mentioning Gen Grant. Ive used this version with great responses. A perfect card trick & wether you have your own cards or someone hands you a deck & says "Do a trick", & you dont have time to set them up, or cant think of what else to do, this is a great go to can do anytime type of effect.

Jul 13, 2010
Harry's own impromptu OOTW is much stronger, and I am even willing to credit Harry himself with the trick even though it is borrowed mostly if not wholly from U. F. Grant.
I came across the above quote in another Forum. Seems like Mr. Loraynes version is more or less the same as the U.F. Grant version and he (Lorayne) did steal it.
Can anyone confirm that both are the same ?

Nov 12, 2013
My go-to is a simple mesika loop. So versatile, so impromptu, so powerful. An impromptu pk touch routine or moving straw is the best in my opinion

Jun 8, 2012
I know this thread is a while old, but i wanted to mention Dunn's Deal from Paul Harris' True Astonishments.. Probably my favourite OOTW style effect. You do need culling skills but you get used to it, I do it impromptu a lot. The presentation connects very well with spectators too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results