Improving The World: Lebanon

Improving the World... One Interaction At A Time.
A Performers Guide to Cultural Interactions
By William Draven

As an actor at a major motion picture studio, and theme park in Hollywood, as well as a magician I frequently get the opportunity to entertain for from all over the world. A year ago or so a document was released within our entertainment department that outlined different countries, and some good information you can use to create meaningful, lasting encounters with their people.

I immediately saw the advantage of this information for the magician community because what are we if not entertainers? We can use just about any tool at our disposal to help create that one magic moment with our audience that can make it even that much more memorable. So I got permission to share the information with you. Of course this project will take some time to post up, so I'll be updating this based upon two factors. The first being how well received, and appreciated it is from you the community, and the second how relevant the community feels this information is as applied to their lives. That is to say if not encouraged, I won't keep it up. Otherwise, I'll post new threads titled: "Improving The World: {country name}" that that specific file relates to.

Without any further delay, I bring you our next country: Lebanon

Continental Location: Middle East
What They Call Themselves: Lebanese
Primary Language: Lebanese Arabic
Secondary Language: French
Prominent Cities: Beirut [capital], Tripoli
Currency: The Lebanese Pound

Starter Phrases (Phonetic):
Hello: Mar-Haba
Please: men fadlak (male), men fadlik (female)
Thank you: Shoo kran

Cultural Notes:
Prominent People/ Celebrities: Casey Kasem (Voice of Shaggy from “Scooby-Doo;” American DJ); Jamie Farr (Actor, “M*A*S*H”); Salma Hayek (Actress is ¼ Lebanese); Catherine Keener (Actress is ½ Lebanese); Tony Shaloub (Emmy Winning actor, “Monk”); Tom Shadyac (Director, “Evan Almighty”, “Bruce Almighty”, “Liar Liar”); Danny Thomas (Actor, “Father Knows Best”)
-Lebanon became independent of French Colonial rule during WWII. Prior to that, Lebanon was part of the Ottoman Empire.
-November 22 is the Lebanese Independence Day.
-This small country is bordered to the West by the Mediterranean Sea.
-The Lebanese flag features the cedar tree. Now depleted, there were once huge forests of the “Cedars of Lebanon”.
-Lebanese Cedars were used to construct Solomon’s Temple which housed the Ark of the Covenant in Jerusalem (modern day Israel).
-Famed author Khalil Gibran who wrote “The Prophet” was Lebanese.
-Many Lebanese are Muslim.
-Delicious Lebanese foods you might be familiar with: tabouleh, hummus & shawarma.

Topics To Avoid:
Conflict with Israel, typical for many people from the Middle East.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results