In the Presence of Enemies Pt.1

Please tell me someone on this forum can understand the reference in the title of this thread.

This is part one 1 of a 2 part thread I will be doing over the next little while. The purpose of which is to warn you about all the problems I have had while doing street routines.

The many enemies of myself in card magic and how to defeat them.

Mirrored sunglasses - The most painful of all enemies in my opinion, If you can avoid them, DO SO. If you cannot however, my recommendation is to get them to face a bright light, which will cause the mirror to fade to a degree and allow you to get the faintest outline of thier retinas and in turn allow you to misdirect once again.

Angles - Crowd control is important. My favorite way to avoid angles is to ask the spectator to move due to the weather (too bright here, which also works indoors under bright lights or its too windy here) or go with the old, "step back, this is a very difficult process" right before the climax of the effect (pulling the bag out on indecent, etc)

Hecklers - Best way in my opinion, to beat a heckler, is to simply use a bat (haha). Sorry, all kidding aside, the best way is to simply turn the crowd against the heckler. Re adjust your routine to move one of your harder hitting, uncatchable effects (Not tremendously hard hitting, something like 2CM or Here then There) to the heckler, right near the point where he thinks he's the smartest man alive. The crowd will get a laugh out of you stumping the heckler and he will simply shut his stupid mouth (Usually, no garauntees). If that does'nt work and he is a major magic spoiler (knows all the moves and is just a jerk) then as much as I dont like saying this, but you either have to ask him nicely (A smile and "hey man, would you mind keeping these secret? I am trying to show people who want to see it as well" Or if it really comes down to it, make an excuse to leave (hungry usually works, "I'm starved so I gotta grab some lunch, thanks for watching guys and feel free to spread the name around)

Weather - I hate weather. If its hot cards stick together. If its cold your handling goes down due to cold hands. My biggest hot button though is wind. The biggest thing to do is, if its hot, riffle shuffle and bridge your deck a few times before each performance. If its cold, work on your flourishing or just fondle the deck in between performance to keep your hands warm. If its windy, (THIS IS IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ THIS) make sure the wind is either coming from your back or from your front. Not from the sides. I have had so many DL's blown apart by the wind going across the width of the cards in between them, seperating them and sending one on the ground. If your cards do seperate, blame it on the stickiness of the cards due to them being old and complain about needing to head up and to *whereever you can buy cards nearby* and see if you can swindle the cashier out of a deck of cards in a game of high card low card. (usually gets a good laugh).

Trick Decks - If someone asks to inspect an invisible deck or your svengali, if you use one) My best bet to you is simply a deck switch or a quick "I really would let you inspect it but I REALLY have to go. I am already late so stopping here would make my , boss, mom, freind etc very angry. Sorry. I swear their normal cards though." That usually works.

Custom Decks - When a layman thinks you have a trick deck because you use nothing but ghosts, vipers, guardians etc, tell them "inspect to your hearts content, its a plain deck of custom bicycles" spread it sloppily in front of them, until you reach a duplicate you may have, make a quick pass to the top. Grab the duplicate off the top via palming, and reach into your pocket to "pull out a sharpie or quarter" and ditch the dup.

Thats all for now, As I reach more enemies I shall post how to vanquish them.
Look for part 2 next month.

I'm sure this won't help any advanced people, but I made it for the beginners so if you like it let me know. Also let me know if you understand the title reference.

Sep 4, 2007
nice

Nice post. But i would dissagree with the sunglasses thing. I do an effect where they take a card half out of a fan facing them and you know what it is. You just watch the relfection. IT KILLS.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm going to add that some good patter for ditching cards and pulling out a sharpie is telling them to inspect the sharpie that you either have used already or will use later on if he's that suspicious.

Also tell him you have cards hidden in the inside of your underwear, and if he wants to check, feel free, but if you reach back it's not because your scratching your ass, it's because your getting cards.

~Beans

It's a nice post. These things should naturally become easier too, because after time you'll get more and more of these. If you do ever get a heckler who knows all the moves, a funny line off The Real Secrets of Magic is "Hey, since you know all the tricks, why don't we switch places! You can be the magician and I can be the (bleep)hole!" It usually makes them blush or at least, everyone laugh.

Sep 1, 2007
if they ask to see the deck, I would say like "well if you can't see it well enough move closer, but it's still going to look amazing." and if they smirk and kinda laugh I start into another effect either to cut them off or if they follow up with the "I mean look through it" I'll say I will but I just started something, just watch for me." and it's usually the end of that question, if you want to be safe just start your closer and then put the deck away go into something else with coins or leave.

~Beans

Good post, and I like your idea about the decks and stuff and saying "You've never seen a deck before" that's pretty funny. But, my tricks I do are usually funny routines or laid-back so this advice is awesome. Good job.

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
sounds like pulp fiction,

or some kind of book that has dramatic chapter lines.

harry potter?

no? well thats all I got.

~Beans

Sep 2, 2007
I agree with a good bit of that, except for the thing about hecklers. First of all, I never "deal with" hecklers. If the heckler is annoying other people, I generally let them band against him. If not, and he starts to say something or says "I saw how you did that," a smile and a finger to the lips or just saying "shh" will quite often do the trick. If not, and if it gets particularly nasty, I just say, "K, bye," and book. Nobody's making me do magic for anybody, so there's no reason for me to show magic to somebody who's not enjoying it, and thus destroying my enjoyment as well. That's not letting the heckler win, it's letting him know that you're not a monkey, and you have the right not to perform for people who will damage your performance.

If you do ever get a heckler who knows all the moves, a funny line off The Real Secrets of Magic is "Hey, since you know all the tricks, why don't we switch places! You can be the magician and I can be the (bleep)hole!" It usually makes them blush or at least, everyone laugh.

I use it everytime!
What I also do, I sit on a chair or go inside the crowd and give him a deck of cards (the oldest I have!) and say : "Ok, we're all watching you...". 99% of time, the guy don't take the deck and leave or stay here and keep cool! The other 1%, he takes the deck, but don't know what to do with and shut his mouse!

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
Well, I'm not too sure about the Heckler thing you know... It seems to work fine for you, but I wonder whether being rude to him can make any good : there is already one jerk disturbing your show, you don't wan't to be number 2 ! I also think that turning all the attention on him (by giving him a deck for example) is not such a good thing, because it makes the heckler succeed in his attempt to be the center of the attention (which is, in my opinion, the main motivation of hecklers). You want all the attention to be on you when you perform (that doesn't mean not to interract with your audience though), and by making everybody focus on him you might loose the lead.

I don't say that you're wrong and I'm right, there is really room for a debate here, and I think this mainly depends on your performing style and your crowd. I'm not the first to say it, but to me the heckler must be ignored at first. You just go on without paying attention to him (unless he's grabbing things lol). Why ? Because he's not disturbing just you, he's disturbing everyone that wants to see your magic (and hopefully your crowd wants to, if not you might as well just stop annoying them :p). Most of the time, if nobody's paying attention to him (you go on and your specs enjoy your magic), well the heckler just quiets down. If nobody's on his side, he'll stop, it's that simple. If he insists, though, I might give him a hard time (why not showing you psychic powers by performing a key bending routine with his car keys ? :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay....I've been thinking about it for the last two hours and it sounds familier but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Great post by the way. I'm with you on the wind Man. It makes me not even wan't to perform outside all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results