• Mathieu Bich

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Nick Verna

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 14, 2008
Las Vegas
Holy Snap!!! I didn't even know my dumba$$ was even in the line-up here on Theory 11. Wow... thanks for all 2 of you that know who I am. Thank you soooooo much. I just blogged you guys up on my MySpace.

For those of you that don't know where it is: myspace.com/smoothini

Jun 14, 2008
Las Vegas
I think a lot of people confuse being an instructor of a really cool trick and being a great performer as being the same thing. I got a lot of love for Jay Sankey because I think he's both. My personal faviorite is Gregory Wilson, but he doesn't have really cool graphics and names for tricks so people don't buy his stuff as much as they do Houchin's. I still would think that Chris "Orbit" Brown is a billion times better than all those guys, including me, but since he isn't an instructor, you all don't show love.

Don't get me wrong, Houchin is a genius. I love that guy. But as a showman, I think Fraud runs circles around him.

I went for Nick Verna only because he created 2 effects that were mass perduced this year and both got amazing reviews. I would have gone with Wayne but i think that for 2007 Nick Verna is underestimated for everything he has done.
Love you Wayne lol but Nick V has my vote for this one.

A side note - Wayne Houchin put input into Factory Sealed and Bullet with the rest of the E cast i believe.

Sep 1, 2007
I think a lot of people confuse being an instructor of a really cool trick and being a great performer as being the same thing. I got a lot of love for Jay Sankey because I think he's both. My personal faviorite is Gregory Wilson, but he doesn't have really cool graphics and names for tricks so people don't buy his stuff as much as they do Houchin's. I still would think that Chris "Orbit" Brown is a billion times better than all those guys, including me, but since he isn't an instructor, you all don't show love.

This.

The whole idea of asking an internet forum to vote on the magician of the year is absurd, especially when it's a guy making a poll mostly consisting of a few mainstream names and the creators of the website he's starting the poll on.

Last year, Princess Tenko was injured badly with a fractured cheek bone and several cracked ribs when a performance of the spike illusion went wrong. She stayed on stage for another half-hour until the pain from her injuries made performing flat out impossible. Give that woman a medal! I've met met lifelong martial artists who aren't that tough and dedicated.

But I'd wager that at least 90% of the people have no idea who Princess Tenko is, let alone that this happened. In other words, I sincerely hope this stunt isn't repeated this December. The joke is only funny once.

I went for Nick Verna only because he created 2 effects that were mass perduced this year and both got amazing reviews. I would have gone with Wayne but i think that for 2007 Nick Verna is underestimated for everything he has done.
Love you Wayne lol but Nick V has my vote for this one.

A side note - Wayne Houchin put input into Factory Sealed and Bullet with the rest of the E cast i believe.

The only good reviews I read were from a few of E's fanboys. Everyine else said they were disapointed.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
But I'd wager that at least 90% of the people have no idea who Princess Tenko is, let alone that this happened. In other words, I sincerely hope this stunt isn't repeated this December. The joke is only funny once.

And what does 90% of the people not knowing who Princess Tenko is have anything to do with this? I'll admit that this poll was a joke, and didn't contain nearly enough of the right people, but you can't seriously expect everybody to know every magician and everything that went on with them throughout the year. I would wager that you don't know who Devin Henderson is, or anything that happened to him this year, but I don't think less of you because of it. It's just a fact of life. If it wasn't a well publicized occurrence, no, most of us won't know that it happened.

Sep 1, 2007
And what does 90% of the people not knowing who Princess Tenko is have anything to do with this?

Making a point that with the exception of those making a living doing this, not many people here are aware of magic outside of the microcosm of the big 3 online dealers: Theory-11, Ellusionist, and Penguin.

Does that make them lesser people? No, but it does make them unqualified to judge.

Don't get me wrong, all awards are little more than popularity contests. They look nice on your mantle and impress potential clients (sometimes) but are seldom an accurate measure of true talent and accomplishment. Not much more to it.

But when you see farces like this, it's something of a kick in the throat.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Making a point that with the exception of those making a living doing this, not many people here are aware of magic outside of the microcosm of the big 3 online dealers: Theory-11, Ellusionist, and Penguin.

Does that make them lesser people? No, but it does make them unqualified to judge.

Don't get me wrong, all awards are little more than popularity contests. They look nice on your mantle and impress potential clients (sometimes) but are seldom an accurate measure of true talent and accomplishment. Not much more to it.

But when you see farces like this, it's something of a kick in the throat.

I totally agree, but some people aren't really capable of knowing things outside of the magic world of the big 3 online dealers. I don't know a whole lot, but I try to stay as current as I can. I would like to be kept more informed, though.

Sep 1, 2007
Which really just reinforces my point that trying to establish the magician of the year based on the opinions of an online forum (especially one rife with fanboys) is comedic in how tragic it turns out.

Hell, the options in the poll are proof enough of that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results