Information about deck finishes

Dec 8, 2007
Hi guys,

I was wondering for a long time what a finish actually is on a deck of cards. Also, what are the excact difrences between the finishes on playing cards out there? I searched it up on multiple forums and websites, and below is the information I found. Too bad it didn't anwser all my questions, but hopefully you can tell me additional information. If there is any info not correct, please tell me, I will edit. I know there are more people who want to know about this issue, so here you go: the information about playing card finishes I figured out so far:

What is a finish? ???

Diffrent types and proporties:
Air-Cushion finish (e.g. Bicycle 808 playing cards) and Linoid Finish (Tally-Ho 9 playing cards)
These finishes are actually the same! Around 1970 the USPCC changed the production techniques, but didn't change the name. That's why a Linoid Finish is exactly the same as a Air-Cushion finish. The diffrence in quality between the TH9's and the 808's is probably because TH9's are printed in a lower quantity.
properties: Gives the cards the extra 'spring' when performing magic/flourishes.

Cambric finish (e.g. Bee playing cards)
proporties: Finish made out of woven cotton, making the cards softer when shuffeling and absorbing much pressure.

Air-Flow finish (Ellusionist custom cards)
proporties: ???

I hope the information was helpful, and I also hope you can all help me gather all the info on this topic!

Cheers,

~Morphweasel.

PS: I couldn't use the search option, so I don't know if this topic already exsists on the T11 forums. :(

Dec 8, 2007
@cklam: Yes. This was actually one of my sources I used. Here are the URLs:
http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28785 and
http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69103

@Aris.SA: Let's make this clear. I'm definately NOT saying that th9's are the same quality as bikes. I actually think th9's are better quality cards than bikes myself (but this is just my oppinion, there are people who think diffrent about this. I don't want to get a discussion about this here...). What I am saying is that they have excatly the same finish: linoid = air-cushion. To make a long story short: same finish, other quality.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results