Information Overload

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
All opinions are accepted on these forums, thanks for your input. I do agree that flourishers seem to have a more definitive "circle of life" almost with their moves. They create, practice, show it off, share and then restart. It's probably because flourishers mainly worry about the opinions of other flourishers and magicians are more concerned with how their effects will perform in the real world. Different battles I suppose.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Patrick, I think you've got an excellent attitude towards the art of magic, so my advice would be to trust your instincts. A bit vacuous as advice goes, sure, but I don't think you really need a lot of guidance. Having said that, though, while I'm writing a post, I might as well share a couple of suggestions based on mistakes I've made and learned from in the past.

First off, be clear and honest with yourself about what the ultimate goal is. Is it to make a living from your creations, to earn the respect of your peers, to just have fun, a combination of those, or is it something else entirely? If you can get a simple, one-sentence summary of your overall aim then the way to proceed will probably clarify automatically. When you're absolutely sure what the end point of the journey is, then each fork in the road becomes a lot easier to manoeuvre.

Second off, when deciding what your ultimate ambition is, don't sell yourself short. You want to do something that sounds impossible? Not a problem. There was a first person to perform a centre deal, a first person to freedive over a hundred metres, a first person to walk on the moon.

On the more practical, business side of things, I have three small pieces of advice. One is to never release your best stuff. In other words, always have a few things that you hold back and are the next step up, and only release those when you've got something even better. Second is to never announce something until it's a fait accompli. Don't get people excited about a new move, project, routine, etc. until it's in the can, edited, done and dusted and nothing can possibly stop you delivering on your promise. And third is to not get precious about your work. Yes, magic is an art, but ideally, every six months you should be able to look back on what you did six months ago and laugh at how amateur and terrible it was. That way, you'll know you're progressing.

A few thoughts, randomly collated, and I hope they're at least partially useful. Good luck!

JokerZingo

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2012
Sweden
freemagictutorials.com
Apparently I'm not only the only one who read the whole thread, I'm also the only one who looked at his stuff on the Wire. All of the stuff he's posted is free, dude. This isn't about the money.

I read the whole thread but I mean it feels like he put out a lot of free videos to just build a small audience to get payed.
Remember tho this is just my opinion what I think it feels like.
I been at work tho so I couldn't download his videos but I just gave a few tips if this was the case =).

Hope this clairfies abit what I meant =), Thanks - Markus/JokerZingo

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I read the whole thread but I mean it feels like he put out a lot of free videos to just build a small audience to get payed.
Remember tho this is just my opinion what I think it feels like.
I been at work tho so I couldn't download his videos but I just gave a few tips if this was the case =).

Hope this clairfies abit what I meant =), Thanks - Markus/JokerZingo

PLEASE! Go back to school and learn how to spell and know which version of a word belongs where. Not only will it allow you to look far more educated & PROFESSIONAL it will garner you far more respect in life, as a whole.

When it comes to the issue of "giving things away" I've pointed out more than a few times that such actions cultivate patrons; I'm constantly giving things away both, in the magic world as well as in my "day job" mode, if you take a look at big business and how marketing tends to succeed, FREE GIVE-AWAYS and patience are the primary principle. . . you give them a taste or two for free or at a special rate just to lure them in and then you set the hook and reel in the catch . . . the "sucker" as they frequently tend to be.

Because I give away so much people have a good idea what they're in for when they buy one of my books or even an effect I might have out; they know the caliber of thinking that goes into my work and that's what they expect. The same holds true with anyone else that produces a limited quantity of "premiums" for a limited period of time; from what I can tell PAV does have a balanced sense of direction given his age and background.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results