Ink-like smear on cards overnight

Dec 11, 2018
Greetings everyone, I am a fairly new person learning magic and had ordered a deck of tally ho which came in good quality. After leaving the deck overnight, the deck had an "ink-like smear on the side of deck. I noticed that there was some blue-black ink at the interior side of the tuck case. Is there anything I have done wrong? Are there any ways to fix this problem or prevent it from happening?

Other Information : Left deck on table with other cards which have no problems
Lives in quite a humid country

Attachments

• 20181211_121357.jpg
    20181211_121357.jpg
    999.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20181211_121233.jpg
    20181211_121233.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 22

byronblaq

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Looks like the glue that joins the two sides of each card has melted and seeped from the edges.

Can’t say I have ever seen that before.

I would suggest contacting the retailer and probably the USPCC to see if they have seen it before.

Very interesting.

B.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I've had something similar happen to my cards when the on the edges got wet. Like drops of water wet on the edges caused some bleeding.

Since the deck is already marked up try that in a blank spot to see if it reproduces the problem.

Decks don't las forever anyways so you can still use it for practice without worry of ruining a good deck. I used to bend the heck out of my cards trying the Le-paul spread for instance.

Dec 11, 2018
Thank you guys for the insight. I will do all the things mentioned above and update you guys with the info.

Zeede

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2018
I have never seen that before. I'm sorry that I can't be of some help!

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I've seen this a few times. The first time was when a deck in my backpack got soaked by the rain. Another time, my hands were (apparently) a bit wet and I opened a new deck of Bikes and it started to bleed like that. Like others have said, it's the dark glue the USPCC uses to make sure you can't see through the cards from the back.

Zeede

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2018
I've seen this a few times. The first time was when a deck in my backpack got soaked by the rain. Another time, my hands were (apparently) a bit wet and I opened a new deck of Bikes and it started to bleed like that. Like others have said, it's the dark glue the USPCC uses to make sure you can't see through the cards from the back.
Ah, so it probably has nothing to do with it being humid where he lives and more about wet hands handling the cards?

I think every major manufacturer uses a black or dark blue glue for their premium stock. Modern playing cards are technically classified as "paste boards", after all.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Ah, so it probably has nothing to do with it being humid where he lives and more about wet hands handling the cards?

I think every major manufacturer uses a black or dark blue glue for their premium stock. Modern playing cards are technically classified as "paste boards", after all.
It's moisture in general I'd assume.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results