Intermediate Card/Coin Magician?

Jan 17, 2015
I find something out there which is a bit...perplexing.

A lot of descriptions say you have to be an intermediate card/coin magician to perform this.
First up, how does one evaluate what is "intermediate"? A double lift? A good pass? Good palm? Good false count?
And how does one evaluate "intermediate" coin work? Retention vanish? 3 Fly? Ability to use a shell? Clink Pass? Classic Palm? Muscle Pass?

I would just like to know what you guys think on how to evaluate "intermediate" (both coin and card work).

(And even rope work, I mean, learning the Fibre Optics Routine and the classic Cut and Restored Rope could essentially launch you from a newbie into a seasoned pro, right?)*
*Providing one could truly entertain and perform those fluently

Additionally, I think a portion of the magic population is too concerned about moves that they forget what magic truly is: to entertain. And therefore, I think a lot of people are confused by the word intermediate.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I think that the use of the word intermediate in advertising just says that you can't perform it out of the box and it requires some practice. In many ways, understanding the basics makes it easier to learn moves that are somewhat more difficult. If you can't do a riffle shuffle, you won't be abl to do a faro. Additionally, sometimes that signifies that the material doesn't explain every move but instead says "control the card to the top" or "do a double lift" or "use an Elmsley count" or "vanish the coin" without any explanation. Essentially, it is the disclaimer, "don't complain if you can't perform this... we told you it was for intermediate skills."

Jan 17, 2015
I saw people complaining about the Jay Sankey DVDs and Gregory Wilson DVDs and my reaction was like "well study the classics first" so I agree with your point completely.
I think that the use of the word intermediate in advertising just says that you can't perform it out of the box and it requires some practice. In many ways, understanding the basics makes it easier to learn moves that are somewhat more difficult. If you can't do a riffle shuffle, you won't be abl to do a faro. Additionally, sometimes that signifies that the material doesn't explain every move but instead says "control the card to the top" or "do a double lift" or "use an Elmsley count" or "vanish the coin" without any explanation. Essentially, it is the disclaimer, "don't complain if you can't perform this... we told you it was for intermediate skills."

I just want to know the prerequisites for the roadrunner cull and can I use older cards.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2015
Michael Ammar said something like if I was going to teach a beginner, I'd want then to know a double lift vs a finger break, false cut ect. If you can't preform these, not just read about them, I'd say that's beginner level.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results