Is Hypnotism Real or B.S.?

Dec 10, 2007
Ok this may seem like a stupid question but is hypnotism real or a bunch or crap. I just got a DVD from magic makers (the only reason i would ever watch something made by those thieves is because i got it for free from the magic shop i work at) The DVD is supposed to be an intro to hypnosis. But its all B.S. that is just suggesting things to people and when they do it, it appears to your audience as "real" hypnosis.

So is there a way to REALLY hypnotize someone? Or is it all the same B.S.?

Thanks in advance,
DJDonkeyPuncher

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
It's real. If you drive, have you ever had the experience where you are suddenly at your destination, and yet you don't remember the drive there? Ever daydream? That's a trance state. Everybody enters a trance state multiple times a day every day. All a hypnotist knows how to do is guide someone into that state, and then utilize it, since the conscious is not in the way of making change, or in the case of stage hypnosis, having fun with their imagination while you have easier access to their subconscious.

-ThrallMind

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Ok this may seem like a stupid question but is hypnotism real or a bunch or crap. I just got a DVD from magic makers (the only reason i would ever watch something made by those thieves is because i got it for free from the magic shop i work at) The DVD is supposed to be an intro to hypnosis. But its all B.S. that is just suggesting things to people and when they do it, it appears to your audience as "real" hypnosis.

So is there a way to REALLY hypnotize someone? Or is it all the same B.S.?

Thanks in advance,
DJDonkeyPuncher

Magic Makers has just stole something else from you, your time.

Now hypnotism is real but not like what you see on tv.

Also you were a little vague does it tell you to use stooges please be a little more specific.

-Michael

Hypnotism is real, though may be a less than people portray it as.

People say hypnotism? You mean wave a thread and chant you're geting very sleepy etc., its like that but not that simple.
Hypnotism putting someone in a calm relaxed state where their mind is open to suggestion through their subconscious.

I don't really do hypotism so others may give you more info. but hypnotism is real.

~PaCo

honestly, hypnosis is a pretty simple concept. every day you enter many trances on your own. for example: When you see a scary movie and you jump at something frightening even though you know it is all in your head it is because you were so focused on the movie and nothing else that you thought it was startling. now, in some cases it is possible that instead of jumping at the movie you didn't even jump because you were making out with your girl friend. So here too you may have been in a trance. Instead of focusing on the movie you were more focused on your girlfriend and tuned everything else out.

Now, when you put someone into a trance you are pretty much getting them so relaxed that they get focused on you and your voice so much that they become relaxed and open up their subconcious. when they are in this state of mind you can make suggestions to their subconcious. this makes them think that they can, can't, or will do something. However, if the suggestion isagainst their beliefs or ethics then they will snap out of the trance instantly.

By making a suggestion like: "Your arm is so heavy right now... as a matter of fact it feelos like someone is pushing down on it. On the count of three try and lift it. You won't be able to though... it'll take too much effort and you'll give up."

That would make the person believe that their arm is too heavy and they will try too hard top lift it and fail.

My final answer to you is this. Hypnosis is not a way to make people go and make out with you. It is simply a way of giving someone a VERY persuasive suggestion to complete an action or somethinbg like that.

The only part that is B.S. is the part about where we wave watches around in front of peopleand then they go and assanate the president. That doesn't work. Assasinating someone would go against someones ethics. Also that watch waving thing is a giant crock of ...( Censored by Dylan P.)

Dylan P.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I agree with almost everything Dylan P says above, apart from his views on the watch waving thing.

Doing something like waving a watch in front of someone's eyes can be an aid to inducing trance for two reasons. Firstly, it makes their eyes tired, so when you give a "sleep" suggestion, they can already feel the fatigue happening and it confirms for them that something real is going on. Secondly, it makes them focus, and focussing on a moving object takes some mental effort, which distracts their logical mind and makes them more susceptible to suggestion. I would also suggest that in 2008, bringing out a pocket watch and swinging it in front of someone's eyes adds a couple of extra layers of suggestion, in that a lot of people are pre-conditioned that this can be used in hypnosis, so they are already mentally prepared for something to happen, and also that a pocket watch is a very unusual object these days, which will increase their interest in it and therefore their focus on it.

In addition, I've been thinking recently about whether it's possible to make someone do something which is against their value or belief system. I've concluded that yes, it probably is. You'd need to convince the person that what they're about to do isn't real, that it's just part of a performance, maybe some kind of hidden camera show, and I think you could make people do pretty much anything apart from self-harm or suicide. If you convinced someone under hypnosis that the gun they held isn't real, and they were just about to take part in a hoax for TV, it was only loaded with blanks and shooting that guy who was made up to look like the President would lead to fame and fortune for them as a TV performer, I think it could be made to happen.

Is it unethical to say that? Of course I in no way condone doing that, I just mention it as a point for discussion because it's a very common view that such things are impossible.

Sep 4, 2007
Bottom line is this (and I'll spare you the BS retorts.)

Hypnotism is very real and only works with a subjects FULL cooperation.
All hypnosis is self hypnosis in all reality, the hypnotist is just a guide.

For further education a good source is subliminalscience.com

urban

Let me clarify here. I didn't mean that the watch is BS. I simply meant that usually the average person today does not have a big golden stop watch to wave around. ( It would get stolen anyway.) However, I do agree that it makes them feel tired. Your pointer and middle finger can be used as a sustitute for a watch. just move them back and forth instead.

Sep 1, 2007
It is real. I can speak from experience. A hypnotist came to my school and I volunteered to be part of the act. Even tho I didn't believe in it either, I was willing to try. I don't remember what happened at all. But people have videos of me and people from my class doing various things like forgetting their name and stuff. It is real.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
TeeDee
Doing something like waving a watch in front of someone's eyes can be an aid to inducing trance for two reasons. Firstly, it makes their eyes tired, so when you give a "sleep" suggestion, they can already feel the fatigue happening and it confirms for them that something real is going on. Secondly, it makes them focus, and focussing on a moving object takes some mental effort, which distracts their logical mind and makes them more susceptible to suggestion.

All in all. You can make people cluck like a chicken or be afraid of something that isnt there but you cant help me remember where I put my credit card. So the question now is are there practical uses and benefits from hypnosis or is it just for entertainment purposes?

Oh, by the way I love Norwich. Great city, or as the slogan goes " A Fine City":)

All in all. You can make people cluck like a chicken or be afraid of something that isnt there but you cant help me remember where I put my credit card. So the question now is are there practical uses and benefits from hypnosis or is it just for entertainment purposes?

Oh, by the way I love Norwich. Great city, or as the slogan goes " A Fine City":)

No, hypnosis is very practical.
Look, let's face it, most people are not really aware of what their bodies or minds are able to do. Most people spend their lives not knowing, for example, that their mind can handle about 3 million bits of imformation in one second. These people usually spend most of their time unfocused.
Hypnosis is a simple concept designed to get people into a more focused state of mind, where they can be aware of the giant super-computer which is the mind, or the unconcious mind.
In this state you can help people relax, relieve physical and mental pressures, help them find solutions to problems which has been bothering them, and other things. Milton Ericsson, one of the pioneers of modern hypnosis, was known to help terminal patients with their excessive pain without any use of anesthetics, only helping them to be more focused and more in control of their bodies.
Of course, hypnosis has an entertainment side also... In a trance state, people are more open suggestions, so if you know how to use your words right, you can cause all sorts of different reactions (like the crazy things Derren Brown do etc.)

Aug 31, 2007
Hartford, CT
This thread has hit hypnosis right on the head.

I use the "hypnosis is like watching a movie" reference at the beginning of every show I do, and it still works. Someone else on this forum said something to the effect of "the subject is still steering the car, the hypnotist is just in the passenger seat saying 'turn left here'". That's pretty much it too.

There are two things about hypnosis that make it work, and both are mundane, non-supernatural things.

1. The person so distracted or so relaxed or so open and trusting, that she or he doesn't "filter out", for lack of a better word, the suggestions you give her or him. Getting someone to this state of distraction or relaxation or being open is frighteningly easy to do.

and 2. Humans are terrible in remembering details. Because of this, it's easy to make someone forget their name, not remember a hypnotic session or even creat false memories.

For example, one trick I do before I even start the hypnosis part of the show, is to show a card to a spectator, then show the card to the audience without letting the spectator see it. While I display it to the audience I talk a little, and in moments the spectator completely forgets the card. For instance, they may remember that their card was the king of spades but it was actually the two of hearts. This is amazingly easy to do.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results