Is it important which hand to hold the cards in?

Jun 26, 2017
Hey everybody, quick question - I've always held the cards in my right hand for as long as I can remember, but for certain things such as fans, understanding tutorials, or even the LePaul spread, this can make things extremely difficult. I've started switching over to the left but it's pretty difficult; is it worth all the effort?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
No. It doesn't matter what hand you hop it in for anything. For a fan u can do a reverse fan with your right hand. For a DePaul spread, you will always have at least one index showing.

Jul 28, 2015
Hey everybody, quick question - I've always held the cards in my right hand for as long as I can remember, but for certain things such as fans, understanding tutorials, or even the LePaul spread, this can make things extremely difficult. I've started switching over to the left but it's pretty difficult; is it worth all the effort?
If your right handed, your mechanics grip should be in your left hand, if your left handed then they should be held in the right hand...

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If your right handed, your mechanics grip should be in your left hand, if your left handed then they should be held in the right hand...
It doesn't really matter. Each hand does different things. It's all what feels more natural. I'm sure there are people who are right handed and hold the deck in their right hand.

Jul 28, 2015
It doesn't really matter. Each hand does different things. It's all what feels more natural. I'm sure there are people who are right handed and hold the deck in their right hand.
I'm just stating the norm... Maybe he's a righty and by using his right hand to grip the cards has given him trouble and feels uncomfortable like everything else you should always start with good technique be it sports, exercise or playing an instrument so further down the road you won't have to be correcting bad learned technique which can be difficult, this seems to be the case

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
When it comes to sleight of hand, it's all about adjusting technique to suit each individual performer. That's the only "right" way. Like how Rene Levand had to change things to compensate for a missing hand. Or how Mahdi Gilbert basically reinvented sleight of hand because, well, he doesn't have hands.

I do know right handed folks who are just more comfortable holding the deck like a lefty. I also know of people who switch back and forth between hands for different techniques without any problems.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
May 10, 2017
I'm left handed but I always hold the deck in my left hand so it's really just which hand the deck feels right in.

Apr 26, 2016
I try to practice all my moves with both hands, since I am ambidextrous, but it doesn't really matter which hand you use. For lessons that teach with the opposite hand, just reverse the hands and follow along as normal. It takes a little more, but it's good. The important part is to be fluid, not right or left handed. Everyone is different. Do what feels best for you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results