Is it just me?

Feb 24, 2013
England
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this kind of thing in the forums, so if it's wrong, sorry. It might just be me but I can't seem to find anywhere at all in Britain that is showing the upcoming film "Now you see me." Is it just an American release? Thanks for any help you can give.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this kind of thing in the forums, so if it's wrong, sorry. It might just be me but I can't seem to find anywhere at all in Britain that is showing the upcoming film "Now you see me." Is it just an American release? Thanks for any help you can give.

The movie opens tonight in most theaters in the USA, but the international release (in other countries) is a little bit later. For example, in Singapore and Australia, the movie opens on June 6th.

For those fortunate to be able to see the movie this week, check out our NYSM contest just posted! http://t11.tv/nysmcontest

Sep 1, 2007
With some exceptions, Hollywood tends to release movies domestically first before they get overseas. So you'll probably be waiting another week or so before it shows up in the UK.

That said, it's a heist movie according to all the reviews. The magician thing is just a gimmick they hung on it to make it look more novel than it actually is. There's very little actual magic and the meat and potatoes of it is the pursuit. If you're expecting another The Illusionist or The Prestige, you're going to be disappointed.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
With some exceptions, Hollywood tends to release movies domestically first before they get overseas. So you'll probably be waiting another week or so before it shows up in the UK.

That said, it's a heist movie according to all the reviews. The magician thing is just a gimmick they hung on it to make it look more novel than it actually is. If you're expecting another The Illusionist or The Prestige, you're going to be disappointed.

Now You See Me is a very fun heist film, but I'm happy to report that magic is very much a part of it from start to finish. The first 20 seconds of the movie is actually a close-up shot of cardistry (with Monarchs!). Throughout the film, magic is shown in a very positive, fun, high-energy way - with magicians looking a bit like rock stars performing for sold out arenas. Is this good for magic? Yes!

Sep 1, 2007
The first 20 seconds of the movie is actually a close-up shot of cardistry (with Monarchs!).

Okay, you should know me well enough at this point to know that I'm automatically skeptical when I hear that. You know how I feel about most attempts to film card work.

Whatever. I'm not optimistic. I'll catch this one on Netflix.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Okay, you should know me well enough at this point to know that I'm automatically skeptical when I hear that. You know how I feel about most attempts to film card work.

Whatever. I'm not optimistic. I'll catch this one on Netflix.

The card handling in this film is quite exceptional, without a doubt! The hand doubles were Dan and Dave Buck.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
While I enjoyed it quite a bit (Caught an early showing due to a friend having passes), it is a heist movie.

The movie doesn't even directly follow the magician characters for most of it. It follows the detectives trying to capture them, while giving you minor updates on what the magicians are doing.

It does highlight magicians, but it highlights a completely fictional version of them. I can't really talk about anything due to spoilers, but what those characters do is totally unrealistic.

I really liked this movie. I will be seeing it again, and probably getting the DVD. But it is a heist movie and that's why I like it.

Sep 1, 2007
The card handling in this film is quite exceptional, without a doubt! The hand doubles were Dan and Dave Buck.

I stand corrected: you don't know me that well.

I've said this before but I'm going to repeat it. I'm swiftly coming to the conclusion that if there's going to be another good movie specifically about magicians in my lifetime, I'm just going to have to make it myself. Now I just need to figure out a plot...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I stand corrected: you don't know me that well.

I've said this before but I'm going to repeat it. I'm swiftly coming to the conclusion that if there's going to be another good movie specifically about magicians in my lifetime, I'm just going to have to make it myself. Now I just need to figure out a plot...

What's your take on Desperate Acts of Magic? I thought it had some promise.

Sep 1, 2007
Didn't bother going to see it, but I've heard very little to recommend it. Naturally, there are a few magicians saying how brilliant it is, but who gives a damn what they think? If the only audience we can satisfy is ourselves, that's a pretty sad commentary on the state of the industry. Yeah, a movie about the ridiculous political bull**** that the lot of us frequently get up to (seriously, the only industry unfriendlier to women than us would be video games) could be interesting. But the trailer did not impress me.

Perhaps most disappointing was a review I read that said it's really impressive how many magic tricks the film showed without resorting to camera trickery. That's what you call damning with faint praise.

Jan 12, 2010
I've never seen a movie with so many incorrect release dates. It is said to come out June 6th here in the Netherlands, but it actually comes out June 27th. In Australia it will be coming out August 29th while it also says June 6th for that country and continent. And just like that, there are plenty of other mistakes as for the listed release dates. Absurd.

It's best to check at your local cinema chain's website. Either it's been released, it's coming soon, or it's not listed at all which most likely means it will be coming out much later (like in Australia, most movie theaters' websites don't even display the movie yet because over there it will come out in nearly 3 months from now).

To answer the original question asked, in Britain, the UK, it will come out July 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 24, 2013
England
I've never seen a movie with so many incorrect release dates. It is said to come out June 6th here in the Netherlands, but it actually comes out June 27th. In Australia it will be coming out August 29th while it also says June 6th for that country and continent. And just like that, there are plenty of other mistakes as for the listed release dates. Absurd.

It's best to check at your local cinema chain's website. Either it's been released, it's coming soon, or it's not listed at all which most likely means it will be coming out much later (like in Australia, most movie theaters' websites don't even display the movie yet because over there it will come out in nearly 3 months from now).

To answer the original question asked, in Britain, the UK, it will come out July 3rd.

Thanks Mark

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results