Is there any truth to this statement?

Jul 25, 2017
The only time my thumbs get tired is when I'm learning a move.

I think you're thinking about this a bit wrong. Using the term 'necktie' implies a significant tilt upwards, so that the top of the deck is parallel with your own body. Think of it more that the front edge of the deck is pointed at the eyes of the person across the table, and a little to the right (if the deck is your left hand). At least, that's how I do it.

This mimics the natural way I deal cards fair as well. I feel that's the most important thing - make it all congruent.

I know perfectly well what necktying is, but I have a problem with the statement that no one can ser the top card when you do it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'll be honest, I really don't care if you believe me or not. You asked a question, I answered to the best of my ability.

Either try it yourself, accept what my experience is saying, or don't. I don't care any more.

Reactions: HectorE1
Jul 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I really don't care if you believe me or not. You asked a question, I answered to the best of my ability.

Either try it yourself, accept what my experience is saying, or don't. I don't care any more.

First off: Let us not forget that when a man stops caring about listening to an other persons arguments, he has become an enemy to himself.

Anyway, more on the point:
Let me explain why I don't like the Idea of necktying:

Have you, ever sat down at a card table, with more than three players?
And was the shape of that table a square, or oval?
If so, you might know what I'm talking about:

It is impossible to tilt the deck upwards, to the degree that a player that sits next to you, cannot see the top card.
The only way to do this is to tilt it 90 degrees up, which would flash every card that's coming off it to the player in front of you.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Can I ask why it matters? The gap will last for barely a second, and your hand will be in motion, so no one will really catch it. Besides, your thumb, index, and middle fingers of the hand with the deck will be covering the gap, and the entire hand that is taking the card will be covering it from the other sides. The only way someone would see it is if you tilt the deck pretty far forward, or if they are standing over your shoulder burning the card

Jul 25, 2017
I assume your hands are not invisible, is this correct?

If only....

Sir, if someone is sitting directly to the left and right of you, there is no way you can cover the deck from their eyes with your hands when dealing in an acceptable way.

Jul 25, 2017
Can I ask why it matters? The gap will last for barely a second, and your hand will be in motion, so no one will really catch it. Besides, your thumb, index, and middle fingers of the hand with the deck will be covering the gap, and the entire hand that is taking the card will be covering it from the other sides. The only way someone would see it is if you tilt the deck pretty far forward, or if they are standing over your shoulder burning the card

A person sitting right next to you on the left side could very well see the top card when you deal in any way acceptable at the card table. (I have).

You are correct when you mention the motion of the hands, that is a good cover.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
A person sitting right next to you on the left side could very well see the top card when you deal in any way acceptable at the card table. (I have).

You are correct when you mention the motion of the hands, that is a good cover.
Tilt the deck very slightly to the right. Your right hand will still block the gap from the right, whilst the left hand naturally obstructs the deck from the left

Jul 25, 2017
Tilt the deck very slightly to the right. Your right hand will still block the gap from the right, whilst the left hand naturally obstructs the deck from the left

I was starting to doubt my statenents, so I set up my camera, unfortunately, I don't have the right equipment to set it up the right way, but I sat it on the table on a pile of books, and my hands just barely covers the deck, when tilting it upwards. This is still enough for me to stand firm that necktying does not cover the deck from all players' angles.

Jul 28, 2015
The point of necktying is not to completely cover the deck also necktying in an exaggerated manner is a dead give away to what's being done,as I stated earlier this is something people tend to do wrong especially magicians... If your worried so much about exposing or flashing a second deal just use a borderless deck...

Reactions: mrt818
Jul 25, 2017
The point of necktying is not to completely cover the deck also necktying in an exaggerated manner is a dead give away to what's being done,as I stated earlier this is something people tend to do wrong especially magicians... If your worried so much about exposing or flashing a second deal just use a borderless deck...

I fully agree with this statement.

P.S.
I do use a borderless deck, but in a game you rarely get the choice of which deck is used. I remedy this by practicing a minimal brief, and consistant dealing, with a slight "swing" of the deck. And a bit of tilting/necktying

Reactions: HectorE1

Jason England

Elite Member
May 6, 2015
The answer to the OP's question is: Some do. Some don't.

All things being equal a small brief is desirable. However, 'all things' are rarely equal. Other considerations may take precedence depending on the circumstances.

Jason

Jul 25, 2017
The answer to the OP's question is: Some do. Some don't.

All things being equal a small brief is desirable. However, 'all things' are rarely equal. Other considerations may take precedence depending on the circumstances.

Jason

Of course, a small brief is not the most important thing, but the two arguments that was put forth in my OP makes little sense to me. You cannot cover the deck from all sides by necktying it an acceptable amount, and for most people, I think, thumb fatigue isn't an issue when dealing seconds in a game.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results