It Just Melted Away...

So today was my school's Talent Show, and about 850 people showed up. There were about 9 acts including mine. I performed Saw and The Razor Blade Illusion, and the show went extremely smooth. I didn't place, but I had a blast, and it was a great experience, and a bunch of people after the show told me I should have won.

One of the most touching moments of the night was after the show when all of the people who performed went down in the pit to talk to everybody, and this little 8 year old boy came up to me and said "That was the coolest thing i've ever seen, you're amazing!" I talked to the boy for a little while, and I gave his parents my business card, and before they left, he ran up and gave be a huge hug. It was so random, but it was such an awesome feeling. I knew I got into this art for a reason.

But the reason of this thread is to talk about nervousness.
Before tonight, I had never performed for that many people. I had performed for maybe 75 max, but NEVER 850 people. So backstage I was freaking out, I was extremely nervous, I had the butterflies, and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I felt for sure I was gonna **** up. Right before I went on stage, I said a prayer for the show to go well like I do before every show. Then the curtains opened, and it was time for me to perform. When I walked out onstage, everybody in the crowd went INSANE. Have you ever had a standing ovation when you walk onstage? Well, I did tonight. When I heard the crowd cheering, it was the greatest feeling in the world, and all of my nervousness just melted away. I mean, people clap for me after every performance I do because well.....it's common sense, but never have I ever had a crowd go that crazy. So I called up a volunteer to break off a length of thread for Saw, and to verify that the razor blades were real and sharp, and then I started performing. My hands weren't shaking at all, my heart rate wasn't normal, but it dropped, and the butterflies were completely gone. It was like I BELONGED on stage. It was like I was home. The stage lights blinding me from seeing the audience helped alot also. :)

But has this ever happened to any of you? Have you ever been extremely nervous before a performance, but once you start, it's like second nature? I'm interested in hearing form you guys!

Peace out!
Anthony Bass

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Well, while it isn't magic-related, I've had that feeling before several plays that I have been in. There's been times where I have had to go out onstage and deliver the most important lines, and of course, my throat gets dry, and I start shaking, but as soon as that first line comes out of my mouth, the nerves go away, and I just relax.
Again, it may not be magic-related, but I would imagine they are very similar experiences.

Congratulations on doing a good job in the talent show, I'm sorry you didn't place, but there's always next year, so keep up the good work!

Thanks for Sharing Anthony,

I've never experienced that with magic but, while playing hockey I have. It usually happens before a big game, and I get all nervous and tense. Once you step on the ice though everything seems to literally disappear, just doing the warm-up skate you get excited instead of scared and once you start the game it's only uphill from there.

-RA69

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Yep. I've been performing to actual audiences weekly for a little under 4 years and trust me, sometimes I get nervous. Once you get there and your performing and you know that you have the control and your running the show the nerviousness and shakes melt away.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
What an awesome story you had to share there Anthony. I can really tell that you love the art of magic for much more than the secrets and methods you posses. It isn't always about the incredible over the top reactions as I am sure you saw that today when the reaction that touched you the most was a kid's amazement with what you had just done.

I have had moments where I felt pressured into a performance when I just wanted to relax and enjoy the party instead of being the focus of a party. For me it is always about getting past that first effect or routine. Once I can get past that the nerves are gone and I am incredibly more comfortable in what I am doing. Somewhat like getting the first sentence down in an essay or completing a thesis so you can get onto the real meat of things.

I haven't ever performed for an audience of either size you have mentioned here. Most of my magic is done in a smaller much more manageable crowd for close-up routines. As much as I enjoy watching stage routines and parlor acts I much more prefer the intimacy of the close-up act.

--Jim

Aug 31, 2007
California
I have always loved that nervous feeling... No matter what, you will get nervous... It's great ;)

Sounds like you did a great job, and for 850 people. Congradulations.

Keenan

Sounds like you tore the house down man. Congrats!

I usually perform for around 200 at a time at the club. I am having a show in Mid March where part of the proceeds go to charity. It will be recorded in hi-def I will surely be posting some footage of the show. I always get nervous and thats good cause it shows you care, so props to you for hanging in there.

Shane.:)

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
When I heard the crowd cheering, it was the greatest feeling in the world, and all of my nervousness just melted away.

That means this is where you belong.

I belong there, too. I never had the right opportunities to make that my career, but you play the hand you're dealt. If you can make a life on the stage, just do it. We're a rare breed. Most of us don't get to make our lives where we really belong. Do it for the rest of us.

Every couple of months there are shows put on in my town for music. I mean real shows. It gives the younger, budding musicians a chance to play. Well every time we play we get invited to headline, and last time there were 300 people. I stopped getting nervous with music long ago but the biggest crowd I had played was about 100 people less. Needless to say I was slightly nervous. My hands broke into a poorly played intro riff to led zeppelins -Good Times Bad Times and after once through I forgot where I was and the set went off without a hitch, we got the crowd on thier feet (which all the other bands failed to do) and we even got out first encore. It was where I belong.

StormShadow

Banned
Jan 18, 2008
Congradulations on your show!

A lot of people would not have the testicular fortitude to go up on stage and perform for that many people. The largest amount I have every performed for was about 20 people. I was performing WH Sinfull. I remember I was so nervous and excited at the same time. I had about a million things running through my head. Angles, crowd control, my performance, and not to mention the trick itself. Once I got going everything just seemed to go right. It's a great feeling to look at your crowd and just know that you have them locked it.

Once again Congratulation's!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
Anthony, that must have been an amazing feeling. and yes. blinding stage lights are your friends when you're nervous ;) I was in a play just last week and I got that feeling/. people were congragulating me ,even though I didn;t get chaned in time (I had about a minute and a half to get a sweater off, and a blazer on, and the blazer sleeve was insid3e out >_<) as well as part of the set fell over during a chase scene but it was a comedy, so it fit :) anyways, Kudos to you Anthony for haveing the guts to go out there!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results