I've Never Been More Nervous

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
In my highschool, the broadcasting class does a thing called DPTV where once a weekthey play a show on TV for the entire school to see.

I was recently told that they want to interview me and shoot some videos of me doing magic and play it for the entire school. When I was only told this, I started shaking so much out of nervousness.

You guys think I should do it? Any advice?

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I would do it, as Lanniesmagic said. But I also know a calm for the nerves: practice. I have found that with good solid practice I have been able to overcome my nerves over time, why? Because with practice comes skill and with skill comes confidence. Confidence is the opposite of nervousness, and the best way to take care of things.

I am sure you will do great.

Sep 20, 2009
Remember you are doing magic for not only people, but also the Camera... keep that in mind

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I think I am going to do it guys. And yeah, I know I'm doing it for a camera too, so I am going to stick with tricks like triumph or the biddle trick or 5 speed where with the camera burning my hands, they still won't (or shouldn't) catch it

Last edited by a moderator:
Any publicity is good publicity. Make sure you ask for copy. Anytime someone prints an article on you, does an interview, or films you get a copy! That can be used later for marketing purposes.

I'd also recommend doing the Princess Card trick for the video. It is stupid simple, but it kills!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Grats on getting the publicity. I'd probably choose something almost self-working, something fast and flashy, something simple bug big. I'd probably avoid card, but that is just me and where I live.

I do however think this really kills your idea about asking your girlfriend to prom with magic. It will make it completely cliche.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah I get whatcha mean about the prom thing. I'm not sure what I could do that is fast and flashy and self working. I don't have much magic like that.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
I think I am going to do it guys. And yeah, I know I'm doing it for a camera too, so I am going to stick with tricks like triumph or the biddle trick or 5 speed where with the camera burning my hands, they still won't (or shouldn't) catch it

Good for you for doing it even when you're nervous. You'll be much better for the experience. Your idea of doing tricks that you're very comfortable with is a good one. Focus on the audience management and interaction and less on the trick itself. Use magic simply as a vehicle to demonstrate an idea that everyone can relate to. If you can do that successfully your charm and the audience's reaction to it will show through on camera.

Don't let the camera make you nervous, instead play to it and confidently show that you have no problem being under a microscope. Use the camera to highlight your confidence in yourself and your abilities rather than let the camera bring out your insecurities.

Most of all...have fun!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I'm going to be interviewed and videod monday guys. I started thinking "tricks with no sleight of hand"

Here's what I came up with...

INVISIBLE DECK

lol dang this is going to be fun I went and bought an ID today

Lol nice.. i've recently been looking at something.. it's called WOW 2.0, very cool. I asked some questions and they got some pretty good responses. My dad also happened to see it when he was there while getting me some loops and he said it was really good... and he knows all my sleights from a - z.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Yeah I've seen that WOW 2.0. Looks sweet, but not sure if it is something I'd use. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with the sleeve. Not from fear of getting caught just....why a sleeve? lol Idk don't get me wrong it looks awesome, I just don't think it is my cup o' tea.

P.S. I bought Loops today too!! lol and a TT for my bill switch (which BTW I'm thinking could be sweet for the camera!!)

Sep 1, 2007
Go for a dream of aces, or McDonald's aces, whichever you can find it under.

I would say try to do all gaffed stuff on camera, it just takes the heat off of you, and will keep things secret. Just better all around. Great trick too.

Use your loops!! I get mine from Yigel Mesieka (not sure if that's how you spell his name) and they are so great! My teacher recommended them to me and I have been using them since! I also have his book ''animated miracles'' which teaches you a ring levitation, a haunted pack trick, and many more.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Sweet! Using loops I know a levitating rubberband trick, haunted pack effect, animated fork (which I'll probably do for the camera) and I believe that is it.

I do have a blue gaff deck....Hmmmm... lol

I was thinking bill switch. I sign a paper, it goes in my pocket, spectator signs a similar paper. I fold it up, and thier signature changes to mine, and thier signed paper is in my pocket.

Oct 9, 2010
Sweet! Using loops I know a levitating rubberband trick, haunted pack effect, animated fork (which I'll probably do for the camera) and I believe that is it.

I do have a blue gaff deck....Hmmmm... lol

I was thinking bill switch. I sign a paper, it goes in my pocket, spectator signs a similar paper. I fold it up, and thier signature changes to mine, and thier signed paper is in my pocket.

Don't do invisible deck. As stated earlier, people will think its set-up. What kinda of magic is your forte? Do something you're already comfortable with and have practiced before. Don't try something new, because then you will be more likely to fail. If you want a specific effect though, I'd go for something really visual like "Wow" that doesn't require too much sleighty stuff.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Here is what I am thinking:

Opener - animated fork. Place the fork into a plastic cup. tell the whole class to start off I need them to focus on the fork and REALLY believe in the magic. I tell them that once I feel they are really focused on the magic, I will clap. When I clap, the fork flies out of the cup.

Middle - Haunted pack with loops.

Closer - Ask for a dollar bill. When they give it to me, say thanks for the tip. When they say it isn't my tip say fine then, and rip the bill in half. Restore the bill and hand it back

I was also thinking that since this will be played on video for the whole school, I could do the arm trick and when it is played, the whole school can participate.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results