John Bannon Lecture 20th June :: London // Davenports

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
So, I figure I'd see if any of you guys/gals were attending this lecture tomorrow? It'd be cool to meet some of you guys if you are! :D

For those of you unaware or unsure about whether I strung random words and numbers together for a thread title, John Bannon is giving a lecture in Davenports Magic shop in London tomorrow at 2pm. :) Tickets were/are £10 online... Don't know if you can pay on the door!

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
New York
Let us know how the lecture was -- I'm really interested in what material Bannon is discussing these days. DMF material or new stuff?

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Hey guys, just to let you know how the lecture was :)

Myself and a friend turned up a couple hours beforehand just to browse the shop and chillax with the two guys working it that day. (I finally learned how to do the Jennings Snap Double properly yay!)

Went to get some lunch and returned half an hour before the lecture was due to start, the air was tense and there were about 15 of us that were crammed into the store front, and then he walked in :D This charmingly cheeky santa man named John Bannon!

We all moved into the back room and waited until the lecture was due to start and everyone had arrived. HOLY HELL WHAT A SURPRISE THIS NEXT BIT WAS as the one and only Guy Hollingworth walked in... This lecture was epic already.

The lecture began and Mr. Bannon first said that it wasn't about theory, or presentation, or how to give your magic meaning and stories etc. It was purely about tricks and how to do them. Sure theory was thrown in, in between effects and those small discussions were awesome, my favourite quote being: "...On the internet."

He showed us some old stuff and some new stuff and lemme tell you, if you're not familiar with Bannon you need to go check him out right now; you are missing out! He demo'd his fractal card magic series those being Royal Scam, Duplicity and Spin Doctor; visually pleasing but not in your face, card magic.

He showed a classic of his... the Play It Straight Triumph (aka The Bannon Triumph), and effect I knew of but did not know it was his; I feel honoured to have learned it from the guy himself, as I'm sure everyone else does too. My favourite effect was his Einstein Overkill which I believe is a furthering on his Overkill effect? Not too sure on that one.

All in all the lecture was amazing, even though I embarrassed myself quite badly I think, I'd just come back in after the break during which, I'd bought Simon Aronson's Try The Impossible, I was walking back to my seat and he invited someone to help him, I thought it was me and said "Sure why not?!", got back to my seat... No, wasn't referring to me. What. An. Idiot.

Some of you will be pleased to know he just finished filming a DVD with Big Blind Media, not too sure what's on it, but I believe some stuff from DMF and some of his new stuff.

If there's anything else you wanna ask about it, feel free to ask!

- Sean

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Hey guys, just to let you know how the lecture was :)

Myself and a friend turned up a couple hours beforehand just to browse the shop and chillax with the two guys working it that day. (I finally learned how to do the Jennings Snap Double properly yay!)

Went to get some lunch and returned half an hour before the lecture was due to start, the air was tense and there were about 15 of us that were crammed into the store front, and then he walked in :D This charmingly cheeky santa man named John Bannon!

We all moved into the back room and waited until the lecture was due to start and everyone had arrived. HOLY HELL WHAT A SURPRISE THIS NEXT BIT WAS as the one and only Guy Hollingworth walked in... This lecture was epic already.

The lecture began and Mr. Bannon first said that it wasn't about theory, or presentation, or how to give your magic meaning and stories etc. It was purely about tricks and how to do them. Sure theory was thrown in, in between effects and those small discussions were awesome, my favourite quote being: "...On the internet."

He showed us some old stuff and some new stuff and lemme tell you, if you're not familiar with Bannon you need to go check him out right now; you are missing out! He demo'd his fractal card magic series those being Royal Scam, Duplicity and Spin Doctor; visually pleasing but not in your face, card magic.

He showed a classic of his... the Play It Straight Triumph (aka The Bannon Triumph), and effect I knew of but did not know it was his; I feel honoured to have learned it from the guy himself, as I'm sure everyone else does too. My favourite effect was his Einstein Overkill which I believe is a furthering on his Overkill effect? Not too sure on that one.

All in all the lecture was amazing, even though I embarrassed myself quite badly I think, I'd just come back in after the break during which, I'd bought Simon Aronson's Try The Impossible, I was walking back to my seat and he invited someone to help him, I thought it was me and said "Sure why not?!", got back to my seat... No, wasn't referring to me. What. An. Idiot.

Some of you will be pleased to know he just finished filming a DVD with Big Blind Media, not too sure what's on it, but I believe some stuff from DMF and some of his new stuff.

If there's anything else you wanna ask about it, feel free to ask!

- Sean

That sounds amazing! Guy Hollingworth and John Bannon in the same shop? I wish I lived in London just for that lecture. It sounds like you had a great time. Glad you had fun. Just wish I could've come.

EDIT: Btw, I love Play it straight Triumph. Its seriously the most diabolical triumph routine I've ever seen. I love it so much. I've been performing it for a year now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results