Apr 27, 2020
Hi guys,

I am relatively new to magic. I have bought a few things from this site and mostly do card tricks, but I thought the best way to be able to actually get to perform for others would be for kids. Plus I like kids.

Are there any good books, DVDs or tricks that would be good for building routines for kids? And where to get these things? Too much close up I feel would bore a group of kids. Also I live in northern New England so there are no magic shops to go visit or ask about this kind of stuff. Also I am on a relative budget as I have a wedding coming up. I can't spend hundreds of dollars at least to start.

Thank you so much for your anticipated help!

-Justin

Jul 26, 2016
@Lewey17 - About 20 years ago, I became interested in performing for children. For many years prior to that I performed mainly at events for adults and wasn't interested in performing for the kids. I am so happy I broadened my horizons. At that time, I purchased a video by Trevor Lewis ("Trevor Lewis on Children's Magic"). It had several very nice routines, including a "safety trick" version of the professor's nightmare (the 3-rope trick) called "Stop, Look and Listen," an ingenious routine that I perform every chance I get to this very day. The parents love it too! Trevor understands what kids like. When I read your post, I started browsing around looking for it, and imagine my astonishment when I saw it was available as a download for just $4.50 here:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR -- WEBSITE SELLS PIRATED GOODS]
That is a steal! [COMMENT BY MODERATOR -- IT WAS A STEAL... LITERALLY]

It also appears to be available as a DVD for
$13.97 on eBay - also a great deal:
https://www.ebay.com/i/302151001161...1291&msclkid=df457332779312e150ab2de2345ac4b2

Good luck and enjoy!
AECD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lewey17
Apr 27, 2020
@Lewey17 - About 20 years ago, I became interested in performing for children. For many years prior to that I performed mainly at events for adults and wasn't interested in performing for the kids. I am so happy I broadened my horizons. At that time, I purchased a video by Trevor Lewis ("Trevor Lewis on Children's Magic"). It had several very nice routines, including a "safety trick" version of the professor's nightmare (the 3-rope trick) called "Stop, Look and Listen," an ingenious routine that I perform every chance I get to this very day. The parents love it too! Trevor understands what kids like. When I read your post, I started browsing around looking for it, and imagine my astonishment when I saw it was available as a download for just $4.50 here:
[EDITED BY MODERATOR -- WEBSITE SELLS PIRATED GOODS]
That is a steal! [COMMENT BY MODERATOR -- IT WAS A STEAL... LITERALLY]

It also appears to be available as a DVD for
$13.97 on eBay - also a great deal:
https://www.ebay.com/i/302151001161...1291&msclkid=df457332779312e150ab2de2345ac4b2

Good luck and enjoy!
AECD
Thank you so much for this. If I were to buy the DVD, what materials do I need. You mentioned rope, but anything else I should buy as well to begin practicing it's teaching?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Justin:

Welcome to magic and welcome to the forums.

Kids magic is a lot of fun and it is important that you like kids. Kids are not easier to perform for than adults-- they will call you out if you mess up and will start doing other things (talking, walking, etc.) if your show isn't interesting.

Recognize that "kids" is not a generic grouping. Rather, shows need to be tailored to the ages of the kids. Kids who are in the 4 to 6 range probably react better to the Silly Billy clown like character. From 7 to 11, the kids will enjoy a great variety of magic. From 12 and up, you need to be a bit more "cool."

I have a dislike for most kids props that scream "I got this at a magic shop" (except for the change bag which I have a blind affection for). But for the younger kids, Run Rabbit Run and Stratosphere type effects do work.

For the older kids (6 or 7 and up), my suggestion is to start with Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It is around $15 dollars. There is a treasure trove of effects in that book. Just don't point at the hand were the coin or ball is supposed to be.:cool:

Some classic effects include:

Jumbo Cards $10 (can use for Mark Wilson's Bigger and adapt some card tricks)
Pips a Poppin $15 (from Trevor Lewis) - Get an extra set of sponge pips for around $3
Zombie Ball ($36 to $150 to $$$$)
Cups & Balls ($16 to $50 to $150 to $$$$)
Linking Rings ($50 to $$$$)

A great place to get ideas is David Ginn's YouTube Channel to get ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/DavidGinnMagic/videos

(David was the first magic lecture I ever saw:)).

Good luck and feel free to stop in for help in developing a show.

Jul 26, 2016
WOW, sorry I had no idea the site selling the download was dealing in pirated goods. I guess I am blinded by wanting to see the best in people. Well, at least it appears the DVD on Trevor's work is legitimate. Most of the routines he teaches can be performed using or fashioning materials you can find around the house, or that are easily obtainable. The rope should be soft cotton ("magician's) rope with the core removed, which you can order online. You should wrap a little scotch transparent tape around the ends of the ropes to prevent fraying. I would say the material on the DVD is generally suitable for kids in the age group of 5 to 11 years old. Have fun!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results