Kid's magic

Hey guys, I would really like to start working professionally but i think because of my age (17) i won't be able to get anything other then kids parties. Which i don't really have any problems with, but I don't really do kids magic.

So i'm looking for suggestions for tricks, routines, sources or even just books on performing. Anything would help.

Thanks and much appreciated
-Anthony

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Kids shows are more difficult than you think. I've been performing for kids for over 10 years and they are a completely different animal than performing for adults.

I would look at routines from Tommy James, David Kaye (Silly Billy), David Ginn, and Marty Hahne.

Each age group of kids tend to enjoy various types of effects. You would not perform the same magic for ages 4-6 year olds that you would for 8-11.

Let me see if I can dig up a few of our old kids magic threads to see what I can find for you because I know we've discussed kid show magic numerous times on here.

Reality One who frequents here as well as being a mod over at E is well versed in Kids Magic as well.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
That's a very interesting topic for me as well as I am trying to achieve the same thing in 1 year. Thanks Rick for you post. I will contact David and see if he can help us.

Thanks Rick, very informative and helpful. I watched videos of all the names you threw out (a lot of talet there) And while i loved some of the tricks I think someone my age doing that kind of presentation seems very...fake i guess would be the best word.

I'll keep thinking on how i could present them.

My specific question would be are the props worth the money? i think some are necessary for a kids act but they all run quite pricy and i'm fairly inept at building things so that's out. But i would like some sort of colorful, flashy prop/effect.

Anyway thanks a lot.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Sponge balls, my friend. They're a few bucks a pack, they're extremely easy to work with once you've practiced with them a bit, and it's easy to be creative and come up with your own routines, sometimes even on the fly. I find they work well with adults and children of all ages. This week I did a house party that was an 18+ event, and the whole middle of my show was sponge ball magic. They ate it up like chocolate. I was also interviewed by a local blogger last week and did the same routine for her, her husband, and her 3 children aged 2, 8, and 14 I think. When I left, the 14 year old turned to his mother and said "That was awesome." I only know because I went back to make sure I hadn't left anything and his mom ratted him out to me :)

On a general basis, I tend toward simple, visual magic that tells a story. If a trick or routine can meet those three requirements, you can present it to any age group. Every once in a while I'll break out a cerebral card or mind effect if I'm working with a grown-up audience that can follow them, but most of my routines are geared to be presented to a widely mixed age group because I frequently work for gratuity, which means I frequently have a mixed bag of children, parents, adults and adolescents, all of which have to be entertained. For props in both roaming and standup I use sponges, coins, rubber bands, dollar bills, business cards, balloons, cell phones, and playing cards. Right now I'm working on a cups and balls routine, and most of the props for that were cobbled together out of stuff I had lying around. The balls are monkey-fist styled ones that I tied using marbles and pipe cleaners, the cups are pink tumblers from walmart, and my wand is a plain rosewood stick. My close-up table is a battered up old thing I bought for 5 bucks at goodwill. I've spent very little money on actual props and considerably more time and money on learning to use them. It's certainly true that some magic works better with some age groups than with others, but I've found that if you pick your effects carefully and tailor your patter and presentation, some things will work well with any age.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Anthony, to answer your questions / comments about props....yes...initially you will need to spend some money to put together a decent kids act. As you perform more and more shows, and build some revenue, you can make some additional purchases to put in your act. For example: I just recently purchased Silly Billy's "Princess in a Pickle" Silk routine which runs over $250. However...I have now closed my past 3 events with this effect and it basically paid for itself after one gig. Start up small with inexpensive items as RedBeard has mentioned.

You can do it much cheaper with props like newspaper, a few silks, spongeballs, rope, etc. and still do a great job but eventually you'll want the nice new shiny props that the kids love to be entertained with.

As far as being the goofy, silly, character like Silly Billy, that is not completely necessary as you will find out from Reality One. There are many magicians who play a serious magician who just simply do great magic with good patter / story lines to entertain the kids. So if you don't feel like you can be that type of character or if it doesn't fit your style...then don't...you can do whatever you want. My kid / family show is more of a mixture of some comedy routines and some serious magic. I go back and forth between the two and it just "works" for me and I've had lots of success.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I believe Chris Capeheart (Or Capehart, I'm not sure which) has a DVD out concerning kids magic as well.

Kids magic, like all magic, requires an investment in the beginning. That's how this game works. Even those of us who perform fairly prop-free had to pay to learn how to do that.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA
Cups and balls will take some time before it's ready to put in front of people. I'm still tweaking that one and don't plan to perform it publicly until at least September.

Juhuhn K

Elite Member
Dec 15, 2013
Hey, I perform for kid's and elderly for my community service hours, and kids definitely need something very visual. Cups and balls, sponge ball acts work well, but card magic is a bit iffy.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
10258327_454382244692194_8998708246527813708_n.jpg

I have performed only 5 shows for kids and as favors for people I absolutely would die for, otherwise I stay away from those.

I love to make a "Magic Wand" which I give to the children, (it is passed to the next kid with each trick) and they cast "Spells" even if the tricks are totally done by the performer. They truely believe they did magic and the reactions are amazing.

So keep it visual, and involve them. For me, the wand works for that purpose.

alright all duly noted.

One more thing, how long should your show be? 20 minutes? 30? 45? do you always do the same length or just fill however much time you're asked to?

thanks and much appreciated
-Anthony

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Most of my kids shows are 30 minutes tops unless they are teens and the parents have requested the 45 minute show. The little ones
(under the age of 8) usually cannot focus / hold their attention much longer than the 30 minutes. They start to get real antsy, especially if it is outside and is a pool party as well.

90% of my kids show are the 30 minute magic show followed by 30 minutes of me doing balloon sculptures for all of the kids and a 3-foot braided twisty hat made out of 4-260s.

May 6, 2013
www.Ibimania.com
Most of my kids shows are 30 minutes tops unless they are teens and the parents have requested the 45 minute show. The little ones
(under the age of 8) usually cannot focus / hold their attention much longer than the 30 minutes. They start to get real antsy, especially if it is outside and is a pool party as well.

90% of my kids show are the 30 minute magic show followed by 30 minutes of me doing balloon sculptures for all of the kids and a 3-foot braided twisty hat made out of 4-260s.

Listen to the pro, 30 minutes is the best you can do with magic, adding easy-craft like colorful chart paper origami or as he says balloon sculpting, can take you farther duration wise.

So yep better learn balloon work or some easy visual craft for the kids.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results