Knack Magic Tricks by Richard Kaufman

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
We all (Hopefully) know Richard Kaufman as the guy who has written and published numerous classic books of magic (besides running Genii magazine). Richard Kaufman has now released his latest book of magic for the public which is titled "Knack Magic Tricks: Make it Easy"

This is a book aimed at the beginner who is enthusiastic about learning some simple magic, but has no idea where to start. Some of you may question why there needs to be another book of magic for beginners. This book is different from the standard texts like Royal Road to Card magic and Bobo's Modern Coin Magic because it has a little bit of everything (cards, coins, mentalism and other stuff). This books gives a good overview of the different kinds of magic without overwhelming the beginner.

Before I review the contents, I must say that this book has more pictures and less text than any other magic book I've seen, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The teaching in this book is done mostly through the pictures, with the reader taken through the sleights step by step. Also, none of the tricks use very hard sleight of hand and so there really isn't a need for elaborate descriptions.

Now, on to the different sections

1) Cards - There are five sections devoted to cards in the book, with 16 tricks in total. They include hoary old classics such as Do as I Do, the Marlo - Gardner poker deal, Chicago opener and the trick that fooled Houdini. There are also a couple of tricks here that I had not seen before which were quite good. I was particularly impressed by a self worker by Jim Steinmeyer that might just fool a few magicians. There is also an effect called quadruple coincidence which reminds me of Overkill by Paul Harris. Overall, this section is very good for the beginner and might even have something for the more experienced guys.

2) Coins - There are only two sections dealing with coins. This should not be surprising because good coin magic is often hard and requires mastery of sleight of hand as well as timing and misdirection. Since this book is aimed at beginners, it does not use some of the common sleights in coin work such as false transfers, palming or Han Ping Chien type moves. However, scoop lapping is explained, as well as Al Schneider's Classic Matrix routine (I was a bit surprised to find this little gem in the book). There is also a version of Coins through table which is very easy and very magical at the same time. This is a brief but interesting section.

3) Anytime tricks - This is a section with some old classics like the jumping rubber band, Coin in dinner roll and the Balducci levitation. These tricks are OK, but not too great in my opinion.

4)String tricks - There are three tricks which use pieces of string. These tricks are actually quite magical. One of them is a cut and restored string routine that actually packs quite a punch. This is a useful section for those who are tired of using cards and coins all the time.

5) Mental Effects - There are three sections devoted to mental effects. There is mentalism with cards, a telephone divination, spoon bending/breaking, a disintegrating rope effect and other such things. I was impressed with Hiroshi Sawa's rope disintegration as it is an unusual effect. I was also impressed with the explanation of the glorpy, which is a commonly used gimmick.

The tricks in this section are mostly good tricks, but these kinds of effects require good presentation for success, and I suspect beginners might not do a great job at that. However, the scope of the effects is pretty impressive.

6) Rope tricks - This section contains classic effects, but I was most impressed with the way the effects were taught. Excellent pedagogy.

7) Bill Tricks - Same comments as the rope tricks section.

8) Other stuff - There are four more sections at the end dealing with other kinds of magic. These are mostly the hoary old chestnuts like the torn and restored napkin, card in orange, a simplified cups and balls, and other sundry stuff. There is an effect called Master Coin Penetration (created by Lubor Fiedler) where the method is sheer genius. There are some good items here. I have some reservations about the cups and balls routine, but on the whole these are some solid magical effects.

Overall, I would give this book 9/10 for teaching. The tricks are explained very well and there is no scope for confusion. This book is good for the visual learners who feel they learn better from DVDs instead of books.

If you are a beginner or intermediate performer, I think you will benefit from this book and I rate it 9/10 for you.

If you are an expert, you might prefer to use more advanced sleight of hand based stuff. However, there are items here that should interest even the most diehard finger flingers and so I would rate the book 7/10 for you.

Also, If there is a kid you know who is dying to get into magic, you should recommend that he/she buy this book as it would make an ideal
introductory text.

You can probably get this book at your local Borders or Barnes and Noble outlet. If not check out amazon.com or any of the other online bookstores.

Jul 8, 2008
That was a good review! Nice job. He's been advertising this in Genii for the past few months and it kind of had my interest peaked, but also not really. It wouldn't surprise me that a good majority of the tricks in here are very BASIC tricks. Tricks that everybody can learn and have been reprinted thousands of times before. After all, the guy has to own EVERY book there is lol. I'm kind of interested because a magician actually enjoyed tricks in here, such as Him Steinmeyer's effect. I'm kind of curious to read this now. But again, ir doesn't surprise me that he would include something from Jim. How might you compare this to Joshua Jay's introductory to Magic?

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
That was a good review! Nice job. He's been advertising this in Genii for the past few months and it kind of had my interest peaked, but also not really. It wouldn't surprise me that a good majority of the tricks in here are very BASIC tricks. Tricks that everybody can learn and have been reprinted thousands of times before. After all, the guy has to own EVERY book there is lol. I'm kind of interested because a magician actually enjoyed tricks in here, such as Him Steinmeyer's effect. I'm kind of curious to read this now. But again, ir doesn't surprise me that he would include something from Jim. How might you compare this to Joshua Jay's introductory to Magic?

I've not seen Joshua Jay's book, so I cant compare it with this one.

I know Kaufman was plugging it in the Genii forums. That's where I heard about it :) .

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results