Layperson guesses

Mar 19, 2009
Calgary, AB
Yes of course I think how it's was done, but Im also a magician. Yes it human nature to try and figure things at out, but my point was if right at that moment there more concerned how it was done rather then wow you just blew my mind, then you are doing something wrong. I've had people come back the next day to the spot I was busking at with there friends, saying man do that trick you showed me (of course I dont do that effect - number 2 rule of magic) all I've been doing is thinking how you did it, but you see that was a after thought not at the time of performance.

Do you see my point Justin? PS good name as that my real First name Justin! hahaha

I don't know if I would agree.

When you see a magician do something, do you not wonder "How on earth is that done?" When you see something like the preview for Smoke, doesn't your mind spin through its database of ideas on how this could be possible?

I would submit that this is the same with every human being. People wonder until they are satisfied with an answer in their heads. Now your performance may not give the spectator a place to express themselves, or they may not say anything as they are trying to be polite, or simply they are thinking "wow I didn't even see him switch the cards" (instead of "that ink just changed!").

Does it mean it is a bad performance? Not necessarily. Although performance always plays a part, even with a good performance of a bad trick, it will still be a bad trick. However, a good performance of a great trick, it will lead the audience to think whatever you want them too.

When I have been working on a new effect, I always try it on my wife. If she figures it out, I find out why, and more often than not, that effect does not make the cut into my repertoire.

If you signed up for the EMC (I believe you still can), I would recommend reviewing Eric's first presentation.

I was showing a series of trick to a spectators friend. You know, when you do a magic trick to a girl and she is like, "OMG you have to show my boyfriend!" And of course, he was trying to be all, I know how all this magic is done. Apparently his explanation for "every" magic effect was a crease in the card so that I could locate it later. So to fool him I lost his card in the deck and showed him a clipshift. Once again. "Yeah that was cool I guess, I know that you put a crease in my card to mark where it was. Thats how all of these tricks are done." Really? A crimp can accomplish a color change. Needless to say, I stopped performing for him and decided to piss him off my doing very intimate tricks with his girlfriend. Performing french kiss, with an actual kiss. lol. She loved it :)
Ok, Some people may disagree with that, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that that was an epic win.

People don't guess how I do it unless they are trying to steal the spotlight. But when they do that, they actually don't know, and they don't look so great. So they go away and I go back to performing for the people that actually want to enjoy the magic.

Mar 19, 2009
Calgary, AB
I also agree it a epic win remind me on the example I gave (but your is better). It's like comedians and hecklers, I love when the comedian just burns them and the crowd goes nuts!

Ps love you Harris quote King Of Spades we all should live by it.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I hate to say it but if your performing and the reaction you get is the person try to guess it... your not doing it well. I very rarely and I mean very rarely get any one to try and guess what I've done. They're not worried about the how even though they might say wtf how you do that!
They're just amazed at what happened!

When people see a magic trick, they immediately try to guess how it was done, whether they say it out loud or not. That is human nature.

Let me expand a bit. All humans look for patterns and causes when they see something that is new to their experience. When they see something new, they have to compare it against all their experiences, their common sense ideas of what is possible and what isn't and they will filter the possibilities from potentially hundreds to maybe two or three.

As a magician, you shouldn't get too disconcerted by this because it is part of human nature to try and figure things out. You cannot stop people from thinking about possible solutions. You also should not try and logically argue with the spectators after you perform the trick because that takes away all the impact. You have to make it such that the spectators consider every possibility and they convince themselves that none of them are applicable. If they do this, they have to concede that have no clue about what just happened. It is by this process of elimination in the spectator's mind that magic is achieved.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Michael Weber has gone on to say that you can make the spectators believe anything you want them to believe. This is where the presentation comes in. Some things I have seen people ruin (Brainwave or the ID) because their presentation for it looks less like a miracle and more like a "Look what I can do.". Which is odd for both those effects, because they allow A LOT of leg room to come up with your own presentation for them.

Anyways, the only reason people tend to want to keep guessing how you did it, is because you are performing for friends or family, and those types of people are harder to perform for. Because they KNOW that you can't predict which card was going to be chosen or that you can ACTUALLY do magic. But for everybody else, you have to sit and think about a decent enough presentation that isn't boring and that will make them THINK that was what you did.

With card to wallet it's rather easy to turn it into a prediction/magical effect. You simply show the wallet and tell them you put a card from said deck into your wallet. Then you just simply build it from there.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
It depends on your character, what you're trying to portray yourself as, what you aim to acheive through your magic.

I like Paul Harris' approach.
People are going to rationalize in their head how it's done, and you can't stop that. You aim for the few seconds after a trick where you see their mind working as hard as it can, yet they find nothing. That period of pure astonishment where all they are thinking is "there's absolutely no way could have just happened" is just beautiful.
If you accomplish that, who cares what they think after it?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Interesting thread. In my opinion, there have been some valid and not so valid responses and theories here... CPR's post was a good one.

So as I've been reading the comments on the Dan Sperry "AGT" performance on youtube, I am finding it interesting to see the comments laypeople are leaving about the performance and trick. Many people are guessing the method for the trick.....one guess that I found funny was that Dan, while rubbing his throat to show that it is clean before the trick, is actually rubbing glue from a glue stick onto it. Many others, though, have left many enthusiastic and positive comments.

My point is not specifically to discuss the comments of this one performance, but to discuss the way some laypeople try to guess the method of a trick. Even if their guess is incorrect or very basic, they still hold it to be correct. For example, I once did a color change (snap change) for my 7 year old neighbor, and he was impressed. But after a couple of seconds of thinking, he said I must have had two cards. Luckily I did the clean-up and showed him I only had one....that shut him up. I then did the snap change for someone much older, and he guessed that I must have done some crazy fast change by reaching back into the deck and switching the card extremely quickly.......I like that guess ;). I also once did an ambitious card for a girl.....and she said "You just put it on top" and then walked away. :confused:

But really with any effect, I assume all of us have spectators guessing the method, and most of the time, they are incorrect or only have a basic idea. Quite often, though, they feel confident with their answer. Obviously, with a massive audience of laypeople seeing a trick like Saw for the first time, guesses will definitely arise.

So what are your thoughts on the subject and do you have any stories of laypeople incorrectly guessing your effects? Also, why do some laypeople feel the need to guess the method out loud for everyone to hear?

Thanks!!!:D

Firstly, to address this. I agree with Justin - it is natural for people to try and guess how you do things. Especially if you put them up on YouTube. This is why I no longer record YouTube videos, unless I am sending it to someone for critique that I can't show in person. YouTube is not conducive to magic because it focusses on method.

At the same time, when performing live, there are also some people who are simply focussed on method. This is also inevitable.

But if this is happening to you consistently, then quite simply... You're s***. Do better. Note that this is not addressed to anyone in particular. And note that this is unnecessarily harsh, and not always true - but it's necessary to get the point across. And the part where you're failing is this part:

They aren't intrigued and interested enough in the why (presentation) which leads them to focus on the how, even if they get it wrong they feel like the time spent watching was worth it.

Two types of audience members who try to explain it away : The ones who want to be know-it-alls, and those who's attention you failed to capture with your presentation.

Two areas you're failing in: engaging with your personality and your presentation; and interacting with the audience.

In short, you're going "Look, magic!" and your spectators are going, "Look, sleight of hand!"

There's a disconnect between what you're doing and what your audiences are perceiving. The bottom line is that the only person who is fooled, is you. They may not get the right method. They may never get the right method.

But if they can point to your magic and say, "There IS a method" - then you have failed. You are not performing magic. And that is where all the questions and guesses come from - because they know you're performing sleight of hand. Let me use an example...

It's natural for people to guess how you did something. The thing that always gets me is performing Out Of This World. I use Derren Brown's version (with some subtleties of my own), and it's very clean. People always assume i somehow changed the cards around so they're sorted into red and black....under their nose....in a few seconds.....without seeing the faces. Genius.

Out of this World is one of the strongest effects I perform. No-one ever asks about a switch. The only thing my spectators say is "I was watching you the whole time, there couldn't possibly have been any sleights, that was impossible!"

Your spectators are saying "You must have switched it" (I don't think it's giving anything away when I say that there is a switch - they've guessed correctly!)

My spectators are saying "You can't possible have switched it, that's impossible" - which do you think is the better response? (And yes, there's a switch)

Demonstrations of skill are not always bad. But if your spectators, time and time again, are asking you how you did it, and guessing - there's a good chance you're doing something wrong.

If you give magic meaning, then they are much less likely to look for method. Why? Put it this way. When people tell others about magic they saw, they don't want to tell them about what happened. They want to tell them about how they felt.

You can see evidence of this every time you hear an exaggerated story of magic you know couldn't possibly have happened. They exaggerate because they are conveying emotion, not fact.

Read that again - they are conveying EMOTION and NOT FACT. So if they are focussed on fact, it means that they have not been engaged with emotion. If they have no emotion, then it means your magic has no MEANING.

The other area you may be failing in is interacting your audience. I can't help but point this post out, I'm sorry, but it was the most blatant f***-up in this entire thread:

I was showing a series of trick to a spectators friend. You know, when you do a magic trick to a girl and she is like, "OMG you have to show my boyfriend!" And of course, he was trying to be all, I know how all this magic is done. Apparently his explanation for "every" magic effect was a crease in the card so that I could locate it later. So to fool him I lost his card in the deck and showed him a clipshift. Once again. "Yeah that was cool I guess, I know that you put a crease in my card to mark where it was. Thats how all of these tricks are done." Really? A crimp can accomplish a color change. Needless to say, I stopped performing for him and decided to piss him off my doing very intimate tricks with his girlfriend. Performing french kiss, with an actual kiss. lol. She loved it :)

Ok. This is appalling. Congratulations - you have managed to ruin magic for 50% of your audience.

Do you know WHY the boyfriend reacted in that way?

Because of something YOU did.

Yes, that's right. The reason her boyfriend is looking for a method is because YOU have prompted him to. YOU have provoked him into doing it.

YOU have made a mistake. You have failed to interact properly with your audience. You made the mistake, you blame him, and then you go and act like a jerk to him because you don't realise where you went wrong - that it's not his fault, but yours.

Let me explain.

Your girlfriend introduces you to a reasonably attractive young guy, gushing to you about how amazing he is, and what miracles he can produce. He's amazing. He does the impossible. She's never seen anyone do something so amazing. How do you feel?

This is an important point in spectator management. I performed recently for a young couple - the girl is a good friend of mine.

Now here's the key - I chose to perform effects that made HIM look good - I used HIM - not her, just because I wanted to flirt with the pretty girl - I chose HIM, to use him to perform effects that make HIM look good.

The problem many face when performing to girlfriends and boyfriends is that if you have previously demonstrated your magic to the girl, then you have accidentally been elevated to the alpha male status in the group. What happens is that the boyfriend feels emasculated. Therefore, you need to go to extra lengths to interact with your audience - especially the male participants. You need to make your magic about your audience, not about you. You need to elevate HIM - otherwise, you are just asking him to become a heckler by making him look bad in front of his girlfriend. OF COURSE he will look for a method! That way he can show his girlfriend that you didn't fool him. Interact with your audience. Make your performance about your audience. It is clear that your magic, as is, is selfish, and completely self-centred.

As long as it is so, you will continue to face hecklers. You will continue to have people try and mess you up. You will continue to alienate 50% of your audience. And often, they'll beat you. I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh - it's not intended to be - but it is from my experience, and the experience of many greats (Banachek and Roger Klause come to mind), the truth, and I honestly do feel that there is a lot of info here that is usable, important, and practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
Guys and Gals,

Look at Praetoritevong's reply. It is the best reply on this thread so far. He has nailed most of the important points.

Most people in the thread had two responses to their spectators trying to figure things out

1) Puzzlement that the spectators are not simply giving in to the magic.
2) Some sense of resentment that spectators might dare to challenge the magician.

The problem is usually not with the spectators here (there are a few rare exceptions). The problem is the attitude of the performer.

I was showing a series of trick to a spectators friend. You know, when you do a magic trick to a girl and she is like, "OMG you have to show my boyfriend!" And of course, he was trying to be all, I know how all this magic is done. Apparently his explanation for "every" magic effect was a crease in the card so that I could locate it later. So to fool him I lost his card in the deck and showed him a clipshift. Once again. "Yeah that was cool I guess, I know that you put a crease in my card to mark where it was. Thats how all of these tricks are done." Really? A crimp can accomplish a color change. Needless to say, I stopped performing for him and decided to piss him off my doing very intimate tricks with his girlfriend. Performing french kiss, with an actual kiss. lol. She loved it
Ok. This is appalling. Congratulations - you have managed to ruin magic for 50% of your audience.

Do you know WHY the boyfriend reacted in that way?

Because of something YOU did.

Yes, that's right. The reason her boyfriend is looking for a method is because YOU have prompted him to. YOU have provoked him into doing it.

YOU have made a mistake. You have failed to interact properly with your audience. You made the mistake, you blame him, and then you go and act like a jerk to him because you don't realise where you went wrong - that it's not his fault, but yours.

Let me explain.

Your girlfriend introduces you to a reasonably attractive young guy, gushing to you about how amazing he is, and what miracles he can produce. He's amazing. He does the impossible. She's never seen anyone do something so amazing. How do you feel?

This is an important point in spectator management. I performed recently for a young couple - the girl is a good friend of mine.

Now here's the key - I chose to perform effects that made HIM look good - I used HIM - not her, just because I wanted to flirt with the pretty girl - I chose HIM, to use him to perform effects that make HIM look good.

The problem many face when performing to girlfriends and boyfriends is that if you have previously demonstrated your magic to the girl, then you have accidentally been elevated to the alpha male status in the group. What happens is that the boyfriend feels emasculated. Therefore, you need to go to extra lengths to interact with your audience - especially the male participants. You need to make your magic about your audience, not about you. You need to elevate HIM - otherwise, you are just asking him to become a heckler by making him look bad in front of his girlfriend. OF COURSE he will look for a method! That way he can show his girlfriend that you didn't fool him. Interact with your audience. Make your performance about your audience. It is clear that your magic, as is, is selfish, and completely self-centred.

That was very well articulated my friend.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It also has to do with how fast and jerky your movements are. If everything you do is smooth and at walking speed. Then people will not usually think what you are doing is sleight of hand or any sort of trickery. Because all your movements and attitude will say "Everything is fair."

Though, like I mentioned earlier. 90% of the people on this forum tend to perform for their friends at High School and their family. So, them trying to come up with a really good presentation and all that is going to come off silly, not to mention most of your friends probably have known you most of your life. So, they know that you can't REALLY do magic and WILL continue to believe that you just do switches or other tricky sleights.

Jan 16, 2008
Though, like I mentioned earlier. 90% of the people on this forum tend to perform for their friends at High School and their family. So, them trying to come up with a really good presentation and all that is going to come off silly, not to mention most of your friends probably have known you most of your life. .

Are you meaning to say that a good presentation will definitely sound silly to those who know you? Then I'll have to disagree. If your presentation does not suit YOU, or the persona that you perform with, then the presentation ITSELF is silly. Don't think for a second that just because of the fact that your audience knows you already means that every "magical" presentation for any effect would come off as silly.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
It also has to do with how fast and jerky your movements are. If everything you do is smooth and at walking speed. Then people will not usually think what you are doing is sleight of hand or any sort of trickery. Because all your movements and attitude will say "Everything is fair."

Valid, but not complete. Smooth handling is great to have, but what you want is motivation behind your moves. I can do something smooth as butter, but if it doesn't have motivation behind it then someone will speculate as to why I did it. On the flip side, I can do a very bad job shuffling in the context of showing how someone else shuffled my cards (jerky, fast and sloppy) and no one would think I'd use that opportunity to control a card.

There is also a difference between smooth and at walking speed and imperceptible when it comes to sleights. I can have a card selected and replace, casually cut the cards a few times and then show it on top. Someone might guess that I could get it to the top by accident (or skill). I can likewise have a card returned, do nothing, and show the card is on top-and have them wonder 'how the hell did it get to the top, I saw it go in...and he didn't do ANYTHING!"

Just a few quick points, I have a long to-do list for this day...my well deserved day off. :(

Edit:
praetoritevong said:
Two areas you're failing in: engaging with your personality and your presentation; and interacting with the audience.
After re-reading this I would have to point out that if your personality and presentation don't include proper audience interaction, then you're doing something wrong as a close-up magician. I know why they're separate, but they really are the same problem in most situations.

If you work out your presentations and personality to include audience interaction you'll see a huge drop in people attempting to figure out how you did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results