Learning suggestions?

Apr 2, 2020
Just curious about opinions on learning Cardistry.

For the last week I’ve had a deck of cards in my hands most of the day. I’ve only been trying to work on very basics.

Swing cut
Swivel cut
Thumb fan
Charlier cut
Revolution cut
Sybil

Should I just stick with those foundational moves until they are really smooth or should I look for even more stuff to work on?

What are your experiences?

I plan on trying to post a link to some of what I’m working on. I think it might be fun to update the videos every week or two and show my progress.

Apr 2, 2020
Also just to be clear. I’m not so much asking what to learn. I understand to start with the basics and build.
Just wondering if I should just stick to all these basic building blocks and get them really smooth before moving onto other things.

I’m thinking sometimes that too much information is detrimental and to maybe just stick to perfecting a small chunk of moves before adding more to work on?

I guess it’s kind of subjective for most.

Apr 10, 2020
I‘m also just started, but I have the best learning effort when I‘m practising for a while and then do something else for a day (maybe practise some other move). The brain has to process the muscle stuff and so on. I also would suggest to practise the move continously, you only will get smoother by practising.

Reactions: Chief2112
Apr 2, 2020
BTW that pull down with the ring finger in ATM is going to take awhile. Cant even get enough pressure on card.

gotta build up that muscle!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
BTW that pull down with the ring finger in ATM is going to take awhile. Cant even get enough pressure on card.

gotta build up that muscle!
ATM might not be a difficult move. But ATM requires quite a bit of foundational knowledge in cardistry and finger strength that comes from other moves. You can of course master it (I mean, what even is impossible in this world?) but I don't think it's a wise strategy to deal with it first.

Just wondering if I should just stick to all these basic building blocks and get them really smooth before moving onto other things.

I’m thinking sometimes that too much information is detrimental and to maybe just stick to perfecting a small chunk of moves before adding more to work on?

Absolutely.

You have the Revolution Cut down. Search 'Chris Ramsay' cardistry. His works aree fairly easy because he is also a magician who incidentally does some cardistry. Hubble and Lindholm are my favourites.

Card Spring is a 'must' apparently, BUT honestly, even a clean dribble does the job of amazing people.

Learn one display, that is the Werm. Easy but flashy. Learn it from Ramsay's channel where the original creators teach it (and teach it well!).

Learn one card flick. Jaspas has a card flick on his channel which is easy yet again, visual.

Learn the Scissor Cut (a basic) and the Judo Flip (not basic but grants you immediate entry into intermediate level, apparently! :D ).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

:)

Reactions: Lehmi and Chief2112
Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
For the last week I’ve had a deck of cards in my hands most of the day. I’ve only been trying to work on very basics.

Swing cut
Swivel cut
Thumb fan
Charlier cut
Revolution cut
Sybil

Should I just stick with those foundational moves until they are really smooth or should I look for even more stuff to work on?
Start with the basics and master those, and slowly move onto other moves. But there's no "fixed" path and go in whichever direction you choose, because there are different areas of cardistry to enjoy, all of which are personal preference.

I've introduced a lot of teenagers to cardistry, and subsequently wrote a couple of articles to help give them a good starting point. You may find that these give you some helpful tips:

How to Get Started in Cardistry
https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/all-in/how-to-get-started-in-cardistry

Top Moves and Flourishes That Beginners in Cardistry Should Learn (includes links to video tutorials)
https://playingcarddecks.com/blogs/...shes-that-beginners-in-cardistry-should-learn

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results