Live Streaming Magic - Thoughts?

Jun 1, 2009
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on here.

I recently got into streaming games on Twitch, and I thought adding in some magic and Rubik's cube stuff could be a fun way for me to stand out!

I was curious on what's allowed for this sort of thing? I imagined I'd be doing some flourishes and some simple tricks for a bit, mayyyybe practice some things if they aren't considered exposure (like anything public domain, right?) I could also do some mentalism stuff as well.

I wanted to get the community's thoughts here on that topic. If you'd like, drop some suggestions for tricks that work well over a screen medium :)

Thanks!

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
As far as I know, you're allowed to perform almost anything you like, not just effects that are in the public domain. Some artists/companies do withhold internet/television rights eg. Sansminds.

Reactions: Jacob L

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Thoughts?

Personally I'm not a fan, but that shouldn't stop you.

I don't think magic has really caught up with streaming video as a medium. The biggest problem I see is that it's difficult to properly convey a magical experience when video is involved. There's automatically a suspicion that something else could be happening.

So it would be your job to create something that is engaging, interesting, and mysterious within the confines of the video screen - while keeping in mind the natural suspicions any audience will have.

mayyyybe practice some things if they aren't considered exposure (like anything public domain, right?)

Never practice a mystery art in front of an audience. It's disrespectful to the audience, it's disrespectful to the art.

Jun 1, 2009
As far as I know, you're allowed to perform almost anything you like, not just effects that are in the public domain. Some artists/companies do withhold internet/television rights eg. Sansminds.
I've asked around other places and seem to have a similar consensus. I don't want to get sued though lol

Jun 1, 2009
Thoughts?

Personally I'm not a fan, but that shouldn't stop you.

I don't think magic has really caught up with streaming video as a medium. The biggest problem I see is that it's difficult to properly convey a magical experience when video is involved. There's automatically a suspicion that something else could be happening.

So it would be your job to create something that is engaging, interesting, and mysterious within the confines of the video screen - while keeping in mind the natural suspicions any audience will have.

Never practice a mystery art in front of an audience. It's disrespectful to the audience, it's disrespectful to the art.
I meant practice like something like Aaron Fisher's Popout move, not a full out effect. But I see what you mean. Maybe I'll just do flourishes and stuff like that.

Thanks for the reply!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Any product that wants to limit performance rights has to state those restrictions on the product page/before the order is made or money exchanged. Basically the purchase becomes a contract, and they can't change the terms of the contract AFTER the sale is made.

Therefore, anything you're thinking of performing, if you have paid for it, you should have full performance rights unless it was otherwise stated when you purchased it.

Make sense?

Flourishes are good to go, there's nothing to be revealed there. It's an extension of juggling, not magic.

Reactions: Jacob L
Jun 1, 2009
Any product that wants to limit performance rights has to state those restrictions on the product page/before the order is made or money exchanged. Basically the purchase becomes a contract, and they can't change the terms of the contract AFTER the sale is made.

Therefore, anything you're thinking of performing, if you have paid for it, you should have full performance rights unless it was otherwise stated when you purchased it.

Make sense?

Flourishes are good to go, there's nothing to be revealed there. It's an extension of juggling, not magic.
Yep, sounds good. I appreciate the help!

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on here.

I recently got into streaming games on Twitch, and I thought adding in some magic and Rubik's cube stuff could be a fun way for me to stand out!

I was curious on what's allowed for this sort of thing? I imagined I'd be doing some flourishes and some simple tricks for a bit, mayyyybe practice some things if they aren't considered exposure (like anything public domain, right?) I could also do some mentalism stuff as well.

I wanted to get the community's thoughts here on that topic. If you'd like, drop some suggestions for tricks that work well over a screen medium :)

Thanks!
I think its cool.

Any medium sounds ridiculous till somebody conquers it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results