LOKI by Dee Christopher

Mar 21, 2010
LOKI - dee christopher

the.EFFECT

The performer takes out three poker chips of different colours. Out of sight these are mixed and a spectator is asked to place each one in a different pocket while the performer’s head is turned, or he is blindfolded. The performer turns around and reveals where each chip is located through supposedly reading body tells.

the.PRAISE

"Loki is great. I can't recommend it any more highly than to say that I actually perfrom it..." Mark Elsdon (Rubik Remembered, Riser Deck, Zener Tech)

the.EBOOK

I'm reviewing this from Dee's other ebook, Pieces@3AM, as Loki is my favorite and most performed piece out of P@3AM. The ebook is, or should I say the Loki section averages out to 4 pages, but that is more than enough to teach Loki. Dee's teaching was very detailed, and simple - even for such a small, and easy routine.

my.THOUGHTS

The method behing Loki is sooo simple, yet clever at the same time - it's one of those ideas where it's just ridiculous (in a GOOD way!).

Dee describes Loki as, "A simple, direct and very REAL feeling effect. This is the PERFECT way to validate your skills as a psychological master." And this is so, oh very true. It's one of those routines where it's practically 'self-working', leaving you only to focus on the presentation. Now the effect seems REAL to those involved/present, as you correctly divine where each poker chip is when you had your back turned the entire time.

The real major points of Loki is that the props are VERY lightweight (just 3 different color poker chips and you're ready to go), it's 100% impromptu, and it gets a group of spectators involved, but at the same time, this little routine plays out SO big - it's VERY powerful.

This is something I'll occasionally perform, and you must see the reactions to believe them. I only pack 10 effects/routines in my repertoire and Loki IS one of them.

the.CONCLUSION

Now, for JUST under $10 (USA) you cannot go wrong for something this brillant, yet so effective - that doesn't play out as just an effect, but as "A Pyschological Miracle". It's one of those routines where Dee could have sold it the price of P@3AM, alone - IMHO - it's THAT phenomenal. I definitely think Dee surpassed himself with this one... 9.5/10!

the.LINK

http://www.mindlapse.net/loki

Mar 21, 2010
@oldavid1 - I believe the price is VERY reasonable for such a powerful, and simple routine. I HIGHLY recommend Loki.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Dee knows what I think if this effect. I love it but for some reason I don't peform it as often as I'd like to. I am not too big on carrying around things that seem like they are out of place. A deck of cards is about as far as I will go.

Mar 21, 2010
@D ICE R - I'm sure, them knowing you are a performer, they would clearly understand, but I do see your point. Although, I've never been called out as to why I'm carrying 3 poker chips.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I understand whole heartedly that most people will think nothing of it but I try to keep my props to natural and a minimum. Although when I when I am working I do have a Zener deck on me aswell.

I like things that feel natural and have multiple uses.

Just if anyone is wondering my working props when I am doing close up are (now days) ESP deck, regular deck, two pen and two impression pads plus business cards and my hideout wallet.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Yes any three objects can be used however they really need to be about the same size of else the audience will make up a psuedo method that is close to the actual one.

Mar 21, 2010
@ D ICE R - If you would like to make Loki more impromptu than it already is, and not carry the 3 poker chips, you could borrow 3 coins from the spectator, make notes of the dated years, and continue from there.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Intersting idea.

However I work a lot in bars where things like dates are quite hard to see.

Also it does not really fit into my 'power' as much as something like Universal Imagination does.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Universal imagination is an Andrew Gerard effect that uses three imaginary coins placed into pockets. Universal Impression is an impression pad that is very nice but in my eyes has too many flaws that other pads don't.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Thanks again for the detailed review, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde! :)

Also, don't forget to also check out the Impromptu Wallet Peek (ESOTERIC).

LOKI, along with ESOTERIC were among my favorites in PIECES@3AM.

Mar 21, 2010
@Jv - Once again, thank you Jv.

ESOTERIC was also one of my favorite pieces of Pieces@3AM; the fact that it's also 100% impromptu, and all you need to carry are a few business cards and pen. Also, the way Dee choreographed everything makes everything look clean and fair.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results