Looking for advice on the classic pass

Aug 7, 2013
Hi Guys,

I'm currently working on the classic pass. I've been utilising a mirror more recently to see how i am performing the move and yesterday i filmed myself. From the film, my intial angle was straight on where i could see the two parts of the deck transposing clearly. I later looked at it from above and while it still needs work in terms of of my hand position, index finger, it looked a lot better. My question is, for my peace of mind, should i be looking at trying to make that 'straight on' angle (where the camera is pointed in front of the cards, on a level with the cards) more invisible?...........or should i be looking solely from more of a higher angle?..

I hope this makes sense

Thanks

James.

Sep 16, 2012
Israel
Think of it this way - Practice the move and film yourself\use the mirrors from where it would appear to be your spectator
point of view. Mirrors \ videos are meant to show you what the audience will see when performing the moves.
Don't try to fool the camera with special angles, try to figure out how can you fool -using the right angle- the person
in front of you.

Apr 17, 2013
In the last hard back edition of the amateurs magician's hand book, there was a section about how to film your practice sessions. How to place to mirrors at an angle to your left and right side while filming head on to get the best coverage when played back.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
My opinion with the pass is that it's not about how you do it its about when you do it, and you can only learn this by performing. What I mean by this the pass should never be performed in full view with people burning your hands, even if when your practicing, it looks invisible. Its a move that should be performed in the shadows/on the off beat when people arn't burning your hands. Also don't trust what you see on video, you see so many people performing the perfect pass when the camera is straight on slightly above the hands, looking down ect, your just fooling yourself into thinking you technique is good because you have setup the optimal angle to perform the slight. In the real world getting that optimal angle is hardly likely to happen, especially if your performing to many people and you have lots of angles to think about. When you get into that situation you will get the harsh realization that all those hours spent infront of a static camera doesn't really help. So just concentrate on when rather than how with the pass.

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks for the post, I do see what you are saying completely, i think for me its still important to focus on my technique/how it looks/sounds. As well as this, focus on my misdirection. They are two very different aspects and i find, at the moment, i'm at the stage where i want to film from various spectator angles and see how I am performing and critique myself. For my personal development, i dont want to neglect this area and on top of this, i dont want to neglect misdirection either.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Thanks for the post, I do see what you are saying completely, i think for me its still important to focus on my technique/how it looks/sounds. As well as this, focus on my misdirection. They are two very different aspects and i find, at the moment, i'm at the stage where i want to film from various spectator angles and see how I am performing and critique myself. For my personal development, i dont want to neglect this area and on top of this, i dont want to neglect misdirection either.

I completely understand where you are coming from, and please don't think that I am suggesting getting away with sloppy technique by using misdirection. What Im getting at is yes learn the move until you get to the point of being able to do it smoothly, quietly ect but don't get over obsessed about angles and what it looks like from every possible angle, because this is where the timing comes in. If you can do the move well, it doesn't matter if you have people all around you, if you choose the right moment to do the move, which you should work into your presentation, it doesn't matter where people are no one will see it. When it comes to the pass I believe the technique is only a small percentage of the overall move, but timing makes up the most of it, and this can only be learned/practiced with performing.

Aug 7, 2013
Yeah i agree completely man. At this stage i want to ensure, almost as a personal accomplishment for myself is to ensure that from the general spectator angles, the pass looks good with the riffle or dribble for example. Then, from that, when i feel comfortable with my technique and delivery of the move, i will focus on my misdirection (when in context with what i am performing).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results