Loss of motivation for magic

Jan 11, 2008
france
i was just wondering how much magicians go through a loss of motivation for magic, and how they deal with it.

Its been happening to me alot lately, i think it may be due to the fact that I havent peformed in front of real people for a good couple months now...

anyway it would be interesting to know if experienced magicians go thorugh this and how they deal with it.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Funny you say that actually, because I've been feeling the same these past few days, but for a different reason which you said. Last week, I performed 5 days straight, so I feel accomplished with the effects and I'm taking a bit of a breather. I haven't really done much with a pack of cards in 2 days, but I have been working on some coin stuff.

So, I guess I haven't really lost motivation at all. :p

But with most things you do, if you lose motivation in it, it may be due to the fact that you feel what you're doing is boring and repetitive. It happens a lot when I practise on my drums, I always hate doing the same stuff over and over. SO what I do is I learn a new song or something, just to keep my interest.

Now, if you apply that to magic it should be quite helpful too.

Dec 5, 2007
i feel the same way jakeh

this may also be to the fact that the material you are doing is not challenging you enough
and you need a little push to get the juices flowing

trust me i know how you feel because after a while everyone goes through this phase
the challenge is getting through it

this challenge will only make you better in the end

i hope this helped

pm me if you have any questions

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
Do something different like coins if you are into cards, or vice versa or just watch some magic videos. I've been having that too because I haven't performed in a while because I currently can't walk and am on crutches plus watched the movie 21 which sparked my interest in card counting which is what I'm doing, but it isn't too far from card magic so yeah.

Sep 1, 2007
I had felt the same way for the last like 3 months but I still checked out all the magic websites and stuff daily to keep up with the news. For me, it was just that I had so much material and some of it I had showed and some I had not and I had so much stuff I wanted to practice and do that I got very disorganized.

Now back into my magic mood because I took a little break and came back and organized some routines and chose the material i really needed and would use and i feel a ot more "free" and I know what I'm doing. Maybe that will help you.

Jan 11, 2008
france
I think that might be my problem right now, I wanted to ask how you deal with organizing your material, i feel i have alot of material, however sometimes someone asks me to do a trick and i dont know what to do, I blank out, I have so much material and i dont organize it so i feel like i have no material.

how do you organize your material? do you write a list of the effects you know?

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
you have the same problem as me.
I have written all my tricks in a notepad under impropmtu and set up. If someone asks for a trick i look in it.

I think you just have to do a trick over and over again so when ever someone asks you a trick you can't help but think of these tricks you know so well

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
how do you organize your material? do you write a list of the effects you know?

I think you should indeed make a list. Memorize it, so you don't have to look at the paper each time before you perform. After showing one effect from your list, you could check from your list (a paper edition) what tricks you haven't performed lately, and then when someone asks a trick and you deside to show something, you can show that. I actually had a problem of not performing some tricks I'm technically confident with, only because I didn't remember them at the moment.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I think you should indeed make a list. Memorize it, so you don't have to look at the paper each time before you perform. After showing one effect from your list, you could check from your list (a paper edition) what tricks you haven't performed lately, and then when someone asks a trick and you deside to show something, you can show that. I actually had a problem of not performing some tricks I'm technically confident with, only because I didn't remember them at the moment.

That happens to me heaps, so thanks for the advice on that!

Dec 28, 2007
i was just wondering how much magicians go through a loss of motivation for magic, and how they deal with it.

Its been happening to me alot lately, i think it may be due to the fact that I havent peformed in front of real people for a good couple months now...

anyway it would be interesting to know if experienced magicians go thorugh this and how they deal with it.

What do you want to get out of your magic?
If you are not getting what you want, you will lose interest.
Sit down and take some time to think when you really enjoyed magic. If its perfoming that you like, find some ways to get in front of people and do magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results