Mad Sweeney, Shadow, American Gods, and Coin Tricks

Jan 22, 2017
Any suggestions on books to read if you wanted to recreate Mad Sweeney's coin tricks at the Crocodile Bar from the show American Gods?

Here's the description from the book

"Coin tricks is it?" asked Sweeney, his chin raising, his scruffy beard bristling. "Why, if it's coin tricks we're doing, watch this."

He took an empty glass from the table. Then he reached out and took a large coin, golden and shining, from the air. He dropped it into the glass. He took another gold coin from the air and tossed it into the glass, where it clinked against the first. He took a coin from the candle flame of a candle on the wall, another from his beard, a third from Shadow's empty left hand, and dropped them, one by one, into the glass. Then he curled his fingers over the glass, and blew hard, and several more golden coins dropped into the glass from his hand. He tipped the glass of sticky coins into his jacket pocket, and then tapped the pocket to show, unmistakably, that it was empty.

"There," he said. "That's a coin trick for you." Shadow, who had been watching closely, put his head on one side. "I need to know how you did it."

"I did it," said Sweeney, with the air of one confiding a huge secret, "with panache and style. That's how I did it." He laughed, silently, rocking on his heels, his gappy teeth bared.

"Yes," said Shadow. "That is how you did it.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
That's a misers dream routine. Generally magicians will do these on stage with a tin pail of some sort. I've never seen a misers dream done in the way it's described here but I'd be willing to bet that with a copy of JB Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and some time, you could construct a routine that looks identical. The book teaches all the sleights necessary to produce multiple coins and there's even a whole section on the misers dream. The only part you'll need to get creative with is vanishing the coins from your pocket. The book won't teach you that, but I believe in you - you'll find a solution.

Jan 22, 2017
Thanks for the response. I just got that book. The miser's dream part I knew. My post should have been a little more specific. In the book's Starz adaptation, Mad Sweeney does a coin flip vanish where the coins landing is delayed. I'd be curious if anybody has any thoughts on that.

Reactions: notsoltd
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Hmm maybe if I saw a video it'd help. Ellusionists released Ping by Tobias Dostal which sounds like it may fit the bill but I can't be sure without seeing a clip.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's exactly what it sounds like - he flips the coin up in the air, out of the frame. A good bit later, the coin falls to the table.

Could be done with a stage reel.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results