Magic a dying art...

Nov 9, 2007
Magic is an art. It can be performed by anyone like any other art but now magic is no longer about having fun performing and seeing the reactions on peoples faces, but now many magicians, especially young ones, are just using it to impress women.

Magic should be studied with dedication but there are so many DVD's that offer tricks. It makes new magicains just buy these amazing looking tricks on DVD's but dont study from books and learn the basics. All we do is copy it and say its ours.

A few months ago i was studying magic with a friend when he found a website. He bought Mercury and started practicing it but thats all he has performed. This creates a problem because when i asked him if he knew any basic sleights every magicain should know, he was clueless.

Magic should be dont to entertain people not to get impress people. Magic is now full of young magicians who have no clue or dedication about magic.

This is all I have to say and we need to study with a dedication.

Cheers!..

C

clarrus

Refer him to the book The royal road to card magic it is also a DVD set and is freakin outstanding. In regards to your friend, that may be his blossoming age. The one thing that gets him interested in magic. I'm sure if he really has a passion to be a magician, he will seek out the sleights and flourishes. Everyone has to start from somewhere. I got started into it from just one trick also. It was a simple sleight I learned years ago but that's what got me started

Maybe you should consider taking him in under your wing and help fix the problems instead of just stating it. If I may make up a false story, That's how Aaron Fisher got so good with magic, I took him under my wing and taught him everything he knows.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm a guitarist. I write my own music and seriously study technique, music theory, and different genres.

But apparently, being a guitarist is a dying art because most guys just learn how to do it to pick up chicks. Do you know how many guitarists there are out there who can't even read music?

I assure you, it sounds every bit as ridiculous when you say it.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

Loz

Oct 5, 2007
Northampton, England
How is magic a dying art just because a few kids aren't reading books, they'll probably just stop in a few weeks when people get bored of them, and they get bored of shelling out $30 apiece for each DVD. If they don't stop? Then they'll probably eventually pick up Royal Road or Card College, or Bobo's coin magic or whatever. If there was a requirement on every DVD that said "YOU MUST HAVE READ SUCH AND SUCH A BOOK BEFORE LEARNING THIS TRICK" then no one would ever make any money.

I used to be pretty certain I was a good singer when I was about 11, then I realised I was actually s**t and my mum only thought I was wonderful because she was my mum. The same thing applies here, these people will realise they suck and move on when they realise that no-one finds them entertaining.

I think Steerpike's analogy was slightly better but whatever :rolleyes:

I'm getting the feeling that maybe you're slightly jealous that this kid is getting more attention than you because he impresses women by "copying" magic (Incidentally, where you do learn your magic from? Last time I checked, reading from abook is still copying) Do you think you're better because you know basic sleights? By the sounds of it you weren't exactly supportive of your friend: everyone needs a helping hand to get started so why didn't you just help him out and lend him royal road or something? If you were just starting magic and you had an entire website with probably 1000+ tricks on, would you go for the shiny looking DVD with some dude leaning against a graffiti covered wall in snazzy sunglasses or the dated looking 1950's "Royal Road" book with a cover that looks like it's been ejected from the back end of a donkey. Enough said.

Basically, either do something about it or stop whinging about it on internet forums.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Loz...

You spelled realize and Whining Wrong..
Just FYI..

Anyway..

Magic is NOT a dying art.
It will never die..

There have been magicians since Christ, And there will be magicians Until the end of time.

If magic is a dying art.. Well then art is a dying art..
I dont see any GREAT AWESOME BREATHTAKING new works of art in museums..

So that must meant art is dying..
WRONG!

---------------------------

There are almost 2 thousand members on these forums.. And guess what?!
THEY ARE ALL MAGICIANS!

Magic.
IS
NOT
Dying.

~Jordan Garret

Loz...

Anyway..

Magic is NOT a dying art.
It will never die..

There have been magicians since Christ, And there will be magicians Until the end of time.

If magic is a dying art.. Well then art is a dying art..
I dont see any GREAT AWESOME BREATHTAKING new works of art in museums..

So that must meant art is dying..
WRONG!

---------------------------

There are almost 2 thousand members on these forums.. And guess what?!
THEY ARE ALL MAGICIANS!

Magic.
IS
NOT
Dying.

~Jordan Garret

Actually there has been magicians since pharohs in egypt, but seriously magic is not a dying art infact it's great that people are into magic because they want to impress people. I remember when I used to show magic to impress only and now I feel passion for the art and I hope your friend feels the same as I do in the future. Probally some advice would be to help him and may be teach him a few simple sleights.

Sep 2, 2007
Just because some people (myself included) have used magic to attract women (I refuse to say "pick up chicks") doesn't mean that's all we use it for. I have entertained people of all genders and ages with my magic, and I've definitely picked up a phone number or seven in the process. If other artists use their talents this way, I don't see why magicians shouldn't.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Magic should be dont to entertain people not to get impress people. Magic is now full of young magicians who have no clue or dedication about magic.

Just out of sheer curiosity how old are you? Your original post seems more like self-reflection more than it does a summarization on the current state of magic.

I find it pretty humorous that you feel there are basic sleights that every magician should know, as if 'magicians' could all be classified into a single category. I think you will find as you get more experience in and with magic, that there are many schools of magic out there that do not all rely on the same techniques or principles. There is more to magic than card tricks I assure you....

--Jim

Loz

Oct 5, 2007
Northampton, England
Loz...

You spelled realize and Whining Wrong..
Just FYI..

Anyway..

Realised isn't spelt wrong, in the UK that's how we spell it. The word is in fact"whinging"...

"whing·ing. British and Australian Informal.
to complain; whine."

Not everyone's from America pal.

And as for your post, "and" and "until" shouldn't be capitalised, "don't" should have an apostrophe in it and an elipsis has three dots, not two.

Just fyi :rolleyes:

Can we get back to the magic now instead of nitpicking people's grammar?

Realised isn't spelt wrong, in the UK that's how we spell it. The word is in fact"whinging"...

"whing·ing. British and Australian Informal.
to complain; whine."

Not everyone's from America pal.

And as for your post, "and" and "until" shouldn't be capitalised, "don't" should have an apostrophe in it and an elipsis has three dots, not two.

Just fyi :rolleyes:

Can we get back to the magic now instead of nitpicking people's grammar?
That made me laugh out loud. I rather enjoyed that grammatical ownage.

I don't think magic is in its prime, but its not dying. I don't really see any evidence showing that its dying.

Aug 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
I woudn't go that far to say magic is a dying art...The only downside for magic is that magicians on TV lately are relying ONLY on camera tricks and cheating, and that's sad.

Also, I know many young magicians that know a ton about magic, but yes there are many who also know all this modern stuff, but don't know what an Elmsley count is...

You shouldn't worry about these types of people. I don't.

If they aren't doing magic for themselves and doing more to impress other people and not to have fun, then they eventually get bored and quit. Especially guys who do it for girls, because what happen when they finally get a girlfreind. There wouldn't really be much of a reason to be doing it anymore.

Don't stress over it. You just have to let things like this work out on it's own and it will...

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Magic will endure the merely curious and dregs of the world. It is too much a staple of our world culture to ever fully go away. If you feel it is in danger, do something about it. Remind people it IS an art like painting or dance and requires the practice AND respect the other arts derive.

Sep 2, 2007
I woudn't go that far to say magic is a dying art...The only downside for magic is that magicians on TV lately are relying ONLY on camera tricks and cheating, and that's sad.

Also, I know many young magicians that know a ton about magic, but yes there are many who also know all this modern stuff, but don't know what an Elmsley count is...

This is simply not true. I can't think of a single magician on television today who relies ONLY on camera tricks, including Criss Angel. His sleight of hand, escapes, much of his mentalism, and many of his illusions are the real deal. I'm aware he uses stooges (a legitimate tool in magic) but I've never seen any definitive proof that he uses actual camera trickery to accomplish anything he does. Until I see such proof, I have no reason to doubt that he does nothing the easy way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results