Magic By Pavel Yakimov HD

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
It's a nice start. Work on your double lift a little bit though.
"A double lift should be handled like a flower. You see magicians handling doubles as if they were planks of wood or something. It makes me want to cry." - Dai Vernon

gavinross

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
toledo, ohio
I disagree with that quote. A double lift should be handled just as you would a single lift / turnover. That means its different for everyone. Sorry, not everyone turns over one card "like a flower" (whatever that really means). Find out how you natually turn over a single card and mime it with your doubles, there is no one size fits all method. I believe Dai Vernon may be in reference to handling the double with as little tension as possible, in that respect he's right on.
-Tyler

Sep 2, 2007
London
Sorry, not everyone turns over one card "like a flower" (whatever that really means).

Vernon wasn't suggesting that you turn over your card like a flower. Why would anyone turn a flower over? I suppose you might want to use the stem as a toothpick, but that would be pretty unusual. The point he was making was that the double should be held delicately, with a minimum of force being exerted, and, as you say, with as little tension as possible. If you turn your singles over in an ugly, tense manner, then I think it would be an error to try and adapt your doubles to suit this handling. Also, different techniques for the double lift suit different occasions. Rather than making your double turnover match your single turnover, make your double and single turnovers match the best possible turnovers in that given situation.

gavinross

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
toledo, ohio
Vernon wasn't suggesting that you turn over your card like a flower. Why would anyone turn a flower over? I suppose you might want to use the stem as a toothpick, but that would be pretty unusual. The point he was making was that the double should be held delicately, with a minimum of force being exerted, and, as you say, with as little tension as possible. If you turn your singles over in an ugly, tense manner, then I think it would be an error to try and adapt your doubles to suit this handling. Also, different techniques for the double lift suit different occasions. Rather than making your double turnover match your single turnover, make your double and single turnovers match the best possible turnovers in that given situation.

Good points. However if you cant turn a single card over without being "ugly and tense" maybe that person should stick to collecting stamps. Seriously though, that person should not be practicing a DL anyway, thats walking before you can crawl.
And I still stick to my point that your single lift or single turn over needs to match your double. True, the type of double may change based on the situation to get your hand in proper placement for a particular slight but the way you turn over or lift that double should replicate how you would do it if it was a single card in that specific situation. This is important because there should be no discrepency in your singles or doubles. If you do a single card reveal in a flouishy way that you could not do with 2+ cards then dont turn the single over that way. I think they call it uniformity of action...and if they dont call it that then I am officially calling it that because it sounds good to me.
-Tyler

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I suggest looking into Dai Vernon's April 1st 1977 lecture. The first 10 minutes or so talk about his ideas on the double lift. You aren't wrong by the way, but I'm suggesting further research for clarity on the subject.
-P.A.V

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results