Magic/Cardistry New Years Resolutions

Dec 27, 2015
I want to learn more sleights/flourishes, and improve upon the ones that I already know. I don't have any that I met/didn't meet this year because I just started magic in September after my friend showed me here then there at a resturaunt.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Wait.... are we talking about last years resolution..... nope I'm still fat. Technically the year is not over but I doubt that I will lose the amount of weight I wanted to within the next 2 days 8 hours and 33 minutes. Oh well, here is to this years resolution.

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
Unfortunately, I didn't do much this year :( I had a lot going on graduating from high school
But for next year,
I'm planning to start a Youtube magic/science show.
I want to do the stage show I was dreaming about for 2 years now.
And a project I call (youtube magic week) I hope I can do it this time.

One of the things on my 2015 to do list was (Win an SNC) I think I still have a chance to put a (✓) mark just next to that goal, the results of the last SNC of this year are not out yet, but if I didn't win I will move it to 2016 and keep trying, but through this year I learned that the most important part of these contest is sharing good magic with good friends in this awesome community not only "winning" so in 2016 to do list it will be (Enter as much SNCs as you can).

My main resolution is to finally get my ebook out. I love writing magic as much as I love learning it, but it feels like I've been writing this book forever! I have had few items published in magazines over the last year and a half but now I feel like I'm ready to finally publish a bunch of ideas as a stand alone product.

Good news is Lybrary.com have shown an interest already (subject to amending a few typos!) so hopefully will be out before the end of the month. This might just be the first time I actually manage to achieve one of my New Years resolutions!

I also want to get out and perform more. I love the creating aspect but at the moment I feel like I'm missing out on the 'other part' of what we do: blowing away lay audiences on a regular basis.

Other than that I just want to keep learning, reading and doing what I do!

Rev

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
My main resolution is to finally get my ebook out. I love writing magic as much as I love learning it, but it feels like I've been writing this book forever! I have had few items published in magazines over the last year and a half but now I feel like I'm ready to finally publish a bunch of ideas as a stand alone product.

Good news is Lybrary.com have shown an interest already (subject to amending a few typos!) so hopefully will be out before the end of the month. This might just be the first time I actually manage to achieve one of my New Years resolutions!

I also want to get out and perform more. I love the creating aspect but at the moment I feel like I'm missing out on the 'other part' of what we do: blowing away lay audiences on a regular basis.

Rev

Hey! You changed your avatar!

That is awesome that you're doing your own standalone project--with Lybrary, no less.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Okay. I spent the majority of last year on a cardistry bender. Made a video and everything; though not very well liked.
This year, it's 90% magic. I REALLY want to perform at the children's hospital this year. Even if it is all prop magic. Chomping at the bit. That and I want to say I made an 'all Tenyo childrens show'.
Thing is, we are purchasing our first (and last) house and should be moved in by the summer. I'm not sure what my magic budget will look like, as well as time to make it to the hospital to volunteer; with all of my hospital appointments, appointments with the housing company, the twins being in school. It's going to be real hit-and-miss until we move.
So I spoke with the missus that I wouldn't touch the subject until we are finally settled in and when the kids are back in school. Gives me some more time to practice and MAYBE acquire some more Tenyo by that time. I really only need two-three more Tenyo for the show, some specialized fabric and some tailoring to turn them into handkerchiefs of various sizes. But I'm REALLY shooting for about 6 Tenyo by the time I start :D What can you do, I like my performance Tenyo.

I received some magic books in Christmas by a great magician friend and I want to learn the basics of coin magic, and start gravitating towards card magic eventually (since cards CANNOT be sanitized in a hospital, so no card work there...yet).

I have a few more ideas I want to publish on the Wire. I'm working on one as we speak called 'Shovel'. Maybe publish a coin flourish or two for free. I would like to publish a sort of card flourish 'bundle' at the end of the year called 'DIG!' (I'm using the end of the year more of as a non-stressful goal for myself; not as much a marketing gimmick. But it helps.)

I would also like to look healthier and less...Gollum-like. I was trying to do that during Christmas by REALLY messed my back up doing crunches and have to see the doctor on Tuesday. Either my back gets fixed or I get a Bane mask. Either way, I win. That would be great performing magic in the voice of Bane.

'Tell everyone...who signed this card.'
'...Only me.'
'Only you...Thank you. Good spectator.'
*shuffles deck*
'...This deck is armed! This card is mobile! And the identity of the chosen card...is at the top of the deck! This is the Ambitious Card of your liberation!'

Dec 27, 2015
Brett I really hope you get to achieve your goals this year. I really like the idea of performing magic at a children's hospital.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Brett I really hope you get to achieve your goals this year. I really like the idea of performing magic at a children's hospital.

Shootin for it!

The big problem I faced with the children's hospital's in Texas is that they do not allow strolling work--which, with what Tenyo I had preparing for performing at the UMC hospital there, was a majority of my inventory and preparation and focus.

The Texas children's hospitals, however, have a way to send live feed of media to every room in the hospital. Like a magic show. :D

I know what I NEED. Just need to save up all my nickels and dimes.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Rev

In a shocking turn of events, for the first time ever, I have actually managed to achieve a New Year's Resolution, and in only ten days!

I know there are rules about advertising on this forum so I won't push my luck, but if you're interested my ebook 'Card Ideas' is now available for only $7 at Lybrary.com.*

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum who has given me feedback on the videos/routines I have posted, several of which feature in the ebook. You're enthusiasm for the routines it what spurred me on.

If anything, hopefully this will inspire others to chase their dream and just go for it!

I look forward to hearing updates on everyone else magic resolutions as well!

Rev

*Mods, if this is in anyway completely unacceptable, please let me know, or feel free to delete this post. I like this forum too much to get chucked out!

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
In a shocking turn of events, for the first time ever, I have actually managed to achieve a New Year's Resolution, and in only ten days!

I know there are rules about advertising on this forum so I won't push my luck, but if you're interested my ebook 'Card Ideas' is now available for only $7 at Lybrary.com.*

I just want to say thanks to everyone on this forum who has given me feedback on the videos/routines I have posted, several of which feature in the ebook. You're enthusiasm for the routines it what spurred me on.

If anything, hopefully this will inspire others to chase their dream and just go for it!

I look forward to hearing updates on everyone else magic resolutions as well!

Rev

*Mods, if this is in anyway completely unacceptable, please let me know, or feel free to delete this post. I like this forum too much to get chucked out!

That's awesome that you got a resolution does in 10 days! All is full of 'WIN!'

Reactions: Rev

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
I received some magic books in Christmas by a great magician friend and I want to learn the basics of coin magic, and start gravitating towards card magic eventually (since cards CANNOT be sanitized in a hospital, so no card work there...yet).
Have you considered using Bicycle's cellulose cards? Cellulose is used in ping pong balls, so the cards feel similar, it is completely washable, and should be workable in situations where you NEED that bit of card magic. I prefer these cellulose ones as it doesn't feel like smooth plastic. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.bicyclecards.com/product/bicycle-prestige-standard-index-playing-cards/#filter

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There is a lot of card magic that doesn't require the audience to touch the cards and that can be performed in front of a large group. Six card repeat comes to mind. Also, you can use Jumbo Cards -- I love the Bigger Card routine in Mark Wilson's book.

Oct 19, 2015
Okay. I spent the majority of last year on a cardistry bender. Made a video and everything; though not very well liked.
This year, it's 90% magic. I REALLY want to perform at the children's hospital this year. Even if it is all prop magic. Chomping at the bit. That and I want to say I made an 'all Tenyo childrens show'.
Thing is, we are purchasing our first (and last) house and should be moved in by the summer. I'm not sure what my magic budget will look like, as well as time to make it to the hospital to volunteer; with all of my hospital appointments, appointments with the housing company, the twins being in school. It's going to be real hit-and-miss until we move.
So I spoke with the missus that I wouldn't touch the subject until we are finally settled in and when the kids are back in school. Gives me some more time to practice and MAYBE acquire some more Tenyo by that time. I really only need two-three more Tenyo for the show, some specialized fabric and some tailoring to turn them into handkerchiefs of various sizes. But I'm REALLY shooting for about 6 Tenyo by the time I start :D What can you do, I like my performance Tenyo.

I have a few more ideas I want to publish on the Wire. I'm working on one as we speak called 'Shovel'. Maybe publish a coin flourish or two for free. I would like to publish a sort of card flourish 'bundle' at the end of the year called 'DIG!' (I'm using the end of the year more of as a non-stressful goal for myself; not as much a marketing gimmick. But it helps.)

I would also like to look healthier and less...Gollum-like. I was trying to do that during Christmas by REALLY messed my back up doing crunches and have to see the doctor on Tuesday. Either my back gets fixed or I get a Bane mask. Either way, I win. That would be great performing magic in the voice of Bane.

'Tell everyone...who signed this card.'
'...Only me.'
'Only you...Thank you. Good spectator.'
*shuffles deck*
'...This deck is armed! This card is mobile! And the identity of the chosen card...is at the top of the deck! This is the Ambitious Card of your liberation!'

My only focus is 'kids' magic and since I have 6 Grandkids ranging from 19 to 1 year I have a captured audience. I have a dream of performing for kids in the hospitals...but got a ways to go before I get their. I found out this year that Rope magic, without gimmicks is easy to learn and kids love it, even our 19 year old twins! My favorite is Professors Nightmare and Cut & Restored Knot. I have a CD from www.magicMakersInc.come...titled 30 Tricks and Tips...

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
My only focus is 'kids' magic and since I have 6 Grandkids ranging from 19 to 1 year I have a captured audience. I have a dream of performing for kids in the hospitals...but got a ways to go before I get their. I found out this year that Rope magic, without gimmicks is easy to learn and kids love it, even our 19 year old twins! My favorite is Professors Nightmare and Cut & Restored Knot. I have a CD from www.magicMakersInc.come...titled 30 Tricks and Tips...

That is awesome! And quite an age range too!

At the moment, I'm learning coins because you can sanitize coins if they are handled (because in a hospital, if kids touch a deck of cards, you can't sanitize the cards and you have to throw them away).

But rope magic. It's big, it's visual; I have never thought about it and I think I should look into it. The only rope tricks I know if are 'Professors Nightmare' & 'Fiber Optics'.

I wish you the best and good luck to you on your journey!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Dec 21, 2015
My New Year Resolution is to make a one handed color change..I've got some of it down...But it's REALLY REALLY HARD..Not to mention it doesn't look smooth or clean right now..You can easily see the sleight. But, I'm hoping to get it down soon.

I mean a color change using the whole deck in one hand..Not picking up a double lift with one hand and using the snap change.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results