Magic Castle

Jul 28, 2009
Hey, just wondering if anybody was trying out for the magic castle junior program that are in a week. Just checking.

Sep 1, 2007
I am! I'll be doing a card trick of some sorts, either an original routine of mine or some sleightless self working high level of presentational skills trick. I was quite impressed by your changes video, I hope I can see some of that in real life next saturday!

I just realized, 3 years I've been registered, 1 post. I am definitely a huge lurker! (Actually I just tried to register but it said my email was in use already so I password reset ;p)

I am! I'll be doing a card trick of some sorts, either an original routine of mine or some sleightless self working high level of presentational skills trick. I was quite impressed by your changes video, I hope I can see some of that in real life next saturday!

I just realized, 3 years I've been registered, 1 post. I am definitely a huge lurker! (Actually I just tried to register but it said my email was in use already so I password reset ;p)

Only do self working effects if you want to fail.

The JR. program is harder than the adults, and I know for a fact that they hate self working card tricks in the adult program.

Sep 1, 2007
By self working I don't really mean like your standard "Okay was it in this pile?" type of trick, I'm talking about an Open Prediction Plot effect using a force in the spectaters hands. The balducci force to be precise It's self working in the fact that I don't touch the deck.

I plan to do my own routine, and the OPP effect is just as a backup if i get a bad case of nerves and think I can't handle the cards myself :p.

Why exactly is the jr program harder to get into?

Sep 1, 2007
I'll be there and see you perform. I wish you luck, but I do have an advice for you.
Don't be interesting, be INTERESTED.

Tricky Devil

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I'm guessing your trying to say I should look natural and like I haven't been practicing for months to do this but I don't want to misinterpret.

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I'm guessing your trying to say I should look natural and like I haven't been practicing for months to do this but I don't want to misinterpret.

This is a very old piece of advice given to me by my broadcast announcer professor. It means that don't make thing you are doing interesting, but be interested in what you are doing.

Because when you are interested in what you are doing, you opened a new path and walk your spectator to the next level of entertainment. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense right now, but as time goes on you will get what it means.

I just mention this quote because it helped me a lot in magic, especially in silent act. So, I wanted to pass it on to other people.

Aug 31, 2007
Only do self working effects if you want to fail.

The JR. program is harder than the adults, and I know for a fact that they hate self working card tricks in the adult program.

Draven, do not take offense from this, but I hardly think you have the right to be giving advice of the Junior Auditions, as they are VASTLY different from the adult auditions. I completely disagree with the "advice" you have given, and the rude manor you have given with it. I encourage you to read what I have to say below.

If you do a self work effect, you will NOT "Fail". You must keep in mind that most of the highest working professionals do not do the most complicated of all tricks. A completely self working trick with entertaining, and well presented patter can become an amazing act/audition.
Every magician gets caught up on the trick, and that should be the LEAST of your problems. Would you rather your audience remember your trick, or remember YOU? In my mind, the tricks are just the vehicle that carries my personality, and myself as a person to the audience. Some people may disagree with this opinion, but I'd much rather somebody say, "Man he was such a great performer" rather than "His clipshift is completely invisible.

So if you can combine your skill set with your personality, and your presentation, than you have a very high chance of excelling in both the auditions and magic. However if you have a great personality, and a great performance, it won't matter what if your doing a self working trick, or a ridiculous knuckle-buster. If they like YOU as a person, then you will NOT fail.

I'll be there and see you perform. I wish you luck, but I do have an advice for you.
Don't be interesting, be INTERESTED.

Tricky Devil

I have never heard that quote, but I suppose it makes a bit of sense. However I think it is more than possible to be moth interesting AND interested.

~Zach

Draven, do not take offense from this,

Probably won't happen. Not after that being your opening sentence.

but I hardly think you have the right to be giving advice of the Junior Auditions...

Yep I was right...

...as they are VASTLY different from the adult auditions. I completely disagree with the "advice" you have given, and the rude manor you have given with it. I encourage you to read what I have to say below.

If you do a self work effect, you will NOT "Fail". You must keep in mind that most of the highest working professionals do not do the most complicated of all tricks. A completely self working trick with entertaining, and well presented patter can become an amazing act/audition.

Every magician gets caught up on the trick, and that should be the LEAST of your problems. Would you rather your audience remember your trick, or remember YOU? In my mind, the tricks are just the vehicle that carries my personality, and myself as a person to the audience. Some people may disagree with this opinion, but I'd much rather somebody say, "Man he was such a great performer" rather than "His clipshift is completely invisible.

So if you can combine your skill set with your personality, and your presentation, than you have a very high chance of excelling in both the auditions and magic. However if you have a great personality, and a great performance, it won't matter what if your doing a self working trick, or a ridiculous knuckle-buster. If they like YOU as a person, then you will NOT fail.

I have never heard that quote, but I suppose it makes a bit of sense. However I think it is more than possible to be moth interesting AND interested.

~Zach

First off Zach, please don't take offense to this. That last post wasn't rude. That post was matter-of-fact. I can do rude though if you wish. It's not a side of me that I like to show off but I can oblige you if I must. Just to illustrate my point, I've laced the following remainder of my post with sarcasm, cynicism, and just a bit of jerkness (if that's a word), just so you may see the difference.

I must have missed the castle seminar where they explained what individuals rights are and when they can be exerted. Forgive me. I suppose the ever growing rift between the Jr.s and the rest of the Magic Castle wasn't as obvious to me as it is to you. All this time I thought we were playing on the same field as equals. Thank you for reminding me of my place.

Hell you kids in the Jr. program have it easy. Back in my day we used to have to walk up hill in fifteen feet of snow both ways JUST to buy a single deck of playing cards which cost us a whole 5 cents. But I'll tell you one thing, that was a months savings back then and money used to go a lot further too in those days. I forgot how different the programs between the adults and Jr.s is. Must be senility setting in.

As to the rest of your post, and after that slap in my face, I'm almost at gritted teeth to say that I agree with you. Given that I've written a few essays myself on presentation over effect I'd be a fool to not acknowledge the wisdom there. But your points made. I have no business in this thread, so to that I'll leave it to you. Listen to Zach. Not only is he a magician but he's apparently has more rights than I do to speak on this subject.

Apparently this is one subject I don't know what I'm talking about. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Draven, do not take offense from this, but I hardly think you have the right to be giving advice of the Junior Auditions, as they are VASTLY different from the adult auditions. I completely disagree with the "advice" you have given, and the rude manor you have given with it. I encourage you to read what I have to say below.

~Zach

Whoa, dude. That was deep.

Aug 31, 2007
Whoa, dude. That was deep.

Any time TD, any time.

Draven,

I do not think there is a rift between the adults and the JRs. After all, after 21, the juniors become adult members. The reason I say they are so different, is that I believe the age difference of the auditioners plays a big part. Why? Because the kids that audition are under a different type of influence, which effects what material they perform.

I have been to 5 junior auditions, and a lot of the people these young magicians look up to are people like Dan and Dave, and other mechanically oriented magicians. Now before any one jumps down my throat, I love the material the Bucks put out, and I love the challenge of sleight heavy tricks. However a lot of these kids go into the auditions thinking that skill plays a big factor, when in reality, they haven't even given thought to the presentation.
I cannot count to the number of times I have seen a kid do Tivo 2.0, and the trick looks great, but they are slumped over, not looking at the audience, and you can't hear anything they are saying. So when people say, do not do self working tricks, that really isn't important. What you need to do is work on the PERFORMANCE. Magic is a performance art! A spectator gets the same thing out of a self working trick and a move monkey trick. They don't know how it's done. They don't care how it works. They want to be entertained. And if they are, nothing else matters.

~Zach

Any time TD, any time.

Draven,

I do not think there is a rift between the adults and the JRs. After all, after 21, the juniors become adult members. The reason I say they are so different, is that I believe the age difference of the auditioners plays a big part. Why? Because the kids that audition are under a different type of influence, which effects what material they perform.

I have been to 5 junior auditions, and a lot of the people these young magicians look up to are people like Dan and Dave, and other mechanically oriented magicians. Now before any one jumps down my throat, I love the material the Bucks put out, and I love the challenge of sleight heavy tricks. However a lot of these kids go into the auditions thinking that skill plays a big factor, when in reality, they haven't even given thought to the presentation.
I cannot count to the number of times I have seen a kid do Tivo 2.0, and the trick looks great, but they are slumped over, not looking at the audience, and you can't hear anything they are saying. So when people say, do not do self working tricks, that really isn't important. What you need to do is work on the PERFORMANCE. Magic is a performance art! A spectator gets the same thing out of a self working trick and a move monkey trick. They don't know how it's done. They don't care how it works. They want to be entertained. And if they are, nothing else matters.

~Zach

Words of wisdom.

Showmanship, Presentation.

Be interesting and interested.

Sep 1, 2007
I guess I'm in the clear (haha not really). I LOVE Dan and Dave, but I prefer magicians who can wow a crowd with proper presentation instead of heavy sleights. I won't be " slumped over, not looking at the audience, and you can't hear anything they are saying". I've practiced my lines, doing my sleights with my lines, look at people while doing my lines, and making it look like I'm having fun. So I hope to stand out and do well!

Aug 31, 2007
I guess I'm in the clear (haha not really). I LOVE Dan and Dave, but I prefer magicians who can wow a crowd with proper presentation instead of heavy sleights. I won't be " slumped over, not looking at the audience, and you can't hear anything they are saying". I've practiced my lines, doing my sleights with my lines, look at people while doing my lines, and making it look like I'm having fun. So I hope to stand out and do well!

With that mindset, I think you'll do great :)

~Zach

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results