Magic DVDs

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
hello
i'm new to magic i want a DVD or name of tricks that i can perform on the streets without any set up or atleast simple sit up

Sep 1, 2007
England
how new to magic are you? some advise, i would practice the magic for a long time before you start performing...

With respect, I think you would struggle to be more wrong.

The buzz of performing and the enjoyment you get from the experience is what drives you to keep practicing and bettering yourself. I know this is true for me and many others too. Doesn't matter if you mess up some of your early performances. You're bound to mess up some time anyway.

I say practice a few simple tricks, maybe learn an easy force and plant a duplicate card in your wallet or something and have some fun!

As for your question, check out Royal Road to Card Magic, Card College (which is better if you can afford it) Card College Light (all self-working card tricks, but fantastic ones). Also worth looking into, Close-up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne.

Tom

Mar 20, 2008
Indiana
the reason i said what i said about practicing was that if he is serious about magic, he doesn't want people to "catch" him in the act of performing the trick and then they won't be as interested because they will know how "it" is done........this is just my opinion. i see all over the web about how you shouldn't just learn a trick half a** and then go perform it like you are a pro..

Sep 1, 2007
England
you shouldn't just learn a trick half a** and then go perform it like you are a pro..

This may be true, but he can perform as a beginner, he does not need to perform as a pro.

I know I messed up a lot in my earlier peformances, and if anything, it helped me.

I'm not saying he should learn the first card he finds and then start taking bookings. But I do strongly feel that he will greatly enjoy the experience of showing a few tricks he's taken the time to learn to his friends and family.

Tom

Mar 20, 2008
Indiana
i see what you are saying now...i totally agree...i was thinking of those kids that just go learn something really fast to impress people...my bad

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
and i forgot to say that i started since feb but i didn't actually focus on real magic only basics like double lift, brick, ...
so right now i know and perfected almost everything in born to perform DVD by oz pearlman
and i really enjoy when i do magic for family and friends and i enjoy it more than they do but i dont perform for stranger cuz make hands start to shack and ruin the whole trick

Sep 1, 2007
England
i dont perform for stranger cuz make hands start to shack and ruin the whole trick

This happens to loads of people, especially when you are just starting out. Don't worry, it will pass in time.

Something you might like to try is a self-working trick for some strangers, your shaking hands shouldn't hinder your ability to present such a trick and after a sucessful performance your confidence will build and the shaking will go away.

Check out Card College Light for some fantastic self working tricks.

Tom

Sep 1, 2007
England
I would actually stay away from the 1 on 1 videos. I mean, come on, for $20 you get the two card fundamentals videos. Now, Aaron is a good magician, but you are getting ripped off there. You learn very little. It's all good stuff, but there's not much there. For more like $10 you can pick up a copy of the Royal Road to Card Magic. Still considered by many to be the best way to start card magic (even though I personally think Card College has surpassed it). You will not only learn everything in the Fisher 1 on 1s, but a whole bundle more. For half the price.

To top it all off there's even a trick that Kenner put on a 1-on-1 in Royal Road. You buy them on this site it will cost you $25. You buy the Royal Road to Card Magic, it will cost you about $10 (depends where you get it, about $13 on Amazon down to $5 as a download on lybrary.com, that's right, $5, the cost of a single trick or flourish on 1-on-1 for a complete beginners course on sleight of hand card magic including numerous sleights and 100 or so tricks. Tell me that's a bad deal)

Seriously, 1-on-1s are not worth your time. There are maybe one or two there that are not published elsewhere or that are hard to obtain and that are worth learning or it's nice to see someone do. But the rest of them... they're not bad magic as such, it's just not a good deal.

Tom

but i dont perform for stranger cuz make hands start to shack and ruin the whole trick

Oh yeah, I remember the first couple of times I performed, even to people who are not totally strangers but not so close to me either... My hands shook like mad and I had to come up with all sorts of excuses ("Jee, it's reslly cold here, isn't it?").
A nice DVD to get some simple tricks is Ninja 1&2 from Ellusionist. It's a good place to start practising your pass as well. Here on T11 you can get Witness, which is a very simple trick but with great impact, and Dangerous, where you can find some nice, intermediate tricks (angle zero is my favourite, and it's also the easiest, and I think with the greatest impact).

Aug 1, 2008
Oh yeah, I remember the first couple of times I performed, even to people who are not totally strangers but not so close to me either... My hands shook like mad and I had to come up with all sorts of excuses ("Jee, it's reslly cold here, isn't it?").
A nice DVD to get some simple tricks is Ninja 1&2 from Ellusionist. It's a good place to start practising your pass as well. Here on T11 you can get Witness, which is a very simple trick but with great impact, and Dangerous, where you can find some nice, intermediate tricks (angle zero is my favourite, and it's also the easiest, and I think with the greatest impact).

Being the beginner magician I am, my hands STILL shake when performing. I usually say "It's cool, I've always shaken this way" real quick and don't ever mention it again, so usually the spectators give little to no importance to my shakyness, which in turn gives me more confidence, and I shake a little less.

I've done some pretty lame tricks in front of laymen that were friends of my friends and they blew them away.

I mean, you really don't need to buy loads of DVD's to do impressive card magic to laymen.

Born to Perform is a great DVD, it gets you started right away, but don't be shy to use the moves you learn from it to create your own routine.

cheers!

lance_amini

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2008
Bahrain
will my shayness problem is the reason why i dont improve too much

and about the magic i want stuf that i can do them in a routin so if people told me the want more i could do magic for them more

Aug 1, 2008
will my shayness problem is the reason why i dont improve too much

and about the magic i want stuf that i can do them in a routin so if people told me the want more i could do magic for them more

Your shakiness has nothing to do with anything except the idea of approaching a stranger promising that you're going to do something "cool".

Like I said earlier, if you have Born to Perform nailed down, well just do stuff like the 2 card monte and an Ambicious Card Routine or so.

Anyway, if you've had a little bit of experience performing for your friends or so, you might realize that they always want more.
So I'd personally not worry about that. When you have a routine planned up, if you do an effect which is weaker than the last one, the audience wont react as good. What I'm trying to say is, don't ruin your "grand finale" just because the spectators are asking for more tricks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results