Magic Fiction

Jan 18, 2009
I long ago realized that my passions are all or nothing. When I get into something, it's full-tilt for the whole ride. Since I've gotten into magic and cardistry a few months ago I've read and watched all I can acquire on the subjects. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good fiction books centered around magic. I've read The Prestige (so-so) and Carter Beats the Devil (very good) but I don't know of anything else. My experience is limited.

Any suggestions? I'd also like to read up more on the theory of magic. Mindset, tactics, misdirection, psychology, sociology and the like. I've read The Magician and the Cardsharp, which was pretty good, as well as Dai Vernon's biography, also entertaining.

I'd welcome any ideas from those more versed in this area. Thanks.

RZ

Nov 7, 2008
No books

I dont have any books to list just that i learned a lot of my psychology and misdirection from watching other magicians. The next time you're watching a performance pay more attention to where he/she focuses their eyes and how they talk rather than the trick itself. Hop onto youtube and watch some of the street magic stuff it's more up close, and you can get an idea of how you want to present yourself during a performance. Hope that helped.:)

Nov 12, 2008
Real secrets of magic by David Stone is a good book. It's more on the theory of walking up to a table, how to keep there attention, how to structure your routines, "verticalizing" your magic.. etc. It's very good and also Jay Sankeys beyond secrets was a good read and has many topics covered in mini chapters. A good way to think differently about your magic. HE talks about coordinating your actions, how to practice, the "bubble" theory with your hands, and his DVD Restaurants and Bars also has theory on how to approach tables and stuff. Hope this helps :p

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results