Magic for extremely smart people?

Dec 5, 2007
Hello everyone!

I see alot of people on other forums asking what they sould performe if they were going to performe for people that were really smart, the most common answer is have a good presentation and anything will work. But if you dont think about the presentation and just the effects. What would you performe if you ran in to some extreamly smart people?

I dont need any advice i were just wondering what you would use and consider most fool proof.

My personal favourit is some of dan and daves stuff.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
uhhh..... I have not seen these posts, but intelligence and magic have nothing to do with each other. If someone understand science extremely well, they will most likely use that to reason your magic, and will fail. I can't think of any other scenario in which anything taught to a person in life would help them against a magician. You can run into a**hole former magicians, which I have. But you can ususally shake them off and say Il explain to you that trick later so you dont go around telling how its incorrectly done. Then just forget about it.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
Well, I wish I had an answer for this one ! I have a friend who figures out almost everything I show her, she's very smart and by reverse thinking she almost always understand the mechanics of the trick.

However, she's not the type of person who truly enjoys magic, she considers it more like a challenge to her ability to understand things, and when she doesn't she gets very upset...So I stopped performing for her. That's as simple as that.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Well, I wish I had an answer for this one ! I have a friend who figures out almost everything I show her, she's very smart and by reverse thinking she almost always understand the mechanics of the trick.

However, she's not the type of person who truly enjoys magic, she considers it more like a challenge to her ability to understand things, and when she doesn't she gets very upset...So I stopped performing for her. That's as simple as that.

If you are just showing her magic, she won't be entertained and she will think of it as a puzzle. But if you work on you patter, and make it entertaining, hse will not worry about the secret.
I believe that just about every effect can be done to everybody, and fool them. But only if it is entertaining.

(I am speaking to a begginer here since I dont know your knowledge level) There are effects in magic called sucker effects, where the audience thinks they figured it out, then they are wrong. Those would be good to do to her, or to skeptics you come across.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
skeptics? there is nothing to be skeptic about when it comes to magic. everyone knows its all a trick. although some comments on criss angel videos at youtube proves some really believe that criss angel can levitate and walk on water. they are probably christians.

Dec 5, 2007
If you are just showing her magic, she won't be entertained and she will think of it as a puzzle. But if you work on you patter, and make it entertaining, hse will not worry about the secret.
I believe that just about every effect can be done to everybody, and fool them. But only if it is entertaining.

(I am speaking to a begginer here since I dont know your knowledge level) There are effects in magic called sucker effects, where the audience thinks they figured it out, then they are wrong. Those would be good to do to her, or to skeptics you come across.

DO you have any recommendations on "Sucker" effects

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Well, yes and no. A magician is not claiming powers, as a psychic/ mentalist usually does. But you are trying to get them to believe you are magical. Or whatever your character is , you want them to believe in what you say, if they don't believe you they are being skeptical, and hance the name skeptics.

Every once in a while you will find someone, who can explain wha they saw you do. Though if you performed and didn't just do a trick, they will take you aside and discuss it with you away from others. At least, this has always been my experience. I don't think I have ever had someone blurt out any explanations in the middle of a performance. But after some shows, I have had people inquire as to methods during meet and greets.
I find this a great opportunity to learn from. From this, I know what works and what doesn't, and why. Is it my performance angle? Did I flash? Is it just a bad effect? When someone can explain to me most of everything I did, then you know that he/she has some magical knowledge, and they are not just guessing. I always ask about their past and invite them to our local club meetings.
Turn it into a positive and learn from it.

Chad

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
I don't bother reading anything past the first posts. I just get frustrated with the lack of tested theories and unjustified opinions.

I perform whatever I want for a really smart person, or intellectual thinker, because before they know I'm even a magician, I get them in an emotional mindset, which solves the problem of intellect getting in the way.

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
I have some friends that are very "smart" but the best example i can give you is my friend david. He just has to know everything, including how i do my tricks.
For me i dont do tricks for him anymore, because he does not appreciate them, understand? If they are "smart" and figure everything out. They most likely just want to know how you do it (OCD thing)

so what i would say is dont perform for them because they dont appreciate our skills and dedication to this art!

hope this helps

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results