Magic For The Studio Audience

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Well, the performance for the broadcasting class at school went awesome! The video will be played tomorrow, and I gave them a flash drive to save it for me so I can show everyone here!

They invited me back again (I never knew how great of a feeling it is when someone is so amazed by you that they invite you back a second time). Anyhow, they want me to perform for a slightly larger studio audience, and once again getting it on camera.

I was thinking this:

Start with Paperclipped, by Jay Sankey.
Go to put cards back into box, and a spongeball has somehow appeared inside there. (using Sankeys "Pandora's Box")
Do a Spongeball routine.
Go back to the cards, and do either:
A.) Bigger Finish by Mr. Sankey
-or-
B.) Astral Projection using the stand-up handling for larger audiences.
Lastly, talk about how most people get warmed up before they start, but I get warmed up at the end...finish with SMOKE.

My questions here are, should I go with A.) or B.) for after the spongeballs? Should I use spongeballs, or fill it with something else (if I use my Idea I have to order another Pandora's Box gimmick)? If something else, what else would work there? Would the stuff I am using play well for a larger audience? Is the length of this routine good? Should I add or take away some?

Sorry for all the questions I just have never done anything for an audience this large!

Any helpful comments are appreciated!

Also, note, I talked to the teacher, and he approved SMOKE (I explained to him that it was really water vapor, and would not set off any alarms)

Thanks,
Rob

Nov 8, 2007
Close with Paperclipped, don't open with it. Paperclipped is too strong to use it as an opener to segue into spongeballs. If you use it as an opener I think you'll find a good portion of your audience will not be with you for your next effect or two because their minds will still be on Paperclipped. It's going to be magic overload. Paperclipped is a thinker, so it's not something you want to do and then rush ahead on. It really needs time to marinate. Close with it instead of open with it, and I guarantee the lasting impression of the effect will be much stronger than if you had opened up with it (especially if you then went back and did another card effect at the end).

I'm not sure what other material you do, but out of the effects you listed, the items and the order I would suggest performing them would be open with Smoke (works great as an opener because it starts out so innocent and ends up being a visual miracle--it eclipses the expectations people have for the effect), then go into your spongeball routine, then end with Paperclipped. That's all you need--anything more and I think you'll be diluting each effect and coming across like you're doing as much as you can regardless of whether the structure works. I definitely wouldn't add in one of the two other card effects, as all three of them are really closers. Keep it tight and let each effect breathe as much as possible.

Also, congrats on your first appearance going well, and good luck with the follow-up.

Mar 5, 2010
Hello guys,
I must agree with Mat. Opening with "Paperclipped" will leave everyone wondering about the first effect whilst you perform the others. Which, in a way, could destroy the effect of you're other tricks. I think you should re-think either you're routine's structure, or the tricks entirely. Paperclipped is great, but not as an opener. Maybe open with smoke? If you use a sharpie again, it will completely disarm them from any thought of the marker being involved? Just an idea, but those are just thoughts.

Anyways, I truly hope it goes well for you, and that you develop a routine that will work.

Regards,
--Brandon Wylie

Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
I just wanted to say great job, dude! It sounds like your hard work is paying off. Thanks for keeping the Magic Ball rolling. (You are probably wondering what the Magic Ball is right now... I have no clue myself but it sounded motivating in my head as I was typing...)

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Haha the magic ball does sound good LOL! Thanks guys for the congrats!

I will probably cut out the other two card tricks like suggested. Thats less I will have to buy LOL.

Thanks for the tips also guys!

And for smoke, I wasn't going to do portal. I was going to do something along the lines of a spectator helping me "warm up" They rub their hands together to create warmth, and they put their hands over mine, and smoke comes out of my mouth indicating that I am "warmed up" and ready to perform!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results