Magic Shops in New York

Mar 31, 2008
Hello im from norway and i am going to New York in a few weeks and i wondered if anybody had the name of some good magic shops in new york because there is no real magc shops in norway:(
Thanks

Sep 1, 2007
Worcester, UK
Yeap Tannens Magic Store, I went in febuary this year, i bought myself a Tannens Magic Mystery Box, Just like JJAbrams, The guy even said to me "you have been watching to much theory11" I did'nt quite get what he meant as i rarely come on this site.

Anyway great store, It is located next to, or "Dr Jays" which is a gangsterish shop on 34th street i belive, and its on like the 4th floor off a office building on that street, when you walk in there will be a guy sitting at a deck, he will point out the correct floor.

I took me 2 hours to find the place.

Great Store Great City. Hope you have a great time.

Dec 13, 2007
Tannens... its a fairly famous magic shop and it has a lot of good stuff

also theres fantasma magic

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Hmm, where in New York are you staying?

Anyway great store, It is located next to, or "Dr Jays" which is a gangsterish shop on 34th street i belive, and its on like the 4th floor off a office building on that street, when you walk in there will be a guy sitting at a deck, he will point out the correct floor.

Did you mean "Dr. Dre's" like the rapper?

Oct 6, 2007

I remember my experience goig there too. It took me like 3 hours to find as well. Yeah, going into that building was kind of shady, and so unfortunate that that time I wan't really into magic s serious as aI am now.

What a waste of an opportuinity..

if you really wanted t waste money- there is a magic shop in the Toys 'r Us.

and then tannens- I love Tannens. YEs, it's small, but it is an authentic shop. It gives you a good feeling as you eventually find it. A little expensive, but quality stuff.

KevinReylek

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
NY
www.newyorkmagicproject.com
As far as pure amount of items in the store, Tannen's is a better shop than Fantasma. They carry a lot of products.

The bad about Tannen's is that there's a lot of pressure from the counter guys to purchase, the place is hard to find, and the hours are less than great. It's also kind of rare that the guys will actually demo anything for you.

Fantasma carries a bit less as far as pure quantity goes, but they do carry a lot of great stuff. They also have a huge display of authentic Houdini items, some of which are incredibly rare. It's easy to find (right next to Penn station), and is a terrific place to hang out. That, and the counter guys can and will demo pretty much ANYTHING. Also, you never know when you'll run into David Roth, Simon Lovell, Eric DeCamps, or any number of other magic celebs while you're in there.

I know this post sounds like I'm making Tannen's out to be evil. That's not the case at all. It is a good shop that carries lots of stuff, but it just doesn't have nearly as comfortable an atmosphere as Fantasma.

I definitely recommend stopping by both stores, but I think you'll be more likely to spend a larger chunk of time in Fantasma.

Also, you can check out Rogue's if you're in Queens at all.

Apr 29, 2008
NY magic stores

hey guys... im going to New York city in June, and i hope to see a magic store there.. in Canada, we don't have very many magic stores. can someone tell me what kinds of magic stores are there?? and what kind of stuff they have there.

im hoping for cards...:D

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
http://www.ronjo.com/

I live in NY, and have never even been to a magic shop.
Kind of depressing, but sometimes they charge more money in shops than from an online store.

Well no duh they charge more money- how do you expect them to make profit? They have to buy the products online, then mark them up a little bit so they can keep their store alive. Personally, I'd much rather support my local brick 'n mortar shop than shop online; even if that means paying a little extra. Too bad I don't have a local brick 'n mortar shop. :(

May 7, 2008
Well no duh they charge more money- how do you expect them to make profit? They have to buy the products online, then mark them up a little bit so they can keep their store alive. Personally, I'd much rather support my local brick 'n mortar shop than shop online; even if that means paying a little extra. Too bad I don't have a local brick 'n mortar shop. :(

Actually, chances are they're paying the same price for the products that the online shops pay (distribution/wholesale etc.) but charge more because they have overhead to account for. Especially in NY...it's not cheap to run a shop with lease, insurance, etc.

Tannens Magic, on 34th and Broadway...
It usually has more things in stock then Fantasma. Looks like a simple store. For the most part the help is good.

Fantasma, on 33rd between 6th and 7th avenue. Looks like a magical place. Owner loves houdini and collects alot of houdini related things.

Really depends on which one is better for you... But there about 2-3 blocks away from each other so go to both. Whenever i go to fantasma, i always go to tannens, and vise versa.
Hope you enjoy them. Il be stopping my tannens hopefully this week to pick up a custom pk ring.

Sep 4, 2007
Tannens is great. I work there, you will find a lot of real working magic books, dvds, and effects. Fantasma i find a cool place to hang out and jam with friends, and less of a store. Rogues magic in queens is a fun place to go to aswell.

Oct 8, 2007
Rogue (and his store) is awesome! He has all the latest cards like S&M, Black Ghost, Vintage bikes, etc. I also went to Fantasma. Not as big of a card selection, but some very nice tricks there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results