Magic That Makes You Feel Good

Hey guys, I'm looking for a trick that doesn't really astound people, or blow them away. But instead just makes them smile and cheers up their day. Alot of the time, I see people that are sad, and I'm looking for a way that could just make them go "aww, thank you you've made my day".

Am I making sense? I'm looking for a trick that usually would be done on a single spectator, and this peculiar spectator would just be having such a terrible day. Then I come along, and say "hey, it's going to be alright", I'll give them a pat on the back, and then do something magical!

Any ideas on a trick that can accomplish this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Thanks in advance!

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
I think just about any effect can do this. It all depends on your presentation.

Decide what you want to accomplish (it seems you know that already) and integrate a simple effect into some presentation which does this.

As for which effect to use, it's up to you. I do remember seeing an effect a long time ago which I enjoyed in which a nice smiley face was drawn on the back of a random card and proceeded to jump from the back of one card to another. There was some nice presentation about happiness and smiling and the smile ended up on a signed chosen selection and was given as a souvenir. This type of thing would probably suit what you're looking for, so be creative and keep the focus on a message like happiness rather than focusing on the effect itself.

If you come up with something, I'd love to see a performance video :)

I think just about any effect can do this. It all depends on your presentation.

Decide what you want to accomplish (it seems you know that already) and integrate a simple effect into some presentation which does this.

As for which effect to use, it's up to you. I do remember seeing an effect a long time ago which I enjoyed in which a nice smiley face was drawn on the back of a random card and proceeded to jump from the back of one card to another. There was some nice presentation about happiness and smiling and the smile ended up on a signed chosen selection and was given as a souvenir. This type of thing would probably suit what you're looking for, so be creative and keep the focus on a message like happiness rather than focusing on the effect itself.

If you come up with something, I'd love to see a performance video :)

I figured I was going to do a tear and restore effect, where I'll have a card represent that person's day. "Sometimes, days don't go the way we want them to" Then I'll tear the card. "But if you just stop, and analyze all the good things in your life" I'll show them each piece of the card. "And remember that important life rule 'enjoy the little things', you can piece your life back together and you'll see, that everything isn't as bad as it seems" Then I'll restore the card.

I've always wanted to do a trick like that, except... well i don't know how to do a tear and restore... Haha do you know any easy tear and restores that are really good yet not too hard to do? I'm not really loving "DIVIDED" by Jesse Beinberg because its not an actual tear and RESTORE, key word = restore.

But I really love your suggestion, with the smile drawn on a card. I guess I can do a color change routine with the smiley face keeps changing to represents someone's day. Thanks so much for your input!

you probably shouldnt make a point that their day is going bad.
a cool optical illusion is the old "make george washington smile" illusion. where you fold the bill and either george looks sad or happy depending on how you bend the paper. that is a real good smile effect.
maybe something with a happy stickfigure also might work

Dec 12, 2010
You could do something like the clipshift with patter of one card is their bad day, and it turns into a "Better Day"

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
Deep 3 by Bro Gilbert can do this also. The presentation and psychology built into this trick can automatically cheer up someone because you are asking them to remember their first kiss/best kiss or their best friend in school, etc. This acheives two things: 1) They are remembering a happy, positive memory about a person who brings a smile to their face, therefore cheering them up. 2) It enlightens and astonishes the spectator as it is their memory (their happy memory, that is) and it is impossible for you to know.
Highly recommend it. Just use the presentation used on the DVD and they will feel fan-dabby-dosey!!!! :D

Oct 22, 2010
Alchemy? change a coin into something funny or something that makes them happy.
Don't have alchemy but IMO the concept will work.

Apr 1, 2009
California
keep it simple. Change money and hand it out. Give them something they can relate to that would make them feel better on a bad day. a card changing? not so much... being broke and wanting to go out... BAM seeing money appear or change into a higher value. Candy effects are fun for this too. Kids get a smile from that as well.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Go with what AsherF said, maybe not going as far as handing them cash but give them an opportunity to fail or look stupid and make them the star of the trick. If you can leave them with something they can remember the moment by that's even better.

Truth is, if you go into the psychology of magic and people any object can be made in to a powerful, positive memory. It's all to do with your performance and the more you learn about human behaviour, psychology, social dynamics...etc the more deadly you will be as a magician.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results