Magic Videos: Good or Bad?

Do magic videos help or hurt you as a magician serious about making contacts?

• Yes, videos help your cause.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Well, there's probably a better way...

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Hey guys,
I've been trying to get some exposure as a local magician and I've posted about 4 videos so far on MySpace and YouTube, and it's got me thinking...

Should I use videos of my performances to help get my name out there?
I'm still so new to magic, I'm constantly tweaking and improving routines and presentations... In a few months, what I thought was good will be embarrassing...

Making your reputation by word of mouth is harder, but you can easily become legendary- especially if you NEVER repeat tricks for the same audience and only perform when you feel like it. NEVER bend under pressure. When you do perform, you give 'em a show.

Links to one or two FLAWLESS videos on your business card could be a nice supplement after a great live performance.

Should you post great videos of tricks that are your "bread and butter," (tricks that you use everyday in your routines) or tricks that you almost never do that are a little more difficult/angle sensitive so you can show your audience something different from what they saw in your video?

One last note: We're talking real promo videos. Like "Official Theory 11" quality. Not some kid doing a color change in his bedroom.

Please discuss...

I would say that it could help but, proving to them in person would be even better.
Be known to them as the guy who did _____ with ____ to me, make a lasting impression and it will be better than a promo video.

When I say be known as one who did that, I don't mean do this one thing and make them go "oh yeah he can do ____", do a great performance for them and have them remember you. A specific example of remembrance is used as it means you really made an impression as they can remember a very specific thing you did (months ago I did a trick to my friend Grace and she still remembers it and asks to see it again, I humbly procrastniate :D)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results