Magician walks into a playing movie screen and produces items?

Mar 28, 2018
As a kid, I had 1960's-era book contaning a brief story (with hand drawn pictures) of a magician performing a trick that looked to be circa 1930's. It was a mentalist illusion - the performer would walk on stage and a movie film played behind him of a Victorian-era sitting room, empty of people. Someone in the audience would shout out an item visable in the film, and the performer would proceed to walk into the screen, where he would appear on film. The now "film performer" would then grab the selected item, and walk out of the movie and appear on stage with the item.

I'm not looking for how to do it. I'm trying to find the book. In my memory the book looked like "Dunningers Complete History of Magic", but that's not it. I've heard that this trick was performed at the New York Worlds Fair (1939), but can't find any reference to it.

Any background on the history of this trick would be welcome. And any ideas on what this book could be - memory says it was published around 1969, written for a younger/teen audience - would be greatly appreciated.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results