Magicians Without Cards?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Hey guys, I have heard this quote on different forums, and heard it discussed, and I thought I would bring it here, as I think it will make for a good discussion.

"Take away a magician's cards and see how good he is."

I have heard a lot of people say that they agree with this, and that it would a "neat experiment". However, I could not disagree with this quote more. I'm sure, if given this "test" quite a few magicians could do fairly well; the magicians that are stage magicians, coin magicians, etc.

The fact is, the writer of this quote chose the most common genre of magic performed, and decided it would be fun to take it away from magicians. Just because a magician chooses one genre and excels at it, doesn't have any indication upon his skill level when that genre is taken away from him.

This would be like going up to a magi that has only performed with a TT for his whole life, and ripping the TT from his hand, and asking a judge to judge him. This would be unfair to this magician, because he, unlike those who learn thousands of tricks from dozens of different genres and suck at every one of those effects, has found a genre that he excels at, and has stuck with it.

To be honest, if someone took my cards away, I would be lost. I rarely perform with anything other than cards, because I know I'm good with cards, and I just like the magic you can do with them.

However, after all this ranting, I can see the point the author of this quote is trying to make; that a magician should know a couple different pieces of magic from each genre; that he should be well rounded. And I agree with this somewhat, but I don't think how well a magician can perform with something other than his main genre is any measure of his skill.

Please, I would like to hear your guys' opinion on this quote... let's discuss!

Sep 1, 2007
slight of hand isnt limited to coins cards ect.

im constantly vanishing friends pens, erasers, and other things

so i believe the quote is wrong

C

clarrus

It's interesting, because we do things that defy logic and normal practice, they want to increasingly make our hobby/job harder on us. They don't understand that it's a skill and art.

I'm sure all of us had the scenario where one of the audiences wanted us to do a trick under THEIR conditions.

It's quite unfair actually. We don't go to musicians and say "Hey play that song but this time break 3 of your strings." Or stop a basketball player in the middle of a game to try to explain how he is dribbling and doing a jump shot and then tie his shoes together and if he trips and falls, it's because he's not a REAL basketball player.

I think we need to find a way to make people understand that our performances are performances for people to enjoy.

Also I think it's fine for us to excell in one genre of magic. Should we go to a drummer and say, "You should know another method of making music." etc.

A magician without cards is like a a Ninja without his Nunchucks.
Take them away from either group and you'll get killed.

Haha bravo to that.

Especially if they took away someones Jerry's. The there'll be hell to pay.

But, honestly I agree with Clarrus' post. Your allowed to excel in one part of magic, you don't need to know the others.

Although many magicians, like David Stone for example, excel in numerous aspects of magic, using unconventional items. Like Jay Sankey has a whole DVD on ear plugs. It's the entertainers choice if they want to use just cards, coins, ear plugs, or camera tricks.

Although if you took away someones camera tricks they'd be pretty f%$&#d.

-Happy Holidays,
-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
My thoughts on reading this... Take away a magician's cards, any tools we'll say, and what is he? I think a true magician would be the person who will still amaze you without being able to fall back on his tools. What I mean is still being able to entertain without cards. Personality. What are we after all if not performers? What happens when you take away an actor's script? Maybe he'll (or she..) frown and claim it's unfair, or possible he'll blow you away with acting from his heart. Hit you with a good joke, you know? It's the personality behind the trick that I think of when I read this. A magician should be able to captivate an audience without the use of magic.

Peace

Sep 3, 2007
Kentucky - Temporarily
Let me explain one of my personal core theories of magic:

If your "weapon" of choice is a deck of cards, then without cards or applicable objects to card technique, you cannot perform magic in that instance. If your weapon of choice is coins, and you have no coins or objects applicable to coin technique, then you cannot do magic in that instance.

However, if your weapon is an array of skills that enable you to perform magic whenever a skill can be used, you are magical, much like a musician is musical.

A trumpet player who only studies the trumpet, will only allow him to play a trumpet and know a trumpet, but until he studies MUSIC and develops an array of skills in music, will he be musical, and a musician rather than a trumpeter.

With this theory, I've been able to make magic a part of my personality so that I can be myself all the time, and not have to change into my "magic-trick character." Because magic is a part of who I am, rather than me simply knowing some card tricks, I'm able to interweave magic in through conversations or casual situations like nothing, because of its coherency with my personality.

That's my answer and I worked hard for it.

|| sean ||

A magician without cards is like a a Ninja without his Nunchucks.
Take them away from either group and you'll get killed.

I think Danny Garcia is the only ninja that uses Nunchucks. The rest use there swords and those throwing things.

Back to the topic. Lee Asher did say to pick 3 pieces and become the best at it. I think that the quote is wrong. Not every magician uses only cards. Look at chris kenner, he does cards, coins,etc. Then on the other hand look at Dan and Dave. What would happen if all there jerry's and wynns seemed to mysteriously vanish.;)

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
that quote doesnt make any sense

take away david copperfields cards(does he have any?!)? hes still good.

take away a card magicians cards? yeah he cant do any tricks because how the **** are you gonna do tricks without cards if you are only a card magician?

hey mr world champion in chess. i take away your board and lets go play RISK and see how good you are now.

Sep 1, 2007
Just a tought id like to share. Im sure alot of people disagree with me but ..
Card magic IS overused..

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Then on the other hand look at Dan and Dave. What would happen if all there jerry's and wynns seemed to mysteriously vanish.;)

There's always the apparantly forgotten Bicycle decks...:rolleyes:

Just a tought id like to share. Im sure alot of people disagree with me but ..
Card magic IS overused..

I agree. Don't get me wrong, card magic is awesome and that's how I got started with magic, but it's only a small part of magic.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think Danny Garcia is the only ninja that uses Nunchucks. The rest use there swords and those throwing things.

Back to the topic. Lee Asher did say to pick 3 pieces and become the best at it. I think that the quote is wrong. Not every magician uses only cards. Look at chris kenner, he does cards, coins,etc. Then on the other hand look at Dan and Dave. What would happen if all there jerry's and wynns seemed to mysteriously vanish.;)

The would use 808 Rider Backs and Guardians like the rest of us...

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Take away his cards.
coins.
gimmicked suitcase from which bowling ball appears...(heh..personal example?)

I'm reminded of the movie 'The Illusionist' (Edward Norton, Paul Giamatti, Jessica Biel...)
Where Eisenheim the Illusionist takes the Crown Prince's sword from him and does a magic trick.
He had prepared this ahead of time-but the Prince challenged him to amaze the audience without all of his props and gimmicks. He did.

Planning can easily make a well prepared trick seem completely impromptu.
Yeah, take away my cards, the coins from my pocket and anything else i brought with me...but can i borrow your _____.

Now all you have to do is create an effect that you could see yourself doing.

:) just my (how)to sense...(man..that is one corny joke...)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results