Massa Playing Card Review

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
*MASSA PLAYING CARD REVIEW*

This is a review of Massa playing cards. I have had these cards for over two weeks and have been using them non-stop. Here is my review broken down pice by piece.

FINISH:

These cards have a linen finish that were made by CPC LTD. And this is one of, if not the best finishes on a deck of cards that I have ever used. They feel weird at first if you do not know what to expect when you first open them (like me) but you will love these cards, trust me.

FEEL:

I used to mock people who said that cards feel like butter but I will have to eat crow on this one. My first thought of the feel was VELVET. That is how it feels like, a playing card orgasm in your hands that you can’t get enough of.

DURABILITY:

Like I said I have had my deck for a while and they still feel ok. They are not as perfect as they were out of the box, but a night in a card clip will remedy that. The cut good, fan ok, and spring perfectly.

LOOKS:

Here is where I can say absolutely nothing bad. The box is black with metallic gold detail. The cards themselves are a diamond pattern cut the old way so it has perfect edges. The Ace of Spades is classic and elegant and the jokers are old style court jesters with cards in there hand and have two stars in the corners. The jokers are exactly the same and the deck can be used as a one way deck. The whole feel of these cards are French elegant, from the maroon red pips to the fat aces.

AVAILABILITY:

The Massa playing cards are out of print. And fairly difficult to find. I believe these will be the next Jerry’s Nugget’s and for good reason.

SUMMARY:

With an elegant and graceful look. And a perfect finish these cards will be the only cards you will want to use. Out of print and going fast I will put faith in the fact that this deck will be valuable one day. In my humble opinion these are the best cards on the market. Buy a few...hundred you wont be sorry. ;)

SCORE:

9/10 - ALMOST PERFECT

EDIT: Cheapest place I found that sells these cards www.ZomadaMagic.com (just go to the card section.)

EDIT EDIT: If anyone here has a deck let me know how you like them. ;)

-Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 30, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hm... I like the review, but I have to disagree with some things...

First, "cut good, fan okay, spring perfectly"

Massas are known for their amazing cutting ability. And are some of the best cards out there to cut with. Similar to Jerry's. They do not fan after playing with them for 5 minutes. They fan worse than Jerry's, yet not quite as bad as Wynns. And the springing, a little choppy in my opinion. They have a nice stiff, thin stock, but the springing is somewhat choppy.

My guess is that you haven't fully broken in these cards, because they have a completely different feel after they've been used a bit. After all, cards aren't meant to be used right out of the box.

-Kevin

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Hm... I like the review, but I have to disagree with some things...

First, "cut good, fan okay, spring perfectly"

Massas are known for their amazing cutting ability. And are some of the best cards out there to cut with. Similar to Jerry's. They do not fan after playing with them for 5 minutes. They fan worse than Jerry's, yet not quite as bad as Wynns. And the springing, a little choppy in my opinion. They have a nice stiff, thin stock, but the springing is somewhat choppy.

My guess is that you haven't fully broken in these cards, because they have a completely different feel after they've been used a bit. After all, cards aren't meant to be used right out of the box.

-Kevin

Hmm I have had nothing but good springs. Although that might be my porper's fault ;)

-Michael

May 9, 2008
I do have to agree, they are probably some of the best cards out there. Mine fan good for longer than 5 minutes. I would say you get about 2 solid days out of these for fanning. You can always use fanning powder after that.

One word sums up these cards..... SUPERB.

May 9, 2008
I sell them for less than that website and I'm reputable. I'm not out to make a huge profit. You can check my Ebay feedback. My user is thegooniesfan28. 100% positive feedback. PLEASE contact me before purchasing from that site. I take paypal. I ship the next day payment is received. I can send paypal invoices. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2755

I sell them for less than that website and I'm reputable. I'm not out to make a huge profit. You can check my Ebay feedback. My user is thegooniesfan28. 100% positive feedback. PLEASE contact me before purchasing from that site. I take paypal. I ship the next day payment is received. I can send paypal invoices. Thanks.

If your like me, I can't use Ebay. So this is one of the cheapest you'll find online. :) I heard of this site before.

-Doug

May 9, 2008
Like I said, I'm not selling these on eBay currently. I can accept payment through PayPal. I'm not disputing that site is reputable, but I can provide cheaper prices, and faster shipping. Business is business whether you wrap in a up in a shiny website or done through word of mouth.

We should probably keep this thread on topic, which is reviewing the cards, not buying/selling them.

The cards are out of print, and gaining popularity among card enthusiasts. If you buy them by the brick they come in an awesomely shiny brick box, which looks very similar to the card box. The black and gold backs are quite attractive and do grab attention. They were made by Carta Mundi and were said to be the highest quality playing card they ever made in terms of stock, ink and printing, and card boxes. They were made for their high end customers but did not know how to market them. Massa is a luxury brand.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Like I said, I'm not selling these on eBay currently. I can accept payment through PayPal. I'm not disputing that site is reputable, but I can provide cheaper prices, and faster shipping. Business is business whether you wrap in a up in a shiny website or done through word of mouth.

Like I said before. I would rather buy from a shiny website. If anything goes wrong they are professionals and can handle better than you. Also I am not promoting this site in any way, I just think that $3.95 for a deck and 20% off for a brick is a great deal. Also they do have some other cheap items.

-Michael

May 9, 2008
Like I said before. I would rather buy from a shiny website. If anything goes wrong they are professionals and can handle better than you. Also I am not promoting this site in any way, I just think that $3.95 for a deck and 20% off for a brick is a great deal. Also they do have some other cheap items.

-Michael

Your statement that they are professionals and can handle it better than me if something goes wrong is absolutely false. #1, why do you assume I'm not a professional? #2, Do you work in customer service? I do. I can tell you for a fact that big businesses do not handle customers better than small business. That's a fact. You would rather purchase from a shiny website because you're brainwashed. You are the reason advertising works. A website is nothing more than fancy graphics. It has nothing to do with how a business operates, and it doesn't neccessarily mean they are reputable. (I'm not saying they aren't reputable, I'm just saying a fancy looking website doesn't automatically make them reputable.)

So you can get a brick from them for 20% off. That's $37.92 not including shipping. You could have purchased form TheoryGV for $35 shipped. You could have purchased it from me for even less than that. Your "Great Deal" could have been an "Awesome Deal". I understand you're trying to justify your purchase. I get it. I understand your reasoning for purchasing from them, I don't blame you or your suspicion of purchasing from someone you barely know. But understand, they probably got their supply of Massas from the same place I got mine. I have 120 bricks of Massas. In terms of quality, there is no difference between what they are selling and what I am selling. Mine were shipped from Carta Mundi in Texas, to Massa in New Jersey, to a wholesale warehouse in California, to me in Minnesota, then to whoever purchases them at this point.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
These are not going to be worth anything substantial for quite a while dude. They are not in limited quantities......

-Alex

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
Your statement that they are professionals and can handle it better than me if something goes wrong is absolutely false. #1, why do you assume I'm not a professional? #2, Do you work in customer service? I do. I can tell you for a fact that big businesses do not handle customers better than small business. That's a fact. You would rather purchase from a shiny website because you're brainwashed. You are the reason advertising works. A website is nothing more than fancy graphics. It has nothing to do with how a business operates, and it doesn't neccessarily mean they are reputable. (I'm not saying they aren't reputable, I'm just saying a fancy looking website doesn't automatically make them reputable.)

So you can get a brick from them for 20% off. That's $37.92 not including shipping. You could have purchased form TheoryGV for $35 shipped. You could have purchased it from me for even less than that. Your "Great Deal" could have been an "Awesome Deal". I understand you're trying to justify your purchase. I get it. I understand your reasoning for purchasing from them, I don't blame you or your suspicion of purchasing from someone you barely know. But understand, they probably got their supply of Massas from the same place I got mine. I have 120 bricks of Massas. In terms of quality, there is no difference between what they are selling and what I am selling. Mine were shipped from Carta Mundi in Texas, to Massa in New Jersey, to a wholesale warehouse in California, to me in Minnesota, then to whoever purchases them at this point.

I will not argue any longer, the point is people buy some. Not for you or TheoryGV to advertise.

-Michael

May 9, 2008
We know, that's why the time to pick them up is now. Why wait for the price to go up? Last year they were selling at really high prices. The price has gone down recently, but the card are still awesome and the supply won't last forever.

So it's ok for you to advertise another website but not for me to simply state that I have them available for less? I purchased my supply simply to share with others in the community, to provide awesome cards at a price everyone can afford. Cards are my hobby, I'm just out to share the joy. Simply put, if you would rather overpay go ahead. You're the one pointing out websites. I simply stated that if you're looking for a deal to contact me instead of overpaying.

I'm sure that website is great as far as website prices go. I haven't really seen better on another website. I'm just letting people know that there are other suppliers out there. If you're point is "People buy some" then my point is "Hey from me". For people to "buy some" there needs to be a supplier. I just happen to be providing them at the best price I've seen.

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
yes 8 years ago there were 100,000. No longer is there nearly that many. That doesn't mean there isn't a ton floating around. Out of print doesn't mean anything man. On another note the cards are great, powder them and they are gold guys. Fan perfectly, which is something they usually sucked ass at.

-Alex

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results