Mechanics Bottom deal pointers

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Hello.
Soon I am going to be on a plane for 12 housing I would like something to practice the trip. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers or tips on the Mechanics Bottom Deal. I'm mostly wondering how to push the top card over and how to keep the 2,3,4 fingers from sticking below the deck.
With the top card, do you push it to an angle off of the based the thumb or too the right strait off? Also do you use the tip or pad of the thumb?
With the fingers I just can't seem to get them to stay at the side of the deck and work as a unit to push the card out. They all just hang there because I can't keep them atthe side while I take the card. Because of this it comes off at a angle pivoting off the based of the thumb.
Sorry for the long post but I don't want to be practicing the wrong technique for a good few hours to find I've gained a bad habit.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
My answer is based on how I do it (so keep that in mind as it is certainly not the only way to do it):

I push the top card over at an angle (it pivots at the base of the left thumb). However, I push it over just slightly (about 0,5 cm). I do this because I take the card with the middle finger of my right hand, so I don't need much cover from the top card (my index finger covers the important moment).

With the fingers I just can't seem to get them to stay at the side of the deck and work as a unit to push the card out. They all just hang there because I can't keep them atthe side while I take the card. Because of this it comes off at a angle pivoting off the based of the thumb.

You don't have to use all three fingers to push the card out. If it is easier for you, just use your middle finger to loosen the card and then strike the card out.
Are you having trouble keeping the deck in your hand? If so, you have to experiment a bit with the grip. I had this problem for quite some time. Eventually I found that because of my rather long fingers, I have to hold the deck pretty high in my hand. Maybe this helps you aswell and saves you some time.

Joey

Reactions: Mr_ARPY

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks for the reply joey, I was hoping to get one from you as I have seen your bottom deal before. In response to the grip I have found one that fits a packet 16 cards nicely however my fingers hang. Do you have recommendations for the 3,4 fingers if I do the push out with my 2 finger? Also in the taking of the card I tend to go strait from the side making my figures hang. I feel this is because I can't see a gap next to my middle finger. I assume this is because I have to lower this out the way while leaving the 3,4 on the side of the deck?

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
I'm not sure if I understand you right.

In response to the grip I have found one that fits a packet 16 cards nicely however my fingers hang.

Do you practice the deal with just a packet of 16 cards? What exactly do you mean by "your fingers hang"?
Personally, I have my third and fourth finger pretty much on the lower corner, whereas my middle finger is at the opposite corner. This yields a comfortable gap for my right middle finger to contact the bottom card.

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
I wasn't clear ill give you that. I'm working on getting the grip so I'm only using 16 cards at the moment so I can experiment. This means I can put more cars on when I'm ready.
By ' my fingers hang' I mean the just, well, hang under the deck at all times. Its the only comfortable or natural place or them I feel. I know this isn't right as I do want to work on it.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
Ok, I see. Do you have the Jason England Video about the Bottom Deal? I'd really advise to use a full deck. Otherwise you don't get used to the right pressures when holding the deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results