Mentalism

Jan 11, 2008
france
I havent been in magic very long, but i have found my favourite type of effects, to be mentalism effects. I wanted to ask what books you guys recomend, i am aware of the more famous ones, such as thirteen steps to mentalism and Practical Mental Magic.

I own Practical mental magic and was honestly a little dissapointed, i was hoping to get some psychological forces or learning muscle reading. The book is good but the effects are not quite what i expected. I feel i would never peform any of these tricks in a casual fashion. I am more curious about the mentalism effects you see modern day mentalists do.

Jan 4, 2008
Your best bet to get started is going to be with 13 steps. It is a great book and for good reason. Anyone starting out in mentalism needs to read this. Other great books include:

T.A. Waters - Mind, Myth and Magick (i would not read this one until you read 13 steps. It is a very large book with many many tricks in it. Some require props, knowledge of billets, but there are a few "gems" in there that are impromptu.

Psychological subtleties 1 contains great insight on human behavior. This of course allows many theories for forcing certain things with verbal communication, body language, etc. However, it is not a book of "tricks", it concentrates on many other things that greatly improve your performance.

Psychological subtleties 2 is mostly "tricks" that you can do based on the principles learned in PS 1. This is a great book also. It contains tricks from different mentalists who wrote into Banacheck after reading PS 1. They used the principles talked about in PS 1 and came up with some great effects.

ANYTHING by Luke Jermay is awesome. However, I would suggest holding off on his material until you become more familiar with Mentalism in general. Luke's effects are more advanced and require a little more knowledge to actually be able to pull some of them off.

MUSCLE READING? Banachek has an entire DVD dedicated to this in his 4 DVD series. It is the 3rd DVD in Bnachek's PSI series.

I could go on and on about Mentalism and I too LOVE IT. PM me anytime with questions. I know how hard it can be to find good material and to know what actually works.

Hope this helps.

Gerald

Jan 11, 2008
france
Why were you disappointed with Practical mental magic? Just wondering. Purchase The Coral Fang by Luke Jermay it's a must have in your collecton.
Practical mental magic was good, but it wasnt what i expected, i like mentalism when the situation looks completely fair and when its impromptu.

For example, going up to someone, think of a number between 1 and 10 and you reveal their number, with nothing else involved.

Practical mental magic had very good effects, and i will definately start using some once i get the technique looking good, but I wanted to also have a series of effects which are short and freaky, Practical Mental magic didnt deliver in that domain for me. Dont get me wrong though it has some good effects and its a book worth buying, i was just expecting too much from it.

Practical mental magic was good, but it wasnt what i expected, i like mentalism when the situation looks completely fair and when its impromptu.

For example, going up to someone, think of a number between 1 and 10 and you reveal their number, with nothing else involved.

Practical mental magic had very good effects, and i will definately start using some once i get the technique looking good, but I wanted to also have a series of effects which are short and freaky, Practical Mental magic didnt deliver in that domain for me. Dont get me wrong though it has some good effects and its a book worth buying, i was just expecting too much from it.

I was just wondering thanks for the response.:)

Sep 1, 2007
ANYTHING by Luke Jermay is awesome. However, I would suggest holding off on his material until you become more familiar with Mentalism in general. Luke's effects are more advanced and require a little more knowledge to actually be able to pull some of them off.

This is the first time in a while I've heard someone say that. Luke's work is fantastic, but everyone is way too quick to pimp it on beginners who just wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I'd recommend looking into some of Bob Cassidy's work. Several books of his can be purchased in PDF format at Lybrary.com.

Jan 6, 2008
Well the only mentalism dvd that I have is skullduggery and I like it its a bit an onl dvd but luke jermay learns some great psygological things and some great routines from his book

I would say just buy it its great if you like his british way of speaking like I do =)

Hope it helps

Prognostikon

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results